Windows 10 to be free for Windows 7 and 8 licensed users

For those of you who think Microsoft is not very charitable, think again.. Well not really charitable as there are altruistic reasons but in any case it's true. Some of you may have spotted the "Get Windows 10" update offer on the lower right of your taskbar. It's real and not fake.

See below..

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users | PCWorld

P.S. I have been running a beta version of Windows 10 for about 4 months and it seems solid.

Thanks to Dr Tyore for noticing it and asking me about it.... I was aware it was coming but not this soon.

Comments

• Looking forward to this. I'm in the minority that didn't jump on the "fuck microsoft" bandwagon.

Release date is in July, correct? Or is this some kind of offer to get it early?

Edit - yeah july, helps if I read the article lol

(Excuse my ignorance. drunk solo in vegas after 5 straight buy-ins of Fking sets being no good by the river)
  • Got mine reserved . . . just waiting for it to tell me to download it now.
  • i have windows 8 on my windows tablet, but i'm worried that if i get the free upgrade to windows 10 it will take up a lot of my memory (which is only 20 gigs total). i do have a 64gig SD card as well, but some things have to go on the tablet memory and won't run off the SD card. does anyone know how much larger windows 10 is or how much more space it will take up than windows 8?
  • Pretty happy to hear about this. I haven't done as much maintenance to my operating system as I used to over the past few years. Thinking my machine could use a fresh install. That's one thing about windows is that you accumulate so much junk and clutter all over the place it can really bog down a system.

Just curious, I assume you have to be a registered Win 7, 8 owner to do this upgrade? My Win 7 came preinstalled on my Acer PC, and I can't remember for the life of me if I registered it. Any way to check if I'm registered?

Edit: Figured it out. Start button-computer-properties-bottom of screen tells you if your Windows is activated.
  • Comp, you should do a "how to prepare your PC for the upgrade" checklist or something. If you have the time of course.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i have windows 8 on my windows tablet, but i'm worried that if i get the free upgrade to windows 10 it will take up a lot of my memory (which is only 20 gigs total). i do have a 64gig SD card as well, but some things have to go on the tablet memory and won't run off the SD card. does anyone know how much larger windows 10 is or how much more space it will take up than windows 8?

Once it's installed, can you not remove the previous system?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Once it's installed, can you not remove the previous system?

I believe the installation process overwrites the previous operating system.
  • I believe the installation process overwrites the previous operating system.

Correct, that's the way I understand it as well.. I haven't done an upgrade from a previous install as yet although I am posting this from a Windows 10 laptop (clean install however). I have also installed Win 10 twice previously but always clean install. Will certainly post more here as I learn.

As far as space used, 8 is approx. the same as 7 and I expect 10 to be only marginally bigger. Can't say that for sure though.
  • Iirc, it said you only needed 3 gB of free space for the upgrade. Going from W7 Premium to W10.
  • 3 gigs is alright.