Softplay = Cheating

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but before I begin I would like to apologize for any writing errors that may run rampant as I am writing from my phone.

Now for the topic at hand, softplay.

I have a very strong stance against any kind of cheating or collusion. I am with Mike Caro when he says that cheaters should be boiled and eaten.

Now many players believe that softplaying is not a form of cheating. These players are dead wrong. When you softplay someone, you are going against the first rule of poker; Playing in ones own best interest.

Not everyone does this, but I think most people have probably experienced it. For example, when two players who play all the time together, could be friends or just friends at the table, agree to check down a pot heads up. I've seen this happen many times. The players always saying the pot is too small to bet at, (I've seen this action on $50 pots and above), or I don't believe the other guy is going to call any bets so I check to let him catch up. (Even when both players have strong hands that demand betting.)

Another form I have seen is when players raise and bet aggressively against everyone at the table, excluding their buddy.

Now, say what you will about it, but this type of play is unethical, and in my mind should be punished in some way.

You must play poker the same way against every player. If you let someone off easy because they are your friend, then you are cheating in my mind. If you really feel bad about taking your buddies money, pay them what they list when you cash out. Do not softplay them. It is unfair to everyone else at the table.

Thanks for reading my rant. I would love to hear about other people experiences and viewpoints on this topic.

Comments

• I would not eat them
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    I would not eat them

You boil then. Lol
  • I agree, play loose, shoot loose!
  • Interested in any legitimate responses to OP's contention because I've been at a table with a buddy on numerous occasions and I was unaware that "staying out of each other's way" could be considered cheating (or at least that it compromises the integrity of the game).
  • In a cash game when it gets to heads up I have no issue with players agreeing to check it down. Really doesn't affect anyone else. In a tournament however it does affect others so definitely a no no. I'm sure Buddy will have other ideas however..
  • Op doesn't know what he is talking about. If he was at my table I would soft play just to put him on tilt. Meta game ftw.

Play your own game. Don't worry about others.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • In a tournament I would have an issue, at a cash game I don't.
  • There are 50 Shades of Grey when it comes to poker ethics. At the top of the cheating pyramid is stealing millions from the poker community, and the lower down you go, more players are likely to cross the line.

- Russ Hamilton & others responsible for UB and AP superuser scam.

- Ray Bitar, Howard Lederer, and Chris Ferguson and the other criminals from Full Tilt Poker.

- David Baazov who ripped off PokerStars investors and ruined what Isai Scheinberg had built.

- Pitbull Poker, Lock Poker & other closed sites.

- PPC Poker Tour's Bryan Oulton & Sandy Swartzbaugh, who have just stolen players' money. :rage:

- Ghosters and multi-accounters, e.g., JJprodigy, Mark "TheVoid" Teltscher, and players who switch with a pro when they are deep in big PokerStars tournaments. :'(

- Mucking Aces prefop & other winning hand against players you have a financial stake in, like Fedor Holz did. :(

- Undisclosed swaps and staking by pros to gang up on Guy Laliberte or rich businessmen in High Roller Events.

- Sharing bankrolls or splitting winnings in a cash game, satellite league, or single tournament table.

- Softplaying a relative, friend or pretty girl.

- On the bubble, trying to explicitly collude with another player to knock the shortest stack out. This almost happened in a recent home game. Or preferring a friend to survive the bubble so you are more likely to raise somebody else than him.

- Two friends drive together to a big game and don't have a pre-arranged cheating arrangement, but don't want to knock each other out for the long drive home.

- As Barry Greenstein admitted, he won't cheat with his son on the same table, but he will still end up playing differently than if it was a stranger.

I have a very strong stance against any kind of cheating or collusion. I am with Mike Caro when he says that cheaters should be boiled and eaten.
  • Soft play with pretty girls seems +ev to me.