Computer help!

Comp, or anyone else that may be able to help. I'm having an issues with a dual monitor setup.

I have literally not touched a thing and everything has worked flawlessly for several years until now.

Out of my computer (bone stock) I have a DVI cable going to monitor 1, also I have a VGA coming out of the tower to monitor 2. In settings I select 'extend' these displays and it's worked fine.

Now no dice, they are only mirrored. When booted up and both plugged in it will just mirror one another. If I go into settings, it will only show as 1 is detected.

I tired updating the factory graphics driver but it says everything is up to date. It's Windows 10 and the tower has always had the 2 outputs which I've used to connect the 2 monitors.

Any ideas?? I'm going crazy here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• Hopefully that wasn't overly dramatic, my last effort to fix this actually did! I did a restore on the whole computer to an earlier date/time and everything appears to be back to normal.

• na, you didn't fix it, I logged in to it remotely and fixed it with the thingamajig... your welcome, bill is in the mail...;)
  • Thanks comp!

Actually your right I didn't fix it. The images and screens are back to normal, but I think my hard drive is failing. After a couple minutes of being on, it becomes completely unresponsive. It lags down with no processes running. Had the same issue just over 2 years ago and had the HD replaced and it looks like the same thing again. Bahhh. Why. So frustrating.

Also, upon power up, the PSU fan is loud as hell, I'm not sure if the fans worn out, if it suppose to be going 100% of the time the computer is on or what? But it's very loud and wasn't like that before either.

I tried checking for disk Errors and to repair them but didn't change anything.

• As for the fan, if it s the power supply fan, some of them have speed control some not, depending on temp. Blowing it out with compressed air may/may not help. You are likely right about the hard drive, if you go into task manager is the disk activity sitting at 100% for long periods of time without you starting anything up? That's usually a pretty good indication the drive is failing and constantly retrying. Any idea what type of drive they used when reloading your pc? If it was one of the green rated ones, good chance it has failed as they really don't have a long life span depending on power on hours. The black rated ones are all I would use and generally last a lot longer. Another option is to replace it with an SSD drive which makes it waaaaay faster and will also last a long time. They are generally smaller in capacity per $$$ though. If you wanted I could install a 240GB SSD, back up and restore your data, reload Windows 10 latest version for about $250. Also put Office on as well. Takes me about 4 hrs.
    This is assuming your motherboard is ok and the processor is at least a dual core.
  • Thanks for the reply comp. now I'm not sure if it's the HD, when booted up, within 15 minutes the computer is completely unresponsive with no process running at all. Then it just freezes and moving the mouse doesn't move it on screen.

Now I booted it up in safe mode w networking and Was doing various things on it for an hour and no problems at all. Maybe it is some sort of graphics card failure. It is the stock one built into the motherboard.

As for the drive, the last repair person installed a new WD BLUE 1tb drive (not solid state) with a fresh copy of Windows 10 and it's been working perfectly fine for over 2 years now...and may still be, I'm not totally sure that's what failed here. I also ran a disc check program which is suppose to check for errors and none were found. The temp was also within normal range.

For the fan, I think it's just worn out and when it used to operate silently, is still operating with a loud constant hum now.

• Upon powering up in regular mode, I just opened task manager and all numbers looked good. After 10 minutes of having task manager opened and nothing else I'm getting high 90's cpu usage and 96+% on memory. This is when the computer just completely freezes.

2f6076d7b9ba662cc5f1f0304f476bd4.jpg

• Did you ever get this resolved, I'm still willing to help if you need it.
  • Thanks comp! Appreciate all the help. Yes I got
    It fixed. I got someone who has repeated my computer in the past to fix it, locally. Wasn't hardware or a virus. He said he performed a bunch of updates on it and I've had it for a couple weeks now and it's been working great. Thank god I didn't need to replace the HDD or anything else major. Is there ever a good time for your computer to go down?