Taxpayer finded IVF in Ontario . . .

So, if the "leak" is to be believed, Ontario is set to announce that OHIP will now cover the cost for at least one cycle of IVF treatments in the not too distant future.
Further, the Government does not intend to put reasonable restrictions on who might qualify for such treatments (in order to avoid the inevitable Human Rights complaints).

For?

Against?

Go . . .

Comments

• I actually literally heard there was discussion that there would be limitations on the obese and smokers.... on CBC radio just yesterday.

Let's wait and see what the declaration is, and then consider factual evidence, and draw reasonable conclusions.

Mark
  • And I had heard from another news outlet that there would be no restrictions, for the reasons outlined.
    Regardless, I am of the opinion that this is NOT a valid use of taxpayer dollars.
  • Milo wrote: »
    And I had heard from another news outlet that there would be no restrictions, for the reasons outlined.
    Regardless, I am of the opinion that this is NOT a valid use of taxpayer dollars.

I 100‰ agree. Terrible thing to be spending tax money on. I heard up to $10 grand per procedure. On BBC they were like "maybe we should start with eye and dental coverage perhaps" yeah like no shit.
  • Agree with Milo and trigs (FU trigs) on this one. I do agree with "some" government (ie taxpayer) funded social services but this is going too far imo.. In general we publically fund too much and because we have too much "free" stuff in this country there is wayyyyy too much waste... I realize this is a generalized statement but where do we draw the line? I see it every day in medical facilities...

Shouldn't we be looking after our elderly better? That I see as a huge mistake currently. I personally have no need for more assistance but see it constantly. There are thousands of elderly living a below subsistence standard with inadequate unaffordable medical care. Kinda makes me sick..
  • compuease wrote: »
    Agree with Milo and trigs (FU trigs) on this one. I do agree with "some" government (ie taxpayer) funded social services but this is going too far imo.. In general we publically fund too much and because we have too much "free" stuff in this country there is wayyyyy too much waste... I realize this is a generalized statement but where do we draw the line? I see it every day in medical facilities...

Shouldn't we be looking after our elderly better? That I see as a huge mistake currently. I personally have no need for more assistance but see it constantly. There are thousands of elderly living a below subsistence standard with inadequate unaffordable medical care. Kinda makes me sick..

EXACTLY . . . the biggest mistake that a Government can make is to enact a frivolous program, because the "special interest" that program serves will fight to the DEATH to prevent it's elimination in the future.
  • This is pretty obviously a bad idea. That said, of all the things government will steal my money and give to someone else for, this one will bother me very little. Should this become law, I hope everyone who uses the program gets the results they're looking for.
  • Remember that when some 44 year old goes to a Human Rights Commission demanding her treatment be covered. Or the couple wanting a second round, because something untoward happened the first time. there is a reason that Quebec is moving to put further restrictions on their IVF policy.
    As stated, once you open the door, you begin to lose control over who is going to walk in.