Looking for a New VPN

Looks like HBO is starting to send out letters for downloads of their programs. To Telus' credit, it appears they will not release any user info to these corporations.

I haven't used a VPN since moving back to Canada. From what little I know, I want one based in a location that will not release user data (Hungary, etc.).

Any suggestions for a good VPN? IPVanish seems ok?

Comments

• i use hola with google chrome. you can change it to practically any country. helps with netflix as you can get content from any country.

Hola - Free VPN, Secure Browsing, Unrestricted Access
  • Also have been recently trying out Hola.. Seems ok, works on Win 7, 8 and 10. USA netflix seems good. However I haven't been able to identify whether or not it keeps you invisible from the big US filmmakers. Still testing. Unless I'm wrong, not that I ever am, it only allows you to use websites that would normally be blocked because of where you are but not "hide" where you are.

Trigs, have you been using it long? What's your experience?
  • i've been using it for a few months now. i've never had any problems with it yet. if it is slow or not connecting you can try another connection which usually works first try. i'm not sure if it keeps you hidden though.

i've also used zenmate for chrome as well but it doesn't have as many countries to use.

i'm pretty certain that hola has a limit on it though and it'll stop working when you hit it. i try to use it on just the streaming and i click it off when surfing and such.
  • looking for something for torrents...so a true VPN. I already have mediahint for chrome to use us netflix, etcc
  • mediahint is dope i dunno how id use pandora without it ( i wouldnt lol)

dont have a real VPN myself yet, kinda hoping i wont need one
  • i used to use mediahint but it stopped working. i thought you have to pay for it now. am i wrong or did it change again?
  • it is now $4/mo or similar...I think I am going to try ipvanish and see how it does. It's only $6.50/mo.
  • What about using different DNS credentials? I use this for pandora, and US Netflix etc.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    What about using different DNS credentials? I use this for pandora, and US Netflix etc.

I think GTA is trying to be invisible on the web, I'm not currently aware of a good "free" choice for that.
  • I don't believe there are any that are good, and free. The one I use is $5/mth. Is this different in the sense that a different DNS server wont make you invisible?
    I don't believe there are any that are good, and free. The one I use is $5/mth. Is this different in the sense that a different DNS server wont make you invisible?

Just specifying a different DNS server (opendns, googledns, ultradns, etc) in your network adapter or router won't change your IP so therefore you are completely visible to anyone with a little knowledge...

There is no way at all to stay completely anonymous on the web no matter what you use. With appropriate technologies and court orders in can be determined for anyone from anywhere. Best way is to use a private VPN from a country that doesn't care about California filmmakers and their rights... North Korea, Syria, etc..
    That being said you are currently quite safe in Canada downloading whatever you want as to my knowledge no ISP in Canada has turned over personal information for any of their clients to any US entity. The first and most likely ones to be turned in would be people who are constantly uploading. Casual downloaders are quite safe at the moment... Next year? Who knows..

With all that said, if I was trying to stay as anonymous on the web as I possibly could I would try this one... It would be difficult for even the CIA or CSIS to sort their way through this one.. but not impossible.

Anonymous VPN, Proxy & Torrent Proxy Services | TorGuard
  • compuease wrote: »
    Just specifying a different DNS server (opendns, googledns, ultradns, etc) in your network adapter or router won't change your IP so therefore you are completely visible to anyone with a little knowledge...

There is no way at all to stay completely anonymous on the web no matter what you use. With appropriate technologies and court orders in can be determined for anyone from anywhere. Best way is to use a private VPN from a country that doesn't care about California filmmakers and their rights... North Korea, Syria, etc..
    That being said you are currently quite safe in Canada downloading whatever you want as to my knowledge no ISP in Canada has turned over personal information for any of their clients to any US entity. The first and most likely ones to be turned in would be people who are constantly uploading. Casual downloaders are quite safe at the moment... Next year? Who knows..

With all that said, if I was trying to stay as anonymous on the web as I possibly could I would try this one... It would be difficult for even the CIA or CSIS to sort their way through this one.. but not impossible.

Anonymous VPN, Proxy & Torrent Proxy Services | TorGuard

Why that one? Where are they based, etc.? I just wanna d/l This Week with John Oliver without getting letters in my email from HBO saying the are going to rape me
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Why that one? Where are they based, etc.? I just wanna d/l This Week with John Oliver without getting letters in my email from HBO saying the are going to rape me

Are you getting emails directly from HBO or are they being forwarded by your ISP? Big difference. I'm not aware of any ISP's as yet in Canada that have given out personal email's or info for these situations.

I have no personal recommendation for hiding your IP as I don't use one. I know several folks who do use the one I linked though.
  • Just emails from Telus for now
  • Occasionally I get similar from Cogeco but am not too concerned at this point in time. Mostly when I download first run movies or game software. I do notice that since I've stopped using piratebay and started primarily using Torrentday they have stopped for now.
  • I actually can't remember the last thing I downloaded since getting the little magical TV box previously discussed at length in that other thread.
  • I actually can't remember the last thing I downloaded since getting the little magical TV box previously discussed at length in that other thread.

Ya same. I haven't bothered with Torrents whatsoever since. Anything I could ever think of I can have it playing in under a couple mins.

Btw, how's it been working out for you lately? Not trying to hijack
    Ya same. I haven't bothered with Torrents whatsoever since. Anything I could ever think of I can have it playing in under a couple mins.

Btw, how's it been working out for you lately? Not trying to hijack

Pretty good for the most part. Most of the time we have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to boot up. Not a big deal. Haven't explored any other addons other than Genesis. Haven't had to. Still can't figure out how to get the thing to perform well with HD, but since I've been basically taken prisoner by a general contractor and all I do is paint/sleep/paint/sleep I haven't had time to adjust the buffer or cache or whatever it was. Wife doesn't care about HD, she's mastered the thing. I'm not paying for cable anymore. I'm happy.