Gay marriage legal in the USA . . . a Catholic perspective.

Fr. James Martin, SJ

No issue brings out so much hatred from so many Catholics as homosexuality. Even after over 25 years as a Jesuit, the level of hatred around homosexuality is nearly unbelievable to me, especially when I think of all of the wonderful LGBT friends I have.
The Catholic church must do a much better job of teaching what the Catechism says: that we should treat our LGBT brothers and sisters with "respect, sensitivity and compassion."
But God wants more. God wants us to love. And not a twisted, crabbed, narrow tolerance, which often comes in the guise of condemnations, instructions and admonitions that try to masquerade as love, but actual love.
Love means: getting to know LGBT men and women, spending time with them, listening to them, being challenged by them, hoping the best for them, and wanting them to be a part of your lives, every bit as much as straight friends are part of your lives.
Love first. Everything else later. In fact, everything else is meaningless without love.

Never argue with a Jesuit.

Comments

• I think the excommunication papers will be sitting in the popes lap by Monday for this blasphemy. I agree with you but I gave up on the Catholic church years ago. After all I am living in sin with another Catholic.
  • I doubt that, Joe, as the current Pope is ALSO a Jesuit, and has said much the same thing since taking office. I truly believe that this Pope has an opportunity to "change" the Church. Not change in the manner that the usual suspects are demanding change (marriage in the Priesthood, ordination of women, etc.) but change in terms of putting a REAL focus on what Christ taught, which is that we should LOVE one another, that we ARE our brothers keeper.

As Father Martin says, "Love first . . . everything else is meaningless without love."
  • No I believe the Pope is spending his time warning us about greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Maybe this guy will be different. I thought others would be different. If he goes for meaningful change he'll probably be assassinated before that change can be implemented.
  • Depends on your definition of "meaningful". IT won't be a shift that the "Progressives" would desire, but I think the Holy Father will, Moose's silliness aside, rededicate the Church towards alleviating the suffering of the poorest in this world. Time will tell, as always, but it seems to be the way of things, bureaucratic Popes followed by Populist ones.
  • Hey,

Lets all read Leviticus!!!

Every 7th year. Do no work
    Every 50th year. Do no work.