Any plumbers in the joint?

Hey all

So.. bathtub in my apartment, noticed water pooling behind my toilet next to the tub, eventually found out water was seeping down the side of the bathtub, ruined the drywall. I haven't used the tub in over a year now, since I have a 2nd full bath.

Replaced the faucet / cleaned things up, and tried to see if it's going to cooperate. It seems water is seeping out of the back of the new faucet (near the set screw), and onto the lip of the bathtub. Further, though I thought this is what was seeping along and down the side, it appears it stops at a certain point along the lip of the tub, but then water is coming out the edge of the caulking along the tub, down the side (where the drywall was).

It's a tile and tub setup, not a fully plastic shower shell kinda setup. It seems the water is seeping behind the caulking, and then along either the caulking top or behind it. As I said, there last, 1/3 of the tub lip is dry, but it comes out from the caulking "edge" on the side of the tub.

Thoughts on what to do / how much it'll cost me to fix if I call in one of you lovely people who are skillzed?

Mark

Comments

• What make of faucets are they? design? if you can give us a better idea of the type we might be able to help.. Done replacements of these sort of thing before but tend not to bother myself anymore... I have people to do that. Pretty sure Mario could figure it out... Both plumbers and electricians are overpaid anyways..:D
  • botmac is a plumber
  • Simple $30 faucet from Home Depot...

Universal 1.5 " set screw.. doesn't work

Also, Just saw this post now.. something wrong with "New posts"?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Simple $30 faucet from Home Depot...

Universal 1.5 " set screw.. doesn't work

Also, Just saw this post now.. something wrong with "New posts"?

Mark
    Don't believe Home Depot "make" faucets, it will be Moen, Koehler, Delta, American Standard, etc. Why not just google your particular faucet and how to take it apart? Not aware of any problems with displaying new posts, works fine here, anyone else?

Given your apparent "knowledge" re plumbing fixtures, might be a good idea to call a plumber before you drown.. ;)
  • I'm a plumber but the bill will be expensive to fly me from Halifax. As Comp said what is the make of the faucet? Delta, Moen all have very common replacement parts at HD or Lowes. Other manufacturers not so much.
  • I don't think it's the faucet...

Like I said, brand new spout, the water is leaking out by the set screw, and then it looks like it's getting behind the caulking, travelling down to the tub side where the caulking ends and pooling. The spout I bought as a replacement is a Moen. The water doesn't seem to be coming from the taps / showerhead.

Mark
  • I can't picture this... post pic maybe? With arrows pointing to failing area..
  • Hey Mark, pull the spout off and see if the o-ring is torn, if the copper pipe for the spout is sharp, it could tear the ring. Put a little lube on it when you put it back on. Also make sure the hole where the copper pipe comes out the wall is sealed, if not pack some silicone into the hole.
  • So

New spout purchased, and it still has the same problem. I ran it without the spout on for a while (> 5 mins) at full blast. The caulking didn't result in a dripping / flooding.. so it's clearly a matter or water seeping in behind the spout / caulking.

Mark
  • Pics? lol, or it didn't happen..