Comments

• Love the article. A few quibbles . . .
    -Poker players DO have Customers: the other players at the table.
    -While "entertainment" is not necessarily a very tangible thing, it is still something produced by playing.

These minor considerations aside, I thought it very pointed in it's perspective.
  • Was wondering where you were Trigs.:p
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Was wondering where you were Trigs.:p

i'm only half back. i messed up my neck and shoulder so i've been trying to stay away from my computer and from using a mouse. haven't played poker in like 3 weeks...
  • Milo wrote: »
    Love the article. A few quibbles . . .
    -Poker players DO have Customers: the other players at the table.
    -While "entertainment" is not necessarily a very tangible thing, it is still something produced by playing.

These minor considerations aside, I thought it very pointed in it's perspective.

Not to quibble with your quibbles.... but...

Poker players don't have customers.... the house has customers that pày for any "entertainment" value via the rake or time charge. Players transfer wealth amongst themselves without compensation.
  • In a home game, there is no "house". And there is always at least one player better than the others.

But, whatever . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    In a home game, there is no "house". And there is always at least one player better than the others.

But, whatever . . .
    I understand that you're trying to say that players are paying better players for experience, but it simply isnt true. The money that changes hands was not put in the pot for this purpose, and doesn't imply a vendor/customer relationship between the players.

Experience may be a by-product of playing against better players, or it may not. We've all played against people who haven't learned anything after years of playing against better players.

Maybe you are offended by the author saying poker players contribute nothing economically to society, and are trying to justify your position as a poker player.
  • Except that I do not consider myself as a "player" . . .
  • Well... I did say maybe... lol