Dealing with a Downswing? (read me) Dealing With Losing at Poker

So I figured everyone has been there; Nobody likes to lose when playing poker, yet how you react to losing can shape you as poker player.

Losing is an important part of poker. Think about it, if nobody lost a hand then nobody could win. The sooner you start to accept that you are not going to win every hand that you play, the sooner you will find your overall enjoyment of the game increases.

There is no special formula for dealing with losing at poker and do not allow anyone to pretend to you that there is. If it were as simple as applying “Fix A” to your game, then every poker player in the world would be a happy beacon of light regardless of his or her results.

Practice Good Bankroll Management / Play With a Large Bankroll

I cannot stress enough how important bankroll management is. Time and time again, I have read forum posts and poker players’ blogs where the author has gone broke due to poor bankroll management. There is no excuse for it.

Having a large bankroll — that is money that is 100% set aside with which to play poker — can take away some of the stresses of losing.
Imagine the following scenarios: (1) you are playing in a $0.05/$0.10 no-limit hold’em cash game online and have a bankroll of $50 (or five full buy-ins); (2) you are playing in an identical game and have a bankroll of $300 (30 buy-ins). Should the inevitable happen and you lose a stack, which of the scenarios do you think you would be able to cope with the best?

In both scenarios you have lost $10, but losing $10 when you only had $50 with which to play is a much worse prospect than losing $10 when you have $300 at your disposal. Personally, I feel more comfortable with an even larger bankroll behind me. This means it takes longer to move up levels when I want to, but it also means less chance of going broke.

Try Not to Think of Your Bankroll as Money

Following on from practicing good bankroll management, try not to think of your bankroll in terms of actual monetary value.

This may sound crazy to some of you out there, yet not thinking about the monetary value of your bankroll during your wins and losses will aid your ability to cope with the swings of poker better.

Losing 10 buy-ins is easier to swallow than losing a week’s worth of groceries, for example.

Think of the Game as One Big Session, Not Many Smaller Ones

Whenever you sit down to play poker, be it cash games or tournaments, do not label it as “a session.”

Doing so can lead you to thinking negatively about how your last few “sessions” have gone (especially if you have had numerous losing sessions), which can see you enter a downward spiral that is difficult to get out of.

Instead, if you think of all of your sessions as part of one long game, you'll be less likely to be overly affected by what happens — good or bad — in a single night of playing.

Resist the Urge to Complain

IMO by getting overly excited about winning, the low caused by losing would feel worse and that I should try to become almost numb to the fact I have won or lost. (something I still struggle with) :$ grrrrrr

and last but not least!!!!!

Review Your Play

Instead of trumpeting to the world your results when finished for the day, go through and review your hand history files to see if there were any areas in which you could have improved.

Often, you will discover that there were spots you should have folded and saved yourself some chips, and times that you could have played more aggressively and accumulated extra chips. Then the next time you play, you can focus more specifically on improving upon those areas of your game.

By constantly reviewing your play you will improve at poker and make fewer mistakes, which in turn reduces the amount of losing sessions that you will have.

dueces, 2014-07-31 01.47.02.jpg2014-08-05 21.20.18.jpg2014-08-06 20.04.41.jpg2014-08-08 00.36.34.jpg2014-08-08 00.38.02.jpg2014-07-31 01.47.02.jpg2014-08-05 21.20.18.jpg2014-08-06 20.04.41.jpg2014-08-08 00.36.34.jpg2014-08-08 00.38.02.jpg

Comments

• I usually deal with a downswing by taking a break. I can come back refreshed, focused, and more patient. My best play tends to be when I first come back from a break actually.
  • Yes we saw that first hand lol... me more so than anyone really
  • Lol yeah I had not played in a while before your home game.
  • Well put........also, I don't get the meaning of the pictures?
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    Well put........also, I don't get the meaning of the pictures?

Sorry I am a part time photographer, I added in a pic of myself first eating cookies after a bad seshion > then a picture of myself before a half marathon run > also during a downswing. Also figured I would incorporate some pretty pictures I have taken > like icecream over sunset and roses ect. > #Sorry new here don;t know why they were double posted, and I could not edit it after..... :)

Cool/?
  • Sorry I am in College and lately in my Communications class we have been doing visuals along with essays and graphs to incorporate vusal meanings ect in compositions.

:$

Just some things I do and use when dealing with set topic >
  • When I'm on a down swing I just take a break. Even though I try to not be effected by a loss I still feel like shit after losing a few sessions in a row. I find that taking a 2-3 day break usually refreshes me.
  • I'm in a downswing right now :(
  • I'm still a newbie, so I've never NOT been in a downswing.

(Does "always sucks" count as a downswing?) :)
  • philliivey wrote: »
    I'm in a downswing right now :(

last year I had a 130k hand downswing it was sick :/ had to just play through omg dropping lower and lower. No fun LOL >
    I'm in a downswing right now :(

...since 2006 :D
  • I always enjoy throwing keyboard, smashing mice............and obv berating villains
  • moose wrote: »
    ...since 2006 :d

dfkm!!! :)
  • dfkm!!! :)

You want to do what to Moose!:o
    You want to do what to Moose!:o

dfkm means > dont ffin kill me > #died of laughter :)