Got a Question (Tournamets)

Hi there, I have a question for you all, for a small tournament of say 50 people, with a buy-in of $50+$10 (for expenses), with no dealers sound fair? I would like to know what everyone thinks. The $10 would go to pay for expenses like chips and hall rental (only $500 bucks) also be free pop and water. What do you guys think? Fair or not? also would you say final table of 5 ppl, (starting with 5 tables of 10) and pay the top 5? or would you go with another brake down like 10 tables of 5 to start and final table of 10? with top 8 paying out? another thing how many rebuy-ins is fair? 0? 1? 2? 3? per person? not a fan of addons. Give me your ideas would be nice and helpfull

Thanks again.
-Braad

:c: :d: :s: :h:

Comments

• As long as you've got players willing to pay the $10 to cover expenses, you should be fine.

I'd prefer keeping the number of people at the tables higher.. tables of 5 are ok if you want shorthanded play for the whole tournament, but if you're planning a rebuy tournament then I think the 5 tables of 10 would work better. Just think about when you start losing players, you're either going to have to start breaking tables up early, or go with 3 and 4 handed tables..
    Also, if you go with 5 tables of 10 instead of 10 tables of 5, you need less tables (might cut cost?)

Don't make your final table 10 players if you start with tables of 5.

With rebuys, limit them to the first 3 or 4 blind levels. You can make them unlimited or set a number as the max. The more rebuys, the bigger the prize pool.

A good resource for setting up your own tournaments is www.homepokertourney.com. Check it out for recommended blind structures, payouts, etc..
  • Ya i was thinking if I do 5 tables of 10, the last player from each table would go to the final table, making the final table 5 players, which would be the 5 payed.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    As long as you've got players willing to pay the $10 to cover expenses, you should be fine.

I'd prefer keeping the number of people at the tables higher.. tables of 5 are ok if you want shorthanded play for the whole tournament, but if you're planning a rebuy tournament then I think the 5 tables of 10 would work better.  Just think about when you start losing players, you're either going to have to start breaking tables up early, or go with 3 and 4 handed tables.. 
    Also, if you go with 5 tables of 10 instead of 10 tables of 5, you need less tables (might cut cost?)

Don't make your final table 10 players if you start with tables of 5.

With rebuys, limit them to the first 3 or 4 blind levels.  You can make them unlimited or set a number as the max.  The more rebuys, the bigger the prize pool. 

A good resource for setting up your own tournaments is www.homepokertourney.com.   Check it out for recommended blind structures, payouts, etc..

What Hork said..
    10 player tables is the way to go. The final table would be 10 also.
    Pay out top 5 is ok but I like 7 myself. I recently heard a good rule of thumb for this. Take the number of tables and add two.
    5 tables + 2 = 7.
  • Bootown wrote:
    Ya i was thinking if I do 5 tables of 10, the last player from each table would go to the final table, making the final table 5 players, which would be the 5 payed.

That's cool too.
    This format is called a "shootout".
  • Those limits sound fair and I think people are generally ok with it. Good luck with that game.
  • I ran a small NL tourney recently. It was $20+$10, with $20 unlimited conditional rebuys(must not have more than original starting stack) and a $20 addon. I kept the blind structure fairly flat, to promote a game of skill, and to make players comfortable in the thought they would get to play for a while. Levels were 20 minutes, with a 10 minute break every 4 levels to color up chips no longer needed. We stated that the payouts would depend on how much was in the prize pool and what the average expense was per player. We made sure the smallest payout was at least the average expense per player, rounded to the nearest $5. Using the format I published for the players beforehand, we paid the top 5 players. There were 19 buyins, 26 rebuys, and 18 addons. The tournament ran about 5 hours long. I developed this by studying www.homepokertourney.com as well as www.pokerpages.com under poker information link, and adapting it. If anyone would like to see more details of my tournament setup, please pm me and I can send it to you as an .xls attachment.
  • Is it legal to have a tournament in a hall? Wouldnt we have to have a gambling liscense or something like that? its a great idea dont get me wrong but its definalty easier said then done! :s:
  • As far as I know, aslong as the person holding the tournament makes no money at all you can have cash games, I will be checking with the local laws just to make sure.

Braad
    :c: :d: :s: :h: