$500k GTD Grand Prix at Playground

I entered a $22 tournament on Party Poker tonight that I thought was a $5k GTD, turned out to be a satellite to win 1 of 5 seats to an online Day 1 for the Canadian Grand Prix with a $500k GTD prize pool and the live portion is at The Playground.
-
With 40 entries and 5 spots guaranteed, I managed to win a seat to the Day 1 online event. Little did I know that it started at 9:00pm EST and I was automatically late reg'd to it. You can play multiple Day 1s and take your largest stack to the live Day 2 on April 30.
-
53 players entered this Day 1 and it played for 18 levels. Got down to 7 players with two levels still to go and I had $240k at that time. Live Day two will start at level 13 (1500 / 3000 - 300), so 80 BBs would be great ! Also, they send you $400 US for expenses if you make it to Day 2.
-
I write this with 7 of us left and two levels to go. I hope the update is really good.
-
WOOHOO !! Montreal here I come ! Ended up with $198k which will be 65 BBs on Day 2

Comments

• Having position on Mike Leah also helps ;)

Good luck!
  • I know ! Couldn't believe he called an all in with 9-Ts and doubled up to over $400k
    -
  • Royal Cup obv a much tougher tournament...
  • moose wrote: »
    Royal Cup obv a much tougher tournament...

Mike Leah couldn't hack the hectic pace of the Royal Cup. D.J. How did you end up doing in the Royal ?

Congrats ..... hope you turn it into a big cash.
  • Congrats dj

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  • D.J. How did you end up doing in the Royal ?
    lol, nice dig... BTW I think you ended behind Mr Pringles as well, didn't you?:biggrin:
  • Congrats on advancing
  • compuease wrote: »
    lol, nice dig... BTW I think you ended behind Mr Pringles as well, didn't you?:biggrin:

sure, there ya go speaking the truth.......:blob"

I have already worked out a payment plan with Mathers.
  • The Royal is a MUCH tougher tournament than people realize. Mr. Pringles was solid, he never bluffed and was UBER patient. I went from finishing 2nd in the MVP race at the last Royal Cup, to finishing below Mr. Pringles this year. Some days you're the windshield and other days, you are the fly.
    -
    Mike Leah was a piece of cake compared to Mr. Pringles, lol.
  • Nice one. Good luck the rest of the way.
  • Nice work DJ! Take it down.
  • Dj.... safe trip to Montreal and turn that 22 bucks into many thousands��
  • Dj.... safe trip to Montreal and turn that 22 bucks into many thousands��
    Thanks, but if I win, I'm still not playing you at $5/$10
  • Good Luck DJ
  • Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am really looking forward to this event. So far 125 players have qualified for Day 2 and I expect it to climb to about 200 by Sunday.
    I'll update as much as I can.
  • GLGL to all forumers at playground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 277 players moved on to day 2 that starts at 1pm today. Largest stack is 1.1 million, don't know the average but I have 197,800. Blinds are 1500 / 3000 with a 300 ante and go up every 40min.
  • Your table draw looks pretty good. Don't rush and wait for a good double up spot.
  • Just had one. 190k, blinds are 2500 / 5000 I call on the button with ATc and flop is 10 high. BB shoves, I call and am now at $385k. Blinds are going to 3/6k.
    218 players left, avg is $353k
  • Good stuff!! Keep it going.
  • Second break, $480k, blinds going to 6/12k
  • Gogogo

• Great work. Let's crack the top 100.
  • Looks like 94 remain and looks like DJ is still in it. They just posted his picture up from level 21.
  • Awesome
  • Sadly, I went out in 107th. With $350k in the BB and the blinds at 10/20k with 2k ante I have 6-6 and call a preflop raise of 45k, flop comes 3-4-5 rainbow and I check raise his $50k bet to $125k, he shoves and I decide to gamble to try and double up. He shows TT and I don't improve.
    -
    The payout structure was very top heavy, so there was very little difference between 100th and even 40th places.
    -
    Still had a blast and made a little bit of money, even after expenses. All for $22
  • Good rub DJ
  • GG man. Crazy seeing photos of mike Leah's stacks. Don't know how the guy does it. You get a chance to play with him at all?

• UBetIFold wrote: »
    GG man. Crazy seeing photos of mike Leah's stacks. Don't know how the guy does it. You get a chance to play with him at all?

He was seated at the table behind me. We chatted during one of the breaks, really nice guy. He qualified in the same online Day 1 that I did.