Button (t1490)
SB (t1510)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club:, Q:club:.
2 folds, Hero raises to t60, 2 folds, CO calls t60, 3 folds.

Flop: (t150) 4:heart:, T:club:, 9:spade: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets t100, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t350) J:club: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t350) 4:club: (2 players)
Hero bets t200, CO calls t200.

Final Pot: t750

Results in white below:
Hero has Ac Qc (flush, ace high).
CO has Ah Th (two pair, tens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins t750.

Second hand of the tournament. I'm not looking to win or lose a big pot here. After getting called by the CO pre-flop, I don't want to build a big pot. I suspect a steal after I check the flop, and I don't want to show I can get pushed off a pot this easy. So, 100 is an easy call. Turn, I don't want to build a big pot and will call a decent bet, perhaps setting up a bluff on the river, or value bet on the river. What a wonderfull river, and now I just want to make a bet he can call -- hmmm... I'm thinking something along the sig line from AA.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t1110)
CO (t1140)
Button (t1710)
SB (t750)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t2480)
Hero (t1900)
MP1 (t1320)
MP2 (t1590)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8:diamond:, 8:spade:.
[color:#666666]1 fold[/color], Hero calls t30, [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], Button calls t30, [color:#CC3333]SB raises to t225[/color], [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: t315

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
No showdown. SB wins t315. [/color]

Just want to show this hand because this tournament was about me staying out of trouble. It's hard for me! I know SB is looking to get it all in, no matter what. I decide I don't need chips at this point. So, I let it pass.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

SB (t540)
BB (t1185)
UTG (t1680)
UTG+1 (t1740)
MP1 (t1440)
MP2 (t1175)
Hero (t1735)
CO (t1275)
Button (t2730)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:diamond:, K:spade:.
4 folds, Hero raises to t120, 3 folds, BB calls t90.

Flop: (t255) Q:diamond:, 8:spade:, 7:spade: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t210, BB raises to t1065, Hero calls t855.

Turn: (t2385) 4:diamond: (2 players)

River: (t2385) 9:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: t2385

Results in white below:
BB has 5s Js (high card, queen).
Hero has Kd Ks (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t2385.

This is the TSN turning point for the first shootout. Std. raise pre -- I like to go 4x in back, and 3x early. It's a scary flop for me, but I want to get some chips out of this. Normally, I'd over bet the pot to discourage the flush draw. However, i have the K of spades so I have a back up plan if I'm up against the straight and I'm willing to get the chips in against a top pair flush draw! It was an easy call on the all-in, althought I was gritting my teeth.

Now my work is done, and I want to stay away from any mix ups. I'm looking to stay out of trouble and I want to get heads up. That's my goal at this point. Sounds weakish, but I like my odds if I'm heads up and I don't need a ton of chips.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

SB (t540)
BB (t1290)
UTG (t1440)
Hero (t2815)
CO (t1680)
Button (t5735)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A:heart:, 4:heart:.
1 fold, Hero calls t50, 1 fold, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) A:spade:, 3:spade:, 9:heart:(4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t150, Button calls t150, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t500) 6:club: (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t450, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t950

Results in white below:
No showdown. Button wins t950.

I didn't think I could buy the button from the huge stack, so I limp. I kinda like the flop and I'm willing to take a stab. I know giant stack sees me as a threat, so I know he really doesnt want to go up against me unless he's got something -- flush draw, or ace better kicker. His bet smells like a possible steal. But do I need this pot, I ask myslef? Also, how much will it cost me to find out? I'm in good shape chips wise, so I concede.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

MP (t565)
CO (t1140)
Button (t1365)
Hero (t2440)
BB (t1655)
UTG (t6335)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade:, J:spade:.
2 folds, CO raises to t150, Button calls t150, Hero calls t125, 1 fold.

Flop: (t500) T:spade:, 9:diamond:, 8:club: (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets t990 (All-In), Button folds, Hero calls t990.

Turn: (t2480) 9:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2480) K:diamond: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t2480

Results in white below:
CO has 9c Ac (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has Qs Js (straight, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins t2480.

Hey, what can I say -- I like QJ in the SB. It's a smallish raise, I have a decent stack and I like my hand. Woah, what a flop. Easy check and pray for somone to make a move. Yes, it happens. Nooooooooo, I don't like that turn, whew.

Now, I really don't want any mix ups. The next hand is a prime example.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter

BB (t565)
UTG (t1215)
Hero (t3780)
Button (t1755)
SB (t6185)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K:diamond:, A:spade:.
UTG raises to t150, Hero calls t150, 2 folds, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t475) J:heart:, 8:heart:, 2:heart:(3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t475) 4:club: (3 players)
BB bets t400, UTG calls t400, Hero folds.

River: (t1275) 6:spade: (2 players)
BB bets t15 (All-In), UTG calls t15.

Final Pot: t1305

Results in white below:
BB has Qs 4s (one pair, fours).
UTG has Ah 3h (flush, ace high).
Outcome: UTG wins t1305.

I smooth call the raise, as I want to see the flop. I'm not crazy about AKo, but hey I'm willing to give the flop a peak. I have a big stack and I dont' want to commit to a pot, as I don't have a need to double up. I hate the flop and I would fold if someone said "boo". When the BB bets the turn, and it's called, I know I'm soooo done with this hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1155)
Hero (t3380)
BB (t2105)
UTG (t6860)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6:spade:, 6:heart:.
2 folds, Hero completes, BB raises to t300, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t600) 4:spade:, J:club:, 5:diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t300, Hero raises to t900, BB raises to t1805, Hero calls t905.

Turn: (t4210) A:heart:(2 players)

River: (t4210) 3:heart:(2 players)

Final Pot: t4210

Results in white below:
Hero has 6s 6h (one pair, sixes).
BB has 8h 8c (one pair, eights).
Outcome: BB wins t4210.

So, much for my plan. Oddly enough, it was this hand that won me this tournament. I'll explain later. Pre-flop, I put the BB on a wide range of hands. I check as I want to get a sense of where he's at. Now with his bet of half the pot, it leaves him enough chips that he can make a fold and still be in the hunt. So, I peg him on big cards or a pair under a jack. And, I make the same mistake as DaveS and figure he will fold to allot of pressure, especially a check-raise. Ooops.

Part 2 -- next post

Comments

• PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter

SB (t1560)
    Hero (t1325)
    UTG (t6810)
    Button (t3805)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6:club:, A:spade:.
    2 folds, SB raises to t300, Hero raises to t1325, SB calls t1025.

Flop: (t2650) 7:heart:, 6:heart:, 7:spade: (2 players)

Turn: (t2650) 2:spade: (2 players)

River: (t2650) 7:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: t2650

Results in white below:
    SB has Kd Qc (three of a kind, sevens).
    Hero has 6c As (full house, sevens full of sixes).
    Outcome: Hero wins t2650.

I'm short stacked. The raise screams weak or hoping to trap. I'm ok with the trap, as I need to double up. So, the heck with caution -- time to grip it and rip it.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t2600)
    SB (t6710)
    BB (t4190)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A:heart:, 6:spade:.
    [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to t300[/color], SB calls t250, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color].

Flop: (t700) K:club:, 4:diamond:, K:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
    SB checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets t500[/color], SB calls t500.

Turn: (t1700) A:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
    SB checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets t1800 (All-In)[/color], SB calls t1800.

River: (t5300) Q:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

Final Pot: t5300

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
    Hero has Ah 6s (two pair, aces and kings).
    SB has 2h 2d (two pair, kings and twos).
    Outcome: Hero wins t5300. [/color]

I love A6 -- I have a hunch -- NOT! I'm looking to steal the blind here. I love the flop, so I try to represent a mid pair by my flop bet. Darn, he calls. Now what have i got myself into! Woa, I love the turn. I figure if he had the king, he would be out hoping I caught the ace. I go all-in because I can't get away from the hand and I don't want a tough river decision. I have no idea how he could call here -- other than my earlier check-raise. Yep, that's the hand that set this one up.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t5300)
    Button (t4110)
    SB (t4090)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart:, J:club:.
    Button raises to t300, 1 fold, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t650) Q:diamond:, 2:club:, K:club: (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets t300, Hero raises to t1000, Button calls t700.

Turn: (t2650) 5:diamond: (2 players)
    Hero bets t4000 (All-In), Button calls t2810 (All-In).

River: (t9460) Q:heart:(2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: t9460

Results in white below:
    Hero has Kh Jc (two pair, kings and queens).
    Button has 8c Kd (two pair, kings and queens).
    Outcome: Hero wins t9460.

I like big cards short handed, and I'm not worried about the raise. Lets see a flop. I love the flop! Now, I'm thinking I'll go for that same check raise that he called earlier. He didn't believe I had top-pair and was right that time. I know there's no way I'm getting away from this hand (again), so my real thought is how do I get the chips in the pot. When he called my flop check-raise, I'm not worried about two-pair or a set. I know he's pissed about the previous pot and would come after me if he had something. So, the brick on the turn doesn't worry me. At the turn I push -- after all he called earlier. Well he does AGAIN! I'm stunned and happy that the river doesn't kill me.

Stay tuned. I'll post some of the heads up hands tomorrow.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Glad to see you won a seat magi. If the pokergods be willing I'll meet ya down there for the show. Would be nice to do a forum 1-2 finish in the wsop. The more the merrier I say. lol GL2U
  • Great post, Magi. Nicely written up.

I'm curious about this hand:

BB (t565)
    UTG (t1215)
    Hero (t3780)
    Button (t1755)
    SB (t6185)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A.

Flop: (t475) J, 8, 2 (3 players)
    BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t475) 4 (3 players)
    BB bets t400, UTG calls t400, Hero folds.

River: (t1275) 6 (2 players)
    BB bets t15 (All-In), UTG calls t15.

Final Pot: t1305

Results in white below:
    BB has Qs 4s (one pair, fours).
    UTG has Ah 3h (flush, ace high).
    Outcome: UTG wins t1305.

Would this have been a good spot for a raise? Your starters were strong and aside from the SB there weren't any stacks that would want to mix it up with you if you re-raised. Or were you hoping to flop something big and take someone out>
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Great post, Magi. Nicely written up.

I'm curious about this hand:

BB (t565)
    UTG (t1215)
    Hero (t3780)
    Button (t1755)
    SB (t6185)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A.

Would this have been a good spot for a raise? Your starters were strong and aside from the SB there weren't any stacks that would want to mix it up with you if you re-raised. Or were you hoping to flop something big and take someone out>

Short handed, big cards are great. At this point I'm in second, and I don't want to get into any fights, as a small favourite. BB needs to make a move, so I'm worried that a raise won't chase him out and may get him to go all-in. And, I'm not sure what UTG has -- could be a big pair, big cards. I don't want to raise, only to find that UTG pushes all-in. I was actually considering a fold. The reason is that I want the BB and UTG to go at it. I'd like one of them to get hurt to the point where they are done. At this point, I like to be lazy, and if someone else can do my job, i'll let them -- especially, when I'm in good shape. And, if the BB and UTG go at it, I get some free information on how they play. So, I know their habits when I need to get into it with one of them.

Mostly, I like that UTG has done my job of raising. I don't need to isolate, and I have enough chips that I can get away from the hand if I don't hit big. The key for me, is that I don't need to win every pot with a good hand. With my stack, I several tools available if I get a run of bad cards. I blew one of my tools later on a check-raise semi-bluff. But, but saving my chips I was able to survive and use that hand to set up later hands.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    magi
  • grats magi. I havent started playinn the shootouts yet but im gonna soon. gl in vegas.
    o i would recomend NOT taking the hotel from stars for 9 days cuz then u dont have to wear their dumb gear.

again grats
  • Thanks harthgosh. I can't catch a hand since the tourney, but who cares! Well, I'm a whore at hart, so I'll take the room, gear, free party, etc. Not sure I can get a better deal -- I don't think anyone's paying me more to be a walking billboard. You know any better deals?

Cheers
    Magi
  • nah i was kidding... im a bit cynical.. lol... take the stuff wear the shirt... its obviously worth it... Unless u have bigger better sponsors. And u wouldnt realize how tough it is to get good sponsors. unfortumatly the market is kinda saturated right now.

I have been helping do a bunch of Exclusives agent work, and i must say it isnt easy to get free money... :) he got 4000 euros for wearing a shirt at monte carlo so that was great.. but get this, the site (everest) put up a contract to sign.. the contract said everest gets 30% of winnings!!! unreal.. they let Exclusive cross that out though.. lol but be careful!
    i was just trying to be a brat about stars cuz have a love hate relationship with them.

its actually good cuz if u win it all then they give u a deal.. The deals are pretty good. Stars is sponsoring quite a few players these days (greg, chris, isabelle, elky etcetctec), so its probably smart to get in their good books.