Holz

$16 million won this year alone! Talk about a heater. Refused a three-way deal and then crushed heads up. What is he, 23 years old? Must be nice to be considering retiring from poker already.

https://www.highstakesdb.com/7131-fedor-crownupguy-holz-wins-ept-barcelona-super-high-roller-for-13-million.aspx

Comments

• This kid is a beast and he is running pretty good too. during the one drop this year he couldn't loose.

A9 crushed pocket Jacks
    K7 beats pocket tens and get the Ace queen to fold.
    65hearts beats 98 off on a 8j6 rainbow board.

you still need to get lucky.
  • you still need to get lucky.

I'm a bit of a poker noob with a decent knowledge of the game. I recall in the movie Rounders that Matt Damon's character observed [paraphrasing]: "If it's about luck, why are the same few guys populating final tables at the main event each year?"

Are you simply saying you need to get lucky to be on a run of the magnitude Fedor is on? Or are you saying something a little more extreme - like any top player could have made this run if they could have the same "luck" Fedor's been having. One other possibility is just simply that to win say the main event luck is simply required; you can't run purely on skill in poker. Thoughts?

From what I know of Fedor (from seeing his play at the 2015 main event), he doesn't always rely on even having a hand at all to dominate a table. I even recall Norman Chad curiously remarking that Fedor "may even be more comfortable when he doesn't have a good hand to work with," which may be exaggeration but it does contain some truth about Fedor's style of play.

I don't know, it's been a while since I've posted or visited the site and I realize this thread hasn't had much action in a while, but I thought I'd throw that into the pile. Wonder if I said anything decently viable...
  • You need luck to be on the role holz has had this year despite how good he is. He is an amazing tournament player and even with luc on their side there are few people that could put together a year like his.

To win the main (one event) you definitely need luck especially nowadays with the thousands of entrants.
  • sard1010 wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a poker noob with a decent knowledge of the game. I recall in the movie Rounders that Matt Damon's character observed [paraphrasing]: "If it's about luck, why are the same few guys populating final tables at the main event each year?"

Are you simply saying you need to get lucky to be on a run of the magnitude Fedor is on? Or are you saying something a little more extreme - like any top player could have made this run if they could have the same "luck" Fedor's been having. One other possibility is just simply that to win say the main event luck is simply required; you can't run purely on skill in poker. Thoughts?

From what I know of Fedor (from seeing his play at the 2015 main event), he doesn't always rely on even having a hand at all to dominate a table. I even recall Norman Chad curiously remarking that Fedor "may even be more comfortable when he doesn't have a good hand to work with," which may be exaggeration but it does contain some truth about Fedor's style of play.

I don't know, it's been a while since I've posted or visited the site and I realize this thread hasn't had much action in a while, but I thought I'd throw that into the pile. Wonder if I said anything decently viable...

A9 crushed pocket Jacks

These were just a few of the flips he won, from behind....... Fedor is obviously a very smart player but to win any big tournament you need to win the flips.

So.....once in a million some random can luckbox a big win but the top guys have amazing skills but still need a little luck .
  • A9 crushed pocket Jacks

Sorry, shoulda paid better attention to trigs' intial post, the above examples pretty much answer my question.

By a flip it seems you are not just referring to an all-in situation. Do you just mean the "flip of the cards," like how in the second example it seems Fedor may have "flipped" or flopped or turned or rivered a King to beat out the 10's?
  • A9 crushed pocket Jacks Holz got his money in with only a 27% chance of winning and got lucky
    K7 beats pocket tens and get the Ace queen to fold. got it all in with a 22% chance of winning and got the AQ to fold he was then only 28% to win against the pocket 10's and got lucky
    65hearts beats 98 off on a 8j6 rainbow board here he got it in with only a 19% chance of winning the hand and got lucky.....

hope this helps and hope I wasn't just trolled with the "flip" thing.
  • Definitely not trolling you, and I'm glad you're not trolling me cause it seems I keep missing the boat lol. It seemed based on how some of the scenarios were worded that they were not all-in scenarios, but you just verified for me that they were. Appreciate the feedback

EDIT: I seem to be getting confused, perhaps I mean "By flip, does this mean all-in pre-flop or just all-in at some point during the hand?"

If I'm understanding, for example, the third scenario indicates an "all-in" declaration after the flop. I guess I always thought that a flip was like that classic "pocket sevens vs. AQ" where they get it all-in pre-flop type thing, but maybe that's what they usually call a "race."

Either way, perhaps I'm veering this thread pretty far off the point but I'm still glad we can slowly clear this up lol.
  • usually the term "flip" refers to an all-in preflop with one player holding overcards (such as AK) and the other player holding a pocket pair (such as QQ). in this scenario, it is basically a coin flip 50%-50% chance to win for each player.
  • FK U TRIGS!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk