Since when . . .

foes Government get to decide who is, and who isn't, a journalist? I mean, Levant is a gas-bag, but he is a gas-bag who operates a media outlet. The journalists he employs should be free to do their jobs.

Notley government bans right-wing group from covering announcements | Globalnews.ca

Comments

• EXACTLY !!! If it was wrong for Harper to do so (and it definitely was), one would expect that the NDP, who constantly lambasted him for it, would know better.

Apparently they have decided that Steve was "right" all along. Seems odd.
  • Maybe when you testify under oath in one of your many libel suits that you're not a journalist.....

“I’m a commentator, I’m a pundit,” he explained to the judge. “I don’t think in my entire life I’ve ever called myself a reporter.”

Sucks when you have to sell yourself out to save a conviction but then it bites you in the ass when you need a leg to stand on in a real argument of rights.
  • Fine and dandy, except that the people removed were NOT named Ezra Levant. Strike one . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Fine and dandy, except that the people removed were NOT named Ezra Levant. Strike one . . .

Your trolling skills have diminished badly.

You mentioned "Levant" and "journalist" in the first post. I'm well aware that the two "reporters" were not Ezra himself but they work for his Rebel Media "news agency" which consists of a youtube channel and website set up to beg people to send him money, so he can keep exposing the truth about how the nanny state, environmentalists, anti-gun advocates, Muslims, liberal media, etc, etc are destroying our Canada. I can't wait to see the crowd sourced money get pissed away on his legal battle that a youtube channel and web-site run by a self confirmed non-journalist who has multiple libel settlements, and a casual relationship with the truth, constitutes a credible news agency.
  • Well, at least you admit it's a "news agency". Which is kind of the point. It is not for the Government to determine "credibility". If you wanted to show up at Queen's Park to report on the goings on there for Pokerforum, you should be allowed to do so.
    When the Government begins to determine who is allowed to report the news, we are on a very bad path.

And this not trolling. I am no fan of Levant, but he has a niche in the marketplace of (whacky) ideas. It is not for the Government to stifle or otherwise limit that market. A Free Press is a hallmark of liberty, even if that press is owned by Ezra Levant.

But I wlll amend the OP to reflect Ezra's status as a non-reporter, and to clarify firther that the reporters who were hassled were in his employ.
  • "How dare they ban us like we banned them!? It's outrageous, I tell you! Simply outrageous!!"
  • why does anyone even try to respond to milo any more? his trolling skills are well beyond any possible logic you could bring to the table. just give up now.
    Well, at least you admit it's a "news agency". Which is kind of the point. It is not for the Government to determine "credibility". If you wanted to show up at Queen's Park to report on the goings on there for Pokerforum, you should be allowed to do so.
    When the Government begins to determine who is allowed to report the news, we are on a very bad path.

And this not trolling. I am no fan of Levant, but he has a niche in the marketplace of (whacky) ideas. It is not for the Government to stifle or otherwise limit that market. A Free Press is a hallmark of liberty, even if that press is owned by Ezra Levant.

But I wlll amend the OP to reflect Ezra's status as a non-reporter, and to clarify firther that the reporters who were hassled were in his employ.

Maybe sarcastic air quotes don't translate well on a message board but I'll bet my lunch you knew what I meant by quoting "news agency" "reporters" and "journalist" much like I'd have to note "facts" and "truth" as they relate to Levant.

Not surprisingly the NDP government has relented and will allow them access at least until they conduct a review of their media policy. Probably for the better as Ezra is most effective in grabbing money from donators when he has something to bleat about.

Regarding the passage I bolded, I'm surprised I couldn't find the thread you created on media blackouts when the Harper government banned images of Canadian soldiers coming home from Afghanistan. Is it not for the government to stifle or not for certain governments to stifle?
  • Banned images of our war dead? Are you serious. We have an entire stretch of the busiest highway in the country dedicated to observing their return, complete with media coverage on multiple overpasses and at the Coroner's Office in T.O. So, unless you are referring to some site specific prohibition I am unaware, what the hell are you talking about? they did do this in the USA, but not, to my knowledge, in this country.
  • trigs wrote: »
    why does anyone even try to respond to milo any more? his trolling skills are well beyond any possible logic you could bring to the table. just give up now.

Trolling? I assure you I am quite serious . . . Government does not get to dictate who does, and who does not, report the news.

But have it your way.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    "How dare they ban us like we banned them!? It's outrageous, I tell you! Simply outrageous!!"

How dare they complain about getting banned. We accepted it just fine when they did it to us.

Oh wait . . .
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    "How dare they ban us like we banned them!? It's outrageous, I tell you! Simply outrageous!!"
    trigs wrote: »
    why does anyone even try to respond to milo any more? his trolling skills are well beyond any possible logic you could bring to the table. just give up now.

So, everyone is entitled to an opinion, provided it's the "correct" opinion. Got it. Thanks. Appreciate the heads up.
    So, everyone is entitled to an opinion, provided it's the "correct" opinion. Got it. Thanks. Appreciate the heads up.

Milo, you posted an article about the side of the government you disagree with doing something that conservatives had done before. Then when someone pointed that out you stated that that was in fact your point - they should have known better. Now that is fucking awesome next level trolling there. Kudos.
  • I disagreed with the Conservative Government's picking and choosing which media members were allowed into their press events, and said so.
    I disagreed with the NDP Government's doing the same thing, and said so. where is the hypocrisy in that, which is what Mark was trying to imply with his links (at least, that is how it seemed)?

And yes, I vehemently disagree with the NDP on much of their Party platform. What you fail to remember is that I disagree with the Conservative Party too. IT is not about "sides", it is about what is right and what is wrong. And this action by the NDP in Alberta, JUST LIKE the actions of the Conservative Government in Ottawa, was WRONG.

At least they had the good sense to retreat from their position.

"It's outrageous that Turdeau will proceed with election reform without consulting us! Outrageous, I say! The nerve of those dirty Libruls!"

Conservatives move to fast-track study of Fair Elections Act in Senate - The Globe and Mail
  • Mark me down as being in favour of certain aspects of C-23 (the end of vouching), but opposed to other aspects (hindering Elections Canada).

Mark me down as being fully in favour of Electoral Reform . . . I hope the current Government passes the Legislation. Shall we continue? I told you, I am not bound by Party affiliations.
  • I guess we must have missed all the threads you made decrying Harper's unilateral actions, that you claim to disagree with now.
  • Posted this one for the irony of the situation . . . you know, NDP caught doing EXACTLY what they so righteously condemned that fascist Harper for doing.

As for Harper, said at the outset of the last campaign that the Conservatives had lost me as a voter. You must have been sick that day.
  • LOL, yeah right. Just stop.
  • From my Facebook Timeline, July 30, 2015. At least 2 Forum members hit "like" for it . . .

To: The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister
    Dear Steve,
    I'm leaving you. sorry to be so blunt, but there it is. I'm leaving you. There isn't any one thing to put my finger on, but a combination of many small factors that forced me to really look at our relationship. I mean, I AM the perfect guy for you . . . a 50 year old white guy who remembers a time when a person could work one job their entire life and make a good living doing it. Not only that but they'...d have enough money to retire on when the time came to live out their golden years. Yup, I should be your dream date, Steve.
    But you lost me, Steve. It was the little things . . . it always is, isn't it? Little things like how hypocritical you are when it comes to our Veterans. they're great for a photo-op, but God forbid they want you to spend money treating the results of their service to this country, right? Little things like legislation that gets ruled unconstitutional almost before the ink is dry on the proclamation.
    But there are big things, too, Steve. As a Conservative, I like my governments lean, and non-invasive. Government operates best which operates least. You used to think that way, remember? so what the heck is with C-51? Don't you trust me, Steve? And don't tell me this is about terrorism, because we caught all the terrorists we have with laws already on the books.
    But I think the biggest issue is your cynicism which, coming from a guy who questions peoples motives when they wish him "good morning" is saying something. Why are you dropping the Writ on Sunday? Do you think we need to see MORE ads about Justin's hair? Or is it because you can limit third party ad spending by doing so? Maybe it's because you know you can exhaust the other parties ad budgets before your own. Speaking of which, stop telling me what's "wrong" with the other guy, and start telling me what's "right" with you. Just don't mention the :"balanced budget" because we both know you could have done that LAST year, but wanted to wait for this year's election because it looks better than a new sweater vest. Just more cynical politics, and I am sick and tired of it. And you.
    Now, I know what you're thinking . . . where am I going to go, right? Well, thanks to your cynical decision to call an election this weekend, I am going to have PLENTY of time to figure that out.
    The real question you should ask is this: if a guy like ME won't vote for you, just who will?

So go fuck yourself.
  • LOL really, who gives a shit that you finally came to your senses on July 30th, 2015? Not I.