Anyone know about fence prices ?

My 80 year old parents need a small fence job done . 40 linear feet of 6 ft wood fence and 4x4 posts .... They are getting quoted $ 2000 all in. This seems high for such a small section of fence.

Anyone know a guy in the GTA ?

Comments

• My 80 year old parents need a small fence job done . 40 linear feet of 6 ft wood fence and 4x4 posts .... They are getting quoted $ 2000 all in. This seems high for such a small section of fence.

Anyone know a guy in the GTA ?

Sent out a bunch of request

Fence | Fence, Stair, Siding, and Deck Building Services in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds
  • I know these guys are pretty highly thought of in Milton but not sure if they would go wherever your parents are.. I have no personal experience with them however..

:: Contact Us ::
  • I'll come help you on the weekend. Rent a gas auger. Sounds like 5 or 6 posts. A few bags of concrete. A handful of 2x4s and some 1x6s. Screws not nails. I'm sure you have a HD nearby. I'll wear my sexy carpenter outfit. Shouldn't be more than $15/ft but I haven't priced lumber recently. Posts are the hardest part. Still, EZ game.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • Thanks for the offer. very nice of you.

I may get Mr post hole to do the posts and just do the boards with the neighbors kid.

probably the best option.
  • Oh ya that is a great option too. Because that is the hardest part and most critical. Just don't let the posts sit there in the ground without at least the fence structure in place. I guess there's a chance the posts could twist or warp. So get the 2x4s up within a day or two.

The fence boards are nice relaxing work you can do at your own pace. Let me know if you need help. I've built a few over the years.

I wonder what they charge to put in a post now? Probably depends on access and soil type. If it's more than $50 plus lumber, I should get in the business!

• I am in the process of putting up 18' of the aluminum railing on my deck with the tempered glass and that's running around $800. I don't think $2000 bad for 40'.
  • But this is wood man!

• That's $50/foot after all.

• Kijiji.ca 1x6x6 white cedar $300 for 100 pieces. That should do it. Throw in 15 2x4x8s for <$75. Plus whatever for the posts installed. That's the low end.

• Standard pricing from the crap guys like CanDo is $35 a foot for PT with 4x4 posts. But their work is crap. Great if you're selling, not if you're staying more than 2 yrs.

The good guys are around $50/ft but the work will last longer and look better. They'll use Sonno tubes and proper concrete mix, actually run a line so it's straight, etc.

If you're doing it yourself, invest the savings in 6x6 posts. It's soooo worth it.
  • PM sent.
  • $50? A FOOT? ????

• That's about the going rate for a decent quality job, have you priced labour recently?
  • There's got to be at least 1k profit in there. One guy who knew what he was doing could hire a couple students over the summer and make a killing. The trick is keeping the jobs lined up.

• Yeah, because stuff like this is just so easy any monkey could do it. There's no real skill in carpentry, so just throw a couple of kids at it for minimum wage and rake in the money. And if the fence falls down in a year, who cares, you already got paid.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    There's got to be at least 1k profit in there. One guy who knew what he was doing could hire a couple students over the summer and make a killing. The trick is keeping the jobs lined up.

Have you ever tried hiring todays kids to do anything other than play on a pc? Even the kids we bring in to our pc store as co-ops are mostly lazy as sh**... Asking them to do physical work? You gotta be kidding.... ;)

I challenge you to put together a budgetary plan with materials and labour showing me how you can make 1K on a job of this size...
  • Look back a few posts. The only 'skill' in this is getting the posts in right. Trust me, if I could put up 200 feet of 5+1 foot fence, just about anyone could. It isn't rocket surgery.

I could easily find 10 kids wanting to do a good job. Come on gramps!

• FWIW I had a fence put in here back in 2011 and dug up the quote - was 43 feet at $29 per ft, plus $125 for the gate (so right at $1500 all in)

was a reputable company and the fence hasn't moved at all since - unlike the neighbours cheapo job on the other side which now looks like it was installed by someone high on LSD.

agree w/ pkrfce - the difference is all in the posts. (...Once those are in - use child labour and do all the LSD you want!!!)
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    FWIW I had a fence put in here back in 2011 and dug up the quote - was 43 feet at $29 per ft, plus $125 for the gate (so right at $1500 all in)

was a reputable company and the fence hasn't moved at all since - unlike the neighbours cheapo job on the other side which now looks like it was installed by someone high on LSD.

agree w/ pkrfce - the difference is all in the posts. (...Once those are in - use child labour and do all the LSD you want!!!)
    So $1500 6 years ago, say $1800. now. Where's the 1K profit pkr is claiming? I'm assuming this is all pressure treated right. Agree the posts and their support is #1.. Don't chintz on that part.
  • I'm positive the guy @ $29/ft made no profit. 🤓

• 3 son's and I put up 350-400' of pressure treated ourselves circa mid 90's in Campbellville, don't recall the cost at that time but do recall it was a helluva lot of work. They still recall their slave driver old man... Fence still standing as of this spring.
  • You are hired! I'll supervise. Mike, have the supplies delivered early Saturday