Does my house need it's own IT department?

OK. ... so over the past couple months my 2 youngest... girls 12 & 13... have begun to wake up in the middle of the night and start watching Netflix on their TV or iPad and occasionally they will wake up others in the house with the noise...

Despite various punishments, they did not modify their behavior enough to suit my desire! So.... I've locked out all their devices from the router between the hours of 9pm and 6am... Ha!!

In addition, I've capped the daily computer usage at an hour!!

My OCD kicked in and I put every mac address into the router for every device in the house.... this was no trivial task... We have 34 items in the house that connect to the router....

1 smart TV (of 8 total flatscreens)
3 apple TVs
2 android boxes
2 iPods
4 iPads
2 Samsung tablets
2 BlackBerry playbooks
1 iPhone
5 Samsung phones
1 Wii
2 PS3s
1 PS4
1 Xbox One
1 iMac
3 laptops
2 netbooks
1 security system

I was shocked... and officially sick of hexadecimal numbers!! Got to be careful typing those suckers in!!

Dad's new nickname is the Internet Nazi!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!!! Feel the power!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comments

• holy fuck!
  • You must rule with Die Eisen Faust!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • Wait till they learn mac spoofing
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Wait till they learn mac spoofing
    I'm sure I can stay 1 step ahead of them for a few more years... maybe... hopefully!

• EIGHT flatscreens? What the fuck FOR?
  • Milo wrote: »
    EIGHT flatscreens? What the fuck FOR?
    to dust occasionally. .. duh!!

• Perhaps you should lock out you credit cards from being used at Best-buy.

Pretty sad when you are blaming pre-teens for having no impulse control when they are surrounded by temptation because their parents have no impulse control when it comes to buying these devices in the first place.

What's next, you gonna buy them $500 worth of junk food and ground them if they eat it?
  • We are a family of 7... 2 older boys in their 20s... a 15 year old boy and the 2 younger girls... Yes... the girls share a 42 inch TV in their room... clearly they are spoiled... I mean really... a TV in their bedroom... oh the horror... such bad parents we are...

let's see... TVs in living room, basement recroom, dinette/kitchen area, master bedroom, both older boys have their own and the final one in the fitness room attached to a rowing machine! Sorry for working hard all my life and spending my money!

• Card Dead wrote: »
    Perhaps you should lock out you credit cards from being used at Best-buy.

Pretty sad when you are blaming pre-teens for having no impulse control when they are surrounded by temptation because their parents have no impulse control when it comes to buying these devices in the first place.

What's next, you gonna buy them $500 worth of junk food and ground them if they eat it?
    We are a family of 7... 2 older boys in their 20s... a 15 year old boy and the 2 younger girls... Yes... the girls share a 42 inch TV in their room... clearly they are spoiled... I mean really... a TV in their bedroom... oh the horror... such bad parents we are...

let's see... TVs in living room, basement recroom, dinette/kitchen area, master bedroom, both older boys have their own and the final one in the fitness room attached to a rowing machine! Sorry for working hard all my life and spending my money!

i completely agree that you are allowed to spend your money however you see fit, and yes you have a big family of seven. however, i think you have to agree that there is just a slight bit of sense to what card dead is suggesting.
  • We are a family of 7... 2 older boys in their 20s... a 15 year old boy and the 2 younger girls... Yes... the girls share a 42 inch TV in their room... clearly they are spoiled... I mean really... a TV in their bedroom... oh the horror... such bad parents we are...

A. I am not suggesting your kids are spoiled - that would suggest they are unappreciative little brats, and since I've never met them, I cannot comment on their level of spoiledness or lack thereof. And we all spoil our kids to some degree, that's what parents do.

B. Spend your money however you want. Not my business.

C. Do you not see the irony in your post? You, as the parent, provide all these devices for your kids (about 4.5 devices per person) and then express some degree of exasperation or confusion as to why the kids can't seem to put them down. And not the Alanis Morrisette kind of irony, but the NRA member getting shot with her own gun by her two-year-old kind of irony.

Trigs gets it.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    A. I am not suggesting your kids are spoiled - that would suggest they are unappreciative little brats, and since I've never met them, I cannot comment on their level of spoiledness or lack thereof. And we all spoil our kids to some degree, that's what parents do.

B. Spend your money however you want. Not my business.

C. Do you not see the irony in your post? You, as the parent, provide all these devices for your kids (about 4.5 devices per person) and then express some degree of exasperation or confusion as to why the kids can't seem to put them down. And not the Alanis Morrisette kind of irony, but the NRA member getting shot with her own gun by her two-year-old kind of irony.

Trigs gets it.

Yup . . . but I still think that is a shit ton of TVs. Elvis would be proud.
  • I dunno we are a family of 3. We are not tv in the bedroom type people so only 2 smart flatscreens
    1 desktop
    2 laptops
    1 netbook
    3 play books
    1 nexus tablet
    1 Samsung tablet
    1 Ipad
    2 moto g smartphones
    1 android box
    1 ps4
    1 wii

The iPad in the bedroom was a problem but after changing the password and controlling his access for 6 months, so far since getting the password it hasn't been a problem. It's a connected world.
  • Okay, so which one is dedicated to staying logged into the Chiproom to get first dibs on new chips?
  • Mickey needs a intervention, 1st step is admitting he has a problem via this thread. :P I mean electronics man Moose has less for god's sake lol.

I had to graduate Grade 8 to get a t.v. in my room and it was no big screen. :)
  • moose wrote: »
    I dunno we are a family of 3. We are not tv in the bedroom type people so only 2 smart flatscreens
    1 desktop
    2 laptops
    1 netbook
    3 play books
    1 nexus tablet
    1 Samsung tablet
    1 Ipad
    2 moto g smartphones
    1 android box
    1 ps4
    1 wii

The iPad in the bedroom was a problem but after changing the password and controlling his access for 6 months, so far since getting the password it hasn't been a problem. It's a connected world.
    15/3 > 34/7

Take your hate and move on!! [emoji12]