where to start...

to relearn some hold em. Do you have any tips, strategies, resources, push sheets creative ideas for someone who wants to improve? Especially low stakes mtt poker

Comments

• Gripsed videos on youtube are the best place to start IMO. It has over 100 hours of mtt reviews and it is free. That is where i started.

Although his analysis doesn't have detailed explanations nor advanced strategy but builds a solid fundamentals on stack sizes, 3 bet jams, open in LP and calling ranges.
  • Does he get into math much? That's another direction I'm looking to take pretty heavily
  • He uses ranges through a program -can't remember it's name- like equilab and pot odds mostly.
  • I usually take an hour before playing for studying so I'll check him out
  • Good poker books have always had the highest ROI for me. I watch a lot of Twitch and videos, but profitably executing strategies you see on a screen that you don't really understand is very difficult. For my nephew who aspires to become a pro, :( I bought him Harrington's last tournament book and Matthew Janda's GTO book.
    Richard~ wrote: »
    Especially low stakes mtt poker
  • What are the titles called, sounds worth a read
  • - Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker
    - Applications of No-Limit Hold'em: A Guide to Understanding Theoretically Sound Poker
    - One of my favourite poker trainers: Jonathan Little's Excelling at No-Limit Hold'em, or Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker (3 volumes)
    What are the titles called, sounds worth a read
  • Book are being outdated really fast and most of the content is the same.

A small example is that most book tell you not to bluff in multiway pots because its harder to get folds, while the norm today is to take a stab when you are first to act in multi-way flops because it looks stronger... Also bet sizes differ entirely than what books tell.
  • Lets just say we don't have to worry about the number of funky plays in my arsenal
  • Reading the third book, it's so interesting how much my subconcious strategies are getting annoyed by conflicting information backed up by facts, I'm really not a guy to ever pass up 0.25 BB edges naturally ^^'

Lets see what we can learn from this

Edit: he's telling me to shy away from thin valuebets deep in tournaments, I pretty much make a living from making thin valuebets deep in tournaments , my heart can only take so much
  • Are you talking about Jonathan Little's Excelling at No-Limit Hold'em?
    Reading the third book, it's so interesting how much my subconcious strategies are getting annoyed by conflicting information backed up by facts, I'm really not a guy to ever pass up 0.25 BB edges naturally ^^'
  • Yeah, he's still going over basics, it's pretty interesting
  • Also I have a very mediocre first impression of gripsed now, he just tried to convince me in his videos that sitting dead last 6 handed at a final table A4 was a bad (-EV) shove utg with 6.5 BBs

He also missed an A9 shove and explained it in his comments as him being "too emotional after losing a chunk of his stack to a beat"

Will probably watch at bit more tho, don't think that final table was him at his best so
  • I know gripsed and after DirtArse's flopped set got rivered, I was rooting for him and goleafsgoeh in the WPT Fallsview final table (3-way chop). I think he is one of the better strategy-oriented streamers, along with DutchBoyd, upswingpoker, and XuanLiu.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
  • It's important to think independently about the game. Spend time just reflecting on your experiences at the table, planning for the future and trying to understand more about your own psychology and emotional health. Make sure to take your time with your decisions and don't obsess over short term results or what your opponent had; instead, focus on the process and making good decisions. Success in poker requires patience, honesty and work.