FU Valentino's Restaurant

last night was my work christmas party. we had decided to go to valentino's on king street in hamilton. we had originally booked for 20 people, but at the last minute some people cancelled so there were only 14 of us attending. we called the restaurant and told them this and they said everything was fine. they made no mention of any issues at this time. however, when we got to the restaurant we were told that there was a minimum of 20 and that we'd have to pay for 20 meals even though there were only 14 of us. obviously, we tried to argue it down and ask for some sort of break but they said no. they outright refused to even knock off a meal or two, or offer free desserts or anything. the guy literally was said something to the effect of "all i can do is make you pay for 20 meals". for some reason (not mine) we decided to stay anyway.

i should also mention that we had to put a $100 deposit down for the group days beforehand.

we had asked them to take the total price for 20 people and just divide it by 14 and we'd pay that way (with 5 of us who paid $20 each for the deposit getting $20 less off of our bills). we also made sure that the extra 6 meals were still given to us since we were being forced to pay for them.

well, when they brought the bills, without telling us they had decided to keep our deposit and had divided the extra $100 between all of us to pay. obviously, we noticed right away and complained. they said that since we had 6 less people and those people would have bought liquor and such, they had decided to keep our deposit since they were "losing" that money. they also stated that they had to close the part of the restaurant we were in for our party and that had led them to lose money because they had less room for customers - this was obvious bullshit as there was literally 6 other people in the restaurant and there were open tables everywhere.

they even added the extra $100 on in a sly way because those of us who had paid for the deposit still had the $20 less for our bills. on top of this, they were also trying to force one of us to pay double the meal price because she had wanted to take one of the extra meals to bring home (i.e. one of the 20 meals that were already included in the overall price).

we literally had our math teacher crunching numbers on her cell phone trying to show them how they were making us overpay. we had to argue with them for like 30 minutes until they just got fed up and let us pay the price we had agreed to pay. let me make this clear, they did not agree and they did not say sorry or admit they were wrong - they just gave up fighting with us.

what made this even worse was that the manager was there and we had originally spoken to him, but after the first conversation with him at the beginning of the meal, he just refused to come out of the back room to discuss with us. he made the female servers come and talk to us. we felt so bad for them because they were like "well, that's what the manager told me" and we're like "well, he's wrong so..."

they were incredibly rude dealing with the situation in general, but to try and steal our deposit on top of that was just nuts.

so fuck you valentino's! you just lost yourself a bunch of return customers.

plus, your food was shit.

Comments

• they should be banned from the forum
  • trigs wrote: »
    so fuck you valentino's!
    i think you know what valentino's response is...
  • FU trigs > FU valentino
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    FU trigs > FU valentino

i agree that the former does have a better ring to it.
  • Take 'em to Small Claims Court. FUCK that noise, ESPECIALLY from a restaurant.
  • how about a review on yelp? a complaint with BBB? tell the city inspectors you found a rat in your cobb salad. direct this where it would be something more than hot air.
  • FU Trigs. This should be posted on their facebook page. Also make a google review.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    how about a review on yelp? a complaint with BBB? tell the city inspectors you found a rat in your cobb salad. direct this where it would be something more than hot air.

yes, my gf was planning on posting on yelp about it.
  • moose wrote: »
    FU Trigs. This should be posted on their facebook page. Also make a google review.

post on their facebook page is a good idea too.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Take 'em to Small Claims Court. FUCK that noise, ESPECIALLY from a restaurant.

that might be a bit extreme considering with did end up getting the proper price. well, almost. technically they charged us $42 each instead of the exact price of $41-whatever. and also, in the end we only were refunded $80 out of the $100 deposit as only four out of the 5 people who put in $20 got it back - the 5th person was one of the ones that didn't show up in the end and we kind of forgot to include that extra $20 after the drawn out disagreement.
  • Your choice . . . I just hate the whole notion of a business, ESPECIALLY one that relies on word of mouth as much as a restaurant does, trying to fuck over Customers in this way. Worse that they would try and pull this crap with such a large group.

Generally I HATE all the "no split bills", helpfully adding the tip for large groups (or telling you it's mandatory), and all the other nickel and dime bullshit that's out there.

I just want them to tell me what the meal costs . . . I'll figure out the rest, thanks.
  • I was thinking...

The small claims court isn't too outlandish, but I wonder what would have happened had you said you were going to call the police then and there. Theft IMO.

Mark
  • Not sure you could make the case for "theft" beforehand. After the fact, it's more like fraud . . .

If you could even get the cops to turn up.
  • I say take it to The People's Court
  • First mistake was putting down a deposit.

Second was agreeing to pay for meals for people not there. You lose 5 bux each if you walk out then. But that is probably when they cave.

Better luck next year.
  • Meh if you think that's a bad racket, try booking a kids bday party where most places also require a 10-15 min party size. Then the little fuckers parents don't bother to RSVP so the poor kid is stuck wondering whether he gets a party or not.

Std policy for large groups IMO. The other shit was dirty but if you agreed to bring 20 then expect to be charged for 20.
    std policy for large groups imo. The other shit was dirty but if you agreed to bring 20 and were informed that was the minimum booking requirement then expect to be charged for 20.

fyp...

The "6 others would have paid for drinks and such" claim is about the moment I start launching the 6 extra meals toward the back room. Bet the manager makes an appearance then
  • I'm not saying it's not a cheap ass way to go and poor customer service but...

All Caterings and Large Reservations (20 or more) require $100 Deposit in order to reserve the date. Deposit is non-refundable if cancelled within 2 weeks of the reservation. The minimum money value of catered parties is $1000 + tax. If the minimum is met, the deposit is applied towards the total bill and will be deducted upon payment. If minimum is not met, Valentino’s reserves the right to apply the deposit towards a fee for renting the room.
  • Well then...

FK U TRIGS!
  • those BASTARDSS!!
    All Caterings and Large Reservations (20 or more) require $100 Deposit in order to reserve the date. Deposit is non-refundable if cancelled within 2 weeks of the reservation. The minimum money value of catered parties is $1000 + tax. If the minimum is met, the deposit is applied towards the total bill and will be deducted upon payment. If minimum is not met, Valentino’s reserves the right to apply the deposit towards a fee for renting the room.

j7f7zq.jpg
  • But why did the owner not tell them that on the phone right at the start, before they even arrived? A real place with any class would warn them of the massive penalties they would incur.
  • Decades ago Valentino's was fabulous.

At one time in Hamilton, the Italian food was fabulous and cheap.

All of the best Italian places were mob run.

They all did a fabulous job of it.

This is no longer the case.

Sad.
  • We need more mob to keep these riff raff in check
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    We need more mob to keep these riff raff in check

Maybe we can get mob involvement around here?