Reptile "Collection?"

Seems like a good "off topic" conversation. Love to hear about other member's collections if they exist. I somehow ended up with a reptile collection this year...though I always liked hunting critters as a kid

Started with a 2 year old female bearded dragon. A good friends son will soon be leaving for University, so about 6 months back told him I would purchase and give a good home (I should throw in we moved to an acreage last August before I describe the "zoo". My almost 2 year old granddaughter re-named her "Crackers" and it is part of her routine to help feed. As soon as the beardie sees her pull up a chair, starts dancing and bopping. Picked it all up with supplies for $200. I've since upgraded the tank (free online with tons of décor/bowls) and bought about $100 more gear

Next, a home game friend was painting a house and came back the next day to find a 2 year old, 4' Columbian Boa in his drop cloth. They figure it was in the vacant place about 3 weeks. They phoned Humane Society, bylaw, pet stores - no one would remove it. His wife posted a pic on FB explaining the situation and joking (somewhat) I tagged the wife and told her I was going to get it. What was ironic is that the week leading up, I had been teasing her every morning with "wakey, wakey, time for snakey" to which of course she would to tell me to piss off and go to work. Guess the universe didn't quite get what I was putting out there and took me literally.

I found an enclosure with locking lid for $40 and went to get it. The relator who let me in thought I was insane. 20 minutes later all the girls at my house where handling him and taking selfies, though my son and son-in law still keep their distance. Most docile of the reptiles I own, save feeding time, which is frozen/thawed rats about every 7-10 days. Worked up to a medium now. Way more girls than guys have shown to be comfortable handling him. We named him "Nagini", the snake from Harry Potter. In about $60 on hide, washable substrate and dish.

I thought that was the end of it, but a few days later the relator phoned me and said "you won't believe this, I had 3 girls move in and they woke up to another on kitchen counter!" Even my wife would freak. Told him I had my Monday meetings, but could pick it up and try to re-home it at lunch. I started looking for an enclosure and put out a few posts to see if anyone was interested in taking what I assume would be the her in an abandoned breeding pair, but no bites. I posted on a Reptile Rescue Page and they said they would donate the gear.

By then the fire department and police had removed it with a pole and it made the papers and radio. Humane Society statement said what I already knew in their statement, that it was obviously well tamed and a pet, and would be up for adoption in 10 days. I contacted the reporter and told him the rest of the back story, he called me and loved it, but really it wasn't a two part print article the editor was interested in, funny as it all was.

In the meantime, the Reptile Rescue guy was texting me, asking if I wanted two ball pythons. I explained that I like to ensure my animals get attention and one snake was enough. I threw out there that my daughter had been bugging me for 4 years every US trip to buy her a turtle. He had a 6 year old male Red Ear Slider, about 7" across the back. I donated $40 and got the 100G tank, some décor and lights. Spent about $150 on rocks and good filter. She named him "Crush", turtle from "Finding Nemo" and they have been buddies since. Begs like a dog and loves to eat.

Again, thought I was done, but when picking up food, a baby Panther Chameleon that was white as paper approached Bren at the glass. She put a finger up and it changed to match her and she promised the crazy eyed thing she would be back for her. Not 24 hours later, she was. I had some rewards at the store, so walked out with her for $300, plus most of supplies for about $50. Grabbed a 5 gallon with sliding/locking lid for $10 online and then went hunting for a mesh setup. She named her "Punzy", for Rapunzel from "Tangled".

Found two for a good price - the one I preferred I couldn't get until later in the day, so I phoned the other one and negotiated price. Meanwhile the seller text me and said they were also looking to re-home about 9 lizards. Seems like every time I was bargain hunting tanks, someone was trying to unload the animal.

I told her I was interested in a male chameleon, since the females aren't as vibrant. She had a large enclosure and set-up and would throw in a 1 year old Veiled male if it was going to a good home. I ended up with a 18x18x24 open air with plant, a 24x36x48 of the same, plants vines and two light set ups for $120. We named him "Pascal", the chameleon from "Tangled".

I am really enjoying these animals, it surprises me how many people give them away or abandon them - I have tree dwelling, semi aquatic, desert and tropical reptiles. We all read a lot and it's been challenging, yet rewarding to set their environments up "perfectly" - for example, the turtle wouldn't bask until I made the egress right, switched the lamp to a higher one, rearranged large rocks and then bang, he loves it now. The snake spends a lot of time in his hide, but I get him "free ranging" in the yard a few times a week to stimulate him.

They are spread out in the house, so it's nice to sit in different rooms and observe them. Chameleons most interesting for activity and the baby loves to walk out on you. Veiled is a bit of an asshole right now and I handled him some first day when cleaning his set-up, but great to observe in his "territory" now that he has it back. The dragon basks and is only really busy at feeding time, but she is ok with handling and doesn't hiss or bite. The turtle has bonded with youngest daughter and she gives him outside tank time tons, he hisses at me a bit when I clean things, but really has gotten used to us all and hasn't bit. While 5 reptiles sounds a bit extreme, to me, it's really no different than multiple aquariums. Bulbs are expensive, but I figure my costs are about $100/month for food, supplies etc. Really not bad for these little buddies and my granddaughter loves to help.

It keeps me entertained checking environments, feeding etc. Has turned into a fun hobby, might just end up on a reptile forum next lol...

Lots of pics on my "jontmh" instagram. IMG_9809.jpg

Comments

• jontm wrote: »
    Seems like a good "off topic" conversation. Love to hear about other member's collections if they exist. I somehow ended up with a reptile collection this year...though I always liked hunting critters as a kid

Started with a 2 year old female bearded dragon. A good friends son will soon be leaving for University, so about 6 months back told him I would purchase and give a good home (I should throw in we moved to an acreage last August before I describe the "zoo". My almost 2 year old granddaughter re-named her "Crackers" and it is part of her routine to help feed. As soon as the beardie sees her pull up a chair, starts dancing and bopping. Picked it all up with supplies for $200. I've since upgraded the tank (free online with tons of décor/bowls) and bought about $100 more gear

Next, a home game friend was painting a house and came back the next day to find a 2 year old, 4' Columbian Boa in his drop cloth. They figure it was in the vacant place about 3 weeks. They phoned Humane Society, bylaw, pet stores - no one would remove it. His wife posted a pic on FB explaining the situation and joking (somewhat) I tagged the wife and told her I was going to get it. What was ironic is that the week leading up, I had been teasing her every morning with "wakey, wakey, time for snakey" to which of course she would to tell me to piss off and go to work. Guess the universe didn't quite get what I was putting out there and took me literally.

I found an enclosure with locking lid for $40 and went to get it. The relator who let me in thought I was insane. 20 minutes later all the girls at my house where handling him and taking selfies, though my son and son-in law still keep their distance. Most docile of the reptiles I own, save feeding time, which is frozen/thawed rats about every 7-10 days. Worked up to a medium now. Way more girls than guys have shown to be comfortable handling him. We named him "Nagini", the snake from Harry Potter. In about $60 on hide, washable substrate and dish.

I thought that was the end of it, but a few days later the relator phoned me and said "you won't believe this, I had 3 girls move in and they woke up to another on kitchen counter!" Even my wife would freak. Told him I had my Monday meetings, but could pick it up and try to re-home it at lunch. I started looking for an enclosure and put out a few posts to see if anyone was interested in taking what I assume would be the her in an abandoned breeding pair, but no bites. I posted on a Reptile Rescue Page and they said they would donate the gear.

By then the fire department and police had removed it with a pole and it made the papers and radio. Humane Society statement said what I already knew in their statement, that it was obviously well tamed and a pet, and would be up for adoption in 10 days. I contacted the reporter and told him the rest of the back story, he called me and loved it, but really it wasn't a two part print article the editor was interested in, funny as it all was.

In the meantime, the Reptile Rescue guy was texting me, asking if I wanted two ball pythons. I explained that I like to ensure my animals get attention and one snake was enough. I threw out there that my daughter had been bugging me for 4 years every US trip to buy her a turtle. He had a 6 year old male Red Ear Slider, about 7" across the back. I donated $40 and got the 100G tank, some décor and lights. Spent about $150 on rocks and good filter. She named him "Crush", turtle from "Finding Nemo" and they have been buddies since. Begs like a dog and loves to eat.

Again, thought I was done, but when picking up food, a baby Panther Chameleon that was white as paper approached Bren at the glass. She put a finger up and it changed to match her and she promised the crazy eyed thing she would be back for her. Not 24 hours later, she was. I had some rewards at the store, so walked out with her for $300, plus most of supplies for about $50. Grabbed a 5 gallon with sliding/locking lid for $10 online and then went hunting for a mesh setup. She named her "Punzy", for Rapunzel from "Tangled".

Found two for a good price - the one I preferred I couldn't get until later in the day, so I phoned the other one and negotiated price. Meanwhile the seller text me and said they were also looking to re-home about 9 lizards. Seems like every time I was bargain hunting tanks, someone was trying to unload the animal.

I told her I was interested in a male chameleon, since the females aren't as vibrant. She had a large enclosure and set-up and would throw in a 1 year old Veiled male if it was going to a good home. I ended up with a 18x18x24 open air with plant, a 24x36x48 of the same, plants vines and two light set ups for $120. We named him "Pascal", the chameleon from "Tangled".

I am really enjoying these animals, it surprises me how many people give them away or abandon them - I have tree dwelling, semi aquatic, desert and tropical reptiles. We all read a lot and it's been challenging, yet rewarding to set their environments up "perfectly" - for example, the turtle wouldn't bask until I made the egress right, switched the lamp to a higher one, rearranged large rocks and then bang, he loves it now. The snake spends a lot of time in his hide, but I get him "free ranging" in the yard a few times a week to stimulate him.

They are spread out in the house, so it's nice to sit in different rooms and observe them. Chameleons most interesting for activity and the baby loves to walk out on you. Veiled is a bit of an asshole right now and I handled him some first day when cleaning his set-up, but great to observe in his "territory" now that he has it back. The dragon basks and is only really busy at feeding time, but she is ok with handling and doesn't hiss or bite. The turtle has bonded with youngest daughter and she gives him outside tank time tons, he hisses at me a bit when I clean things, but really has gotten used to us all and hasn't bit. While 5 reptiles sounds a bit extreme, to me, it's really no different than multiple aquariums. Bulbs are expensive, but I figure my costs are about $100/month for food, supplies etc. Really not bad for these little buddies and my granddaughter loves to help.

It keeps me entertained checking environments, feeding etc. Has turned into a fun hobby, might just end up on a reptile forum next lol...

Lots of pics on my "jontmh" instagram.

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I love looking at this stuff. Especially infront of my flat screen as opposed to live^-^

Prophet22
  • jontm wrote: »
    Has turned into a fun hobby, might just end up on a reptile forum next lol...

Lots of pics on my "jontmh" instagram.
    Wow, impressive.. if you like we can change the name of this forum since not much else goes on around here anymore... Love the hobby though..
  • Trouser snake...back to work now:)
  • Turns out I own one too! I just asked the wife to pet it, and she said I had to wait two weeks since I just had gallbladder removed. I told her I'll get a doctor's note. Wanna save me $5 and write one GTA? Think she would need to consider you credible both as doctor and knowledgeable on snake anatomy.....
  • Only snake anatomy he'd be competent on is his own. He might be able to recommend a decent cream if you start chafing, though . . .