fifty50 BvB facing big push

so here's another fifty50 hand that i had some questions about. i would just like to get some opinions on villains range here on his preflop push in the SB.

for one, it's a strange push as he is currently second and has over 20 BBs. i'm chip leader at the moment with more than double his stack. i'm in the BB looking down at 99.

the villain seemed fairly competent. i didn't have a ton of hands for his stats, but he was playing pretty tight early but was definitely opening up his range a lot in the later stages. after this hand, he continued to open push a lot preflop even with a stack that he may not have had to push all in pre with.

here are the hand details:

blinds are 50-100 w/ 10 ante. 8 of 10 players left. pot is 230. folds to villain in SB who pushes all in for 2015 total. i'm in BB with 4570 and have 99. i probably should also mention that i've been very active early on and have been willing to play big pots.

i folded but i wasn't sure about it. my thinking was that 99 is only a middle pair and despite me having him covered, i have a huge stack compared to the rest of the table so why would i want to possibly flip for half of it (or be an 80-20 dog against a bigger pair) when i can continue to steamroll all the other short stacks with my big stack.

on the other hand, i felt that his 20BB push suggested that he probably didn't have a big pocket pair because he'd probably be more interested in seeing a flop with AA, KK, QQ and trying to win more chips. with JJ or TT i think i can understand the overpush a little more but idk.

again, i'd like some help on what you think his range is here and how i should have played it.

Comments

• i give it a 'meh'. you are probably ahead but it isn't worth punting half your stack over. not at this point. on or near the bubble, the correct answer might change.

there is still lots of play left. he may be testing you for later. i put him on 22-JJ, ATs+, AJo+ but there could be a QJs in there.

if you can tell me about his later play, i think his range becomes clearer. of course you didn't have that info at the time.
  • thanks pkrfce9. i have the stats at home but i only have the hand histories in front of me at the moment.

looking back on his play after this hand, i think this could have been a call and that's why i was bothered by this hand. but like you said, i didn't know that info at the time.