Blogpost: Benefits of Poker Coaching. Need some feedback

Hey! I recently put a lot of efforts in publishing a blog post about the main aspects of poker coaching. I started with some brief history, the main types of coaching along with few of the benefits. I would appreciate any feedback. I wanted to keep it in the range of ~1000 words, in order not to be too long and boring. I hope I covered the topic well. Here is the post: Poker Coaching in 2017 - Main Aspects and Benefits. Thanks

Comments

• My favourite part is "you should not be investing more than up to 5-10% of your entire bankroll into poker education." I remember people recommending to buy $1,000+ books or coaching when that is many players' entire bankroll. There are enough free or inexpensive resources that you can learn most of what a coach will try to teach at your level without having to give up your bankroll.

A friend will be getting at least ten hours of coaching from a WSOP Main Event November Niner, so I am wondering what are the ways to make the best use of those ten hours. My friend talks too much instead of listening to EV-maximizing concepts such as avoiding 30%-taxed US tournaments, :rolleyes: or starting early instead of intentionally waiting to late register. :(
  • and even know some people that think 5-10% is too aggressive, so it is very much player dependent. I definitely agree with you that you can learn a lot of stuff pretty much for free (youtube is a great resource too) but this will be good just to reach a certain level. Let's say intermediate. In my opinion, to become a real shark, poker coaching from an experienced pro is a must.

So, how are you planning to benefit from the friend's coaching session. Will he share all the info with you? I guess he must stress on pure strategic concepts and not that much late-registering and stuff...
  • re: late reg

I prefer to start the tournament at the beginning. Are you saying this is -EV or +EV?
  • I think it's difficult to say, I know a lot of professional poker players start late, some even at day 2 when this is possible. Difficult to say. Some people just don't feel too comfortable playing with super large stack.

For me personally, starting from the very beginning is most optimal. Well, I don't play large 10k$ events and so on which are ultra mega deep, so it's understandable :D
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    re: late reg

I prefer to start the tournament at the beginning. Are you saying this is -EV or +EV?

Same here, Never really understood why people wanted to late reg. I want to be in from the start and have a stack to work with.
  • I put a poll on Facebook asking the pros & other players, and 86% confirmed that one should generally start early instead of intentionally waiting to late register. My "pro" friend is afraid of "getting my Aces cracked early" :rolleyes: and refuses to believe the pros until he gets a second opinion from the November Niner.
    kwsteve wrote: »
    re: late reg
  • Benefits of late regging can include getting a couple of extra hours of sleep, allows for greater mental strength for the full day of play. Or going to the gym to get a work out in. Or even some players can make more hourly in a cash game vs grinding the first couple of hours of a tournament when they may start 500bbs deep.