you choose - i write

2»

Comments

• trigs wrote: »
    no idea what you're talking about lol.

Kids..... :p

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/walkthroughs/colossalcavewalk.htm

circa 1976 or so
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'd be willing..

To let various members pick your story elements with me as a character, though I may insist on Kristy having final word on what is included in the end product...

Mark

lol that could be fun.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Kids..... :p

The Colossal Cave Walkthrough

circa 1976 or so

heh, yeah i had to look that up. i played games like that back in the day. they were all text based (i had a computer that didn't support graphics). i always like them. never played this specific one though.
  • For the second time in as many memories, Natalie woke up with a gasp. She tried to open her eyes to look around but the overly bright lights hanging in the room above her hindered her sight. As she lied there waiting for them to adjust she could hear movement around her.

“Who’s there?” she softly questioned with no response.

Natalie sluggishly sat up in the bed she found herself in and immediately heard some machine next to her start beeping. As her eyes bettered, she could somewhat make out a cleaning robot whizzing and whirring and busily sweeping up the floor around her. The rest of the room was completely white and it seemed like there were no doors or windows anywhere.

From the right side of the room there was a clunking noise and an invisible doorway quickly slid open. In walked a man dressed in a plain white robe and hood. His face looked chiseled and sharp, and Natalie guessed that he must have been in his mid-thirties. Instantly, she noticed how strange his eyes were as if they were almost hollow inside, and their colour was something that Natalie had never seen before. When he spoke, his voice was very calm and monotone.

“Welcome back Natalie,” he said with a stoic, straight face. “How are you feeling?”

“Where am I? How do you know my name?”

“Don’t worry,” the man continued, “Some memory loss is expected after the surgery.”

“Surgery? What surgery?” Natalie asked raising her voice and struggling to get out of bed realizing she was still very weak and dizzy.

“You need to rest now. We can explain everything to you in time,” the man stated as he approached her and grabbed her left arm.

“We…who is we? Don’t touch me!” she yelled jerking her arm out of his hand.

“You need to rest now,” the man stated plainly reaching for her a second time.

“I said don’t touch me!” Natalie screamed this time swinging her fist towards the man. Her punch landed square on his cheek. To Natalie’s complete surprise, the man shot back banging against the wall from the blow. His body crumbled and fell limp to the ground. She stood motionless for a second, shocked. Cautiously, she stepped closer to the man and knelt down to feel for his pulse. There was none. Her heart skipped a beat and she began to panic.

Before she could stand up, the man suddenly popped back to life. His head gently turned towards her and his once beautifully coloured eyes glowed a sinister deep red. His hand grabbed her around the ankle and began to squeeze tightly. Natalie let out a scream in pain, closed her eyes, and again swung her hand down with all her might. There was a loud metal clang followed by the sound of gears slowly whirring to a stop. She opened her eyes and saw the man’s face was ripped open and inside were various mechanisms and wires. He wasn’t a man at all.

Natalie then looked to her own hand wondering how she had been able to damage the machine so easily. Her hand looked quite normal in fact, and it didn’t hurt at all from the hit. She wiggled her fingers and looked at her palm, but it felt the same as it had always felt. Her head was still dizzy, but she knew she didn’t have time to waste. She would have to find a way out of here. The man, or rather the machine, had left the door open behind him. She had no idea where she was or what was happening, but she knew she had to escape. She stood up and backed away from the machine on the ground and turned to the opening which led to a long, narrow hallway lined with hundreds of doors on either side.
  • all right, i have to admit that this isn't very "crime-like" so far. there will be "things being taken" though (lol that is pretty vague), and i am trying to head towards a twist ending at least (hopefully one that most will not expect).
  • It's now turning into a choose your own adventure.

Vote 1: Natalie goes into door 3

Vote 2: Natalie goes to the end of the hallway.
  • payperview wrote: »
    It's now turning into a choose your own adventure.

Vote 1: Natalie goes into door 3

Vote 2: Natalie goes to the end of the hallway.

lol i was actually thinking of making it like that to begin with but i thought it might be too difficult for me.
  • come on, what else ya got to do? Aren't you a teacher? >:D
  • compuease wrote: »
    come on, what else ya got to do? Aren't you a teacher? >:D

lol well i probably have the time to do it. i just thought it would be too difficult to make up a lot of random stuff depending on what you guys chose and still have a somewhat consistent story, but that's not really a big deal i guess.

also, after gathering ideas i kind of came up with an overall plot arch that will lead to the twist ending. if it was choose your own adventure style, then i wouldn't be able to guarantee the twist ending. honestly, if you guys prefer to have if choose your own adventure style, i'm fine with it. i'll just give away the ending that i was heading towards once i'm done.
  • The air outside of her room was very cool and crisp. Natalie’s breath left trails of steam behind her as she painfully trudged down the never-ending hallway. The large, black doors that lined either side were all thick and sealed shut. The small windows in the center of each door were blocked by slats so Natalie could not see in. She marched on for an indefinite amount of time yet all she saw were more doors and no end in sight.

For a moment she stopped. She slouched down against the wall and began to cry. She couldn’t hold her tears back any longer, and her emotions came streaming out. She felt sad and angry and lost and upset and confused – too many feelings to account for and understand all at one time.

“What am I going to do?” she murmured to herself.

Finally after a few minutes, she managed to collect herself and she wiped the tears from her eyes. When she stood up, she noticed what looked like a thin beam of light shining across the hallway. As she approached the light, she could see that it was coming from one of the small windows on one of the doors. Natalie quietly raised her head and peered through the open slats in the window and what she saw took her breath away.

The room was full of medical equipment and various automated machines diligently working. In the center of the room stood a large glass pod that encased a female’s body. It was torn open with blood everywhere. One of the automated machines swiveled around and a small opening in the glass appeared. The machine extended a metal spike into the pod and began cutting the female’s abdomen. It carefully removed some random organ from the body, swiveled around again and dropped the organ into an opening in the floor. Natalie covered her mouth and gasped.

The sound was slight but it echoed in the quiet hallway. For a moment she pulled her gaze away from the window holding her mouth trying not to scream. Gaining her confidence back she raised her head again to look through the window. As her eyes leveled, her stare was met by another face. It was the same face as the machine in white robes that she had seen earlier. It had the same amazingly colored eyes and the same sharp, chiseled features. For half a second, it stared back at her seeming indifferent, but suddenly its eyes turned a deep red. Natalie shrieked and took off down the hallway as fast as she could.
  • Natalie ran and ran for what seemed like forever. She glanced back over her shoulder to tell if she was being followed but she couldn’t see anything down the long hallway. When she finally started to slow down, she noticed ahead that the hallway finally came to an end. The passage itself opened up and there loomed a huge, red door. As she approached it, it quietly swung open.

Inside was a giant room that was decorated like a living space. There was a big, striped red and white couch in the middle, and a small kitchen area to the one side, but what really caught Natalie’s eye was a massive window that ran the length of the opposite wall. Through the window in the distance, she could make out the tops of buildings and the random ship or satellite flying by. She walked up to the window and peered down to the street below. The area was filled with what appeared to be thousands and thousands of marching soldiers. Natalie squinted through the glass to try and get a better look and she swore that all of them wore the same face as the machines she had seen earlier.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” a low, old voice spoke up from behind her. Natalie swung around to see an old man sitting in a chair off to the side of the room. His face was wrinkled and pale and he was definitely near the end of his life. He stood up and moved closer before sitting back down and motioning with his frail hand for Natalie to sit as well.

“Who are you? What is this place?” Natalie asked without moving.

“I built that whole army myself,” the man continued ignoring her questions. “They were to be my legacy. My gift to the universe.” The man stopped for a second and sighed staring out the window. “However, I was misguided. I thought that my dream was the pinnacle of evolution, but I was wrong.”

“What are you talking about? What are you doing to all those people back there?” Natalie yelled pointing towards the hallway in which she had emerged from.

“I’m helping them to reach their full potential,” the old man responded simply. “You see, I thought that technology was the future. Humans are pathetic. They aren’t loyal. Their bodies are weak. They are not meant for the future. I thought that I could create new beings. Ones that were better than humans in every way, but I was shortsighted. These machines are useful, but they are not the future, Natalie. You are.”

“What are you talking about? What did you do to me?” Natalie asked bewildered.

“I’ve been watching you. You are it Natalie. You are what my whole life has been leading to. My ultimate creation. You are truly the first human/machine hybrid,” the old man sat back and smiled.

“You’re crazy! I am not a machine,” Natalie said bluntly.

“Aren’t you?” the old man again made a sly smile.

“I remember my life. I have memories of my past.” Natalie responded while trying to picture those memories.

“Implanted,” the old man said. “None of them are real. I needed you to have a frame of reference for your thought processes.”

“That’s impossible!” Natalie began to argue, but suddenly she hesitated as she realized that her memories were in fact very fragmented and the faces and people she had thought she remembered were blurry and fuzzy. “But…but I feel…” she trailed off.

“Precisely!” said the old man. “A functioning cyborg with the full emotional spectrum programmed in. You are the closest a machine has ever been to being a real human being. It’s genius. All of these other machines are nothing compared to you. You are not only stronger and faster than them, but now you can think and feel better than them. There are still some errors to work on as your emotions cannot be kept in check very well yet. However, soon there will be more of you. You and your kind will rule the universe.”

“I…I don’t believe you,” Natalie stammered.

“Go look for yourself,” the old man said motioning towards a small mirror hanging on the wall.

Natalie walked up to it and looked at her reflection. There in the mirror were the same beautifully colored eyes that she had seen on the machines staring back at her. She cringed and a single tear ran down her cheek.

“So now you know the truth,” said the old man. “How do you feel?”

Natalie stood still and silent staring at herself in the mirror. Her emotions boiled inside of her. “How do I feel?” she said repeating the question. The thoughts of all those humans being killed and tortured and turned into machines flashed in her mind. She felt pain and anger and rage and sympathy and courage and revenge all at once.

“How do I feel?” she repeated again still staring into the mirror. Her fist gripped as tight as a vice. “I feel the humanity you put inside of me.” Her body began to tremble and her once beautiful eyes went a sinister deep red as she turned from the mirror towards the frail old man.
  • i decided to stop here. i could probably go on forever lol, but i thought i'd end it now before it gets too big and long and the three people reading it get bored.

also, i decided to leave the ending open(ish) so the reader can make the interpretation.
  • Thanks for the read. It was somewhat of an abrupt ending. I'm sure more have read it.
    Now let's continue it choose your own adventure style. Can you tell they were my favourite as a kid.
  • Was actually looking forward to more, but hey we can keep it going.

Continued:

Natalie and the other survivors of the nuclear fire called the war
    Judgement Day. They lived only to face a new
    nightmare, the war against the Machines...

A metal foot crushes the skull like china.

TILT UP, revealing a humanoid machine holding a massive battle rifle.
    It looks like a CHROME SKELETON... a high-tech Death figure. It is
    the endoskeleton of a Series 800 terminator. Its glowing red eyes
    compassionlessly sweep the dead terrain, hunting.

Searchlights blaze down as a
    formation of flying HK (Hunter-Killer) patrol machines passes
    overhead. PAN WITH THEM toward the jagged horizon, beyond which we
    see flashes, and hear the distant thunder of a pitched battle in
    progress.

Human troops are in desperate combat with the machines for
    possession of the dead Earth. The humans are a ragtag guerrilla
    army. Skynet's weapons consist of Ground HKs (tank-like robot
    gun-platforms), flying Aerial HKs, four-legged gun-pods called
    Centurions, and the humanoid terminators in various forms.

SEQUENCE OF RAPID CUTS:
    • 5A - Explosions! Beam-weapons firing like searing strobe-light.
    • 5B - A gunner is an armored personnel carrier fires a LAW rocket at a
      pursuing Aerial HK, bringing it down in a fiery explosion.
    • 5C - Another APC is crushed under the treads of a massive Ground HK.
    • 5D - A TEAM OF GUERRILLAS in a intense fire-fight with terminator
      endoskeletons in the ruins of a building. Three terminator
      endoskeletons advance, firing rapidly. Another (complete cyborg),
      with flesh ripped open and back broken, gropes for a rifle on the
      ground.
    • 5G - A Centurion overruns a human firing position. Soldiers are cut
      down as they run. Fiery explosions light the ranks of advancing
      machines.

In a blasted gun emplacement at the edge of battle, a man watches
    the combat with night-vision binoculars. He wears the uniform of a
    guerrilla general, and a black beret. He is still amid running,
    shouting techs and officers.

C.U. MAN, pushing slowly in as the battle rages O.S. He lowers the
    binoculars. He is forty-five years old. Features severe. The left
    side of his face is heavily scarred. A patch covers that eye. An
    impressive man, forged in the furnace of a lifetime of war. The name
    stitched on the band of his beret is CONNOR. We push in until his
    eyes fill frame, then...

... to be continued
  • payperview wrote: »
    Thanks for the read. It was somewhat of an abrupt ending. I'm sure more have read it.
    Now let's continue it choose your own adventure style. Can you tell they were my favourite as a kid.

i used to enjoy reading them as well. i've considered making a choose your own adventure website with different stories on it just for fun. i used to read a few that you had to use dice and fight against the monsters in the book or whatever. i don't think it would be that difficult to implement that into a website. would just be a fun project/hobby for me.

i actually am enjoying doing this thread even just for the fact that it's getting me to put pencil to paper so to speak. i'll keep going for now and i'll start doing it choose your own adventure style, but if i'm getting only one vote per choice i'll probably stop.

the good part about this story being sci-fi is that it's very easy to write yourself out of a corner.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Was actually looking forward to more, but hey we can keep it going.

Continued:

Natalie and the other survivors of the nuclear fire called the war
    Judgement Day. They lived only to face a new
    nightmare, the war against the Machines...

A metal foot crushes the skull like china.

TILT UP, revealing a humanoid machine holding a massive battle rifle.
    It looks like a CHROME SKELETON... a high-tech Death figure. It is
    the endoskeleton of a Series 800 terminator. Its glowing red eyes
    compassionlessly sweep the dead terrain, hunting.

Searchlights blaze down as a
    formation of flying HK (Hunter-Killer) patrol machines passes
    overhead. PAN WITH THEM toward the jagged horizon, beyond which we
    see flashes, and hear the distant thunder of a pitched battle in
    progress.

Human troops are in desperate combat with the machines for
    possession of the dead Earth. The humans are a ragtag guerrilla
    army. Skynet's weapons consist of Ground HKs (tank-like robot
    gun-platforms), flying Aerial HKs, four-legged gun-pods called
    Centurions, and the humanoid terminators in various forms.

SEQUENCE OF RAPID CUTS:
    • 5A - Explosions! Beam-weapons firing like searing strobe-light.
    • 5B - A gunner is an armored personnel carrier fires a LAW rocket at a
      pursuing Aerial HK, bringing it down in a fiery explosion.
    • 5C - Another APC is crushed under the treads of a massive Ground HK.
    • 5D - A TEAM OF GUERRILLAS in a intense fire-fight with terminator
      endoskeletons in the ruins of a building. Three terminator
      endoskeletons advance, firing rapidly. Another (complete cyborg),
      with flesh ripped open and back broken, gropes for a rifle on the
      ground.
    • 5G - A Centurion overruns a human firing position. Soldiers are cut
      down as they run. Fiery explosions light the ranks of advancing
      machines.

In a blasted gun emplacement at the edge of battle, a man watches
    the combat with night-vision binoculars. He wears the uniform of a
    guerrilla general, and a black beret. He is still amid running,
    shouting techs and officers.

C.U. MAN, pushing slowly in as the battle rages O.S. He lowers the
    binoculars. He is forty-five years old. Features severe. The left
    side of his face is heavily scarred. A patch covers that eye. An
    impressive man, forged in the furnace of a lifetime of war. The name
    stitched on the band of his beret is CONNOR. We push in until his
    eyes fill frame, then...

... to be continued

lol, my favourite part is how it suddenly became a script with camera angles and such ;)

maybe i'll try to include some of these ideas, but i want to try to not borrow from other stories/movies.
  • Natalie’s fist sliced the air at a blinding speed as she lunged at the old man. His expression did not change in the slightest as her hand came slamming down on him. There was a moment of blinking and flashing as the hologram particles recollected themselves. Natalie staggered backwards a couple steps.

“My, my,” the old man laughed, “Your emotions are quite sensitive, aren’t they? Are you feeling hungry and tired as well? Like I said, you will feel all the normal human emotions and needs from time to time, but your body will not need food or sleep.”

Natalie just stood there seething in anger.

“Now, now, just calm down. You’re going to have to learn to control yourself if you want me to let you out,” the old man said with a wink. “You can stay here for now. Maybe after a few days you’ll learn.”

Instantly, the hologram of the old man fizzled out and disappeared. At the same time, a thick metal door clanged shut behind her blocking her only exit from the room. Natalie let out a shriek, picked up one of the small end tables next to the couch and tossed it as hard as she could. It crashed loudly against the large window and broke into multiple pieces on the floor. She shrieked again and wrenched her hair with her hands.

She rotated around to face the thick metal door and raised her arms in an attempt to break it down, yet suddenly she stopped. The old man was right, she thought. She needed to control these emotions as she was just learning how to use them. Natalie lowered her arms and took a few deep breaths. The feeling of her pounding heart slowed and her rage began to subside.

She had to get out of here, but she did not know what to do. Natalie carefully searched the thick door for weaknesses or any way to open it. Perhaps it would be possible to jam it open with something in the room she thought, or maybe she could try to short circuit it in some way. She began to search the room for something to help her open the door.

As she walked around making mental notes of the various items in the room, she passed by the window and the broken end table on the ground. In the corner of her eye she noticed a small crack in the window where the table had hit it. Obviously, the glass was special and very strong, and she was many stories above the ground level, but the glass had cracked from the force so it may be possible for her to break through it.

YOU CHOOSE: Should Natalie attempt to break the window to escape or should she focus on trying to get passed the thick metal door?
  • Break through the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Break through the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
  • window it is. i'll try to get something written out today but i'm not making any promises.