Billiard Balls Problem

Playing pool the other day... discussion came up about how many billiard balls you could fit on a table without stacking them up.

A few points:

Regulation table measures 100"x50" inside of cushions.

Ball size 2.25" diameter

Ignore pockets

All balls must contact playing surface

No compressing the cushions!

Comments

• mathematically my guess would be 987.
  • mathematically my guess would be 987.

Mathematically, your guess would incorrect! :)
  • please expand on why it would be incorrect mathematically?
  • ahhh I understand my mistake, technically its almost double that as i took the square footage of the ball, though it is round, another ball could fit in between the square area that putting the balls side by side would create. This is far past the math that I am campable of giving a %%#^ about happens. Good luck to the rest for attempting and being far more edumacated than I.
  • I got 1075 but I feel like you could squeeze in another 5 or 6. I'll say 1080.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    I got 1075 but I feel like you could squeeze in another 5 or 6. I'll say 1080.

1075, 1080 & 1081 are all incorrect... but I'm curious as to how you got to 1075.
  • 1075, 1080 & 1081 are all incorrect... but I'm curious as to how you got to 1075.

damn. I used a cad program to map out two rows of balls to scale, and then measured the staggered balls which averaged out to 1.97" per row. in a 100" stretch you can fit 50 rows of balls, so 25 rows of 21 and 25 rows of 22. I see my mistake now though - I didn't properly take advantage of the unused 1.54" strip of dead space at the bottom, gotta be able to fit a few more in there.

ftobjl.jpg
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    damn. I used a cad program to map out two rows of balls to scale, and then measured the staggered balls which averaged out to 1.97" per row. in a 100" stretch you can fit 50 rows of balls, so 25 rows of 21 and 25 rows of 22. I see my mistake now though - I didn't properly take advantage of the unused 1.54" strip of dead space at the bottom, gotta be able to fit a few more in there.

ftobjl.jpg

Really nice... but rounding errors are not going to go unpunished... lol

In this configuration the rows of billiard balls will take up 2.25 + (n-1)*2.25*sin60° inches where n is the number of rows.

51 rows will take up 99.67785793 inches so 51 rows will fit... 26*22 + 25*21 = 1097

So you were very close... but.... 1097 isn't correct either!!

>:D
  • Can I cut the balls into pieces?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Milo wrote: »

I'm going to respond to all guesses by saying they are incorrect. If you have a solution for 1099, I'd be interested in seeing it, but I suspect its a guess based on the last few posts.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Can I cut the balls into pieces?

No!... lol

Or I will allow it as long all billiard balls are placed to maximize the contact area between the ball and playing surface... hee hee
  • Milo wrote: »

ship it.
  • Anyway, (spoiler)google told me this conversation has already been completed.

how many 2.25 pool balls fit on a 9 ft 50 x 100 billiard table? [Archive] - AzBilliards.com
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Anyway, (spoiler)google told me this conversation has already been completed.

how many 2.25 pool balls fit on a 9 ft 50 x 100 billiard table? [Archive] - AzBilliards.com

Never did get my $100
  • So now how many would fit if you kept stacking, assuming the weight could be supported?
    So now how many would fit if you kept stacking, assuming the weight could be supported?

A quick calculation yields 10692 balls, which would weigh about 3800 lbs. If anyone wants to try this... please take a picture!! A cheap set of balls can be had for $34.99... less for bulk orders!! ... should be able to do this for about $20,000 including table.... lol
  • Where's insane guy when you need him?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Where's insane guy when you need him?

You want to know how many strap-ons fit on a pool table????

Skipping this question!
  • How many 2.25 inch pool balls can he fit?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Where's insane guy when you need him?
    compuease wrote: »
    Skipping this question!

Don't worry it was kinda an inside joke re Insane Guy!;)
    Don't worry it was kinda an inside joke re Insane Guy!;)

Pretty sure I remember that thread!
  • Not sure the answer here.....but willing to go race to 7 for 1k
  • Table 1... I'll be waiting
  • I'm going to respond to all guesses by saying they are incorrect. If you have a solution for 1099, I'd be interested in seeing it, but I suspect its a guess based on the last few posts.

And you would be incorrect . . . :-X
  • Please elaborate!
  • Please elaborate!

1012 was done in my head quickly based on 44 balls fitting into the 100" and 22 fitting into the 50" width. Staggering the rows to allow for a row of 44 followed by a row of 43, etc.

Anyway, here is a solution for you . . .

Several ways to do it:

If you start on the long cushion you can fit 44 balls (100/2.25=44.4), the next row up fits in between the balls from the first row (like in the rack - hexagonal close packing), BUT 44 balls cannot fit across (44.5*2.25=100.125), so you can only fit 43. The distance between rows is 1.94 (sin 60*2.25), and thus 25 rows. 13*44 + 12*43 = 1088.

If you start on the short rail, you can fit 22 balls in the first row but again only 21 in the row above. 51 rows will fit - 26*22 + 25*21 = 1097.

If you pack them in a standard cubic array you'd have 968.

Happy now? Besides, even if they HAD been WAG's, those were not specifically proscribed by your question.
  • I'd be happier if you had one for the 1099 that you guessed.