Ferguson Missouri

Is anyone else watching this live on CNN? It's insane to think that this type of rioting/violence happens in a North American city.... Thoughts?

Comments

• Never seen a Stanley Cup crowd go nuts?
    Vancouver?
  • Vancouver was pretty crazy, but it was stupidity meets drunkenness run amok. People were swept up in it, and mob mentality took over, but it didn't have the anger behind it. I know it sounds crazy because there was a lot of damage, and some people got hurt, but it didn't seem to me that anyone knew why they were rioting. It had no focus, it was just chaos for chaos sake.

This seems like something else entirely. Even if the media loves to show you pictures of people looting and burning things, there's a focus to this, and an anger.

Follow the #ferguson hashtag on Twitter. It's fascinating, and disturbing and everything in between.

People are furious. I think they're right to be furious.
  • The Grand Jury in this case was shown almost ALL the evidence in the prosecution's case. That is VERY unusual, as the prosecution will usually give up just enough to secure an indictment. Despite that, the jury declined to indict.

The people rioting are doing so based more on emotion than facts (no surprise there) and we all know how stupid that is at the poker table. It's even WORSE to do so in the face of riot police.
  • not surprised in the least that there's rioting after that verdict.
  • "However, once the autopsy findings were released showing that Michael Brown had not sustained any wound to the back of his body, no additional witnesses made such a claim and several witnesses adjusted their stories in subsequent statements. Some even admitted that they did not witness the event at all, but merely repeated what they heard," the prosecuting attorney said.
  • In Canada we close schools for snow. Missouri doesn't get snow so they close the schools for race riots instead.
  • trigs wrote: »
    not surprised in the least that there's rioting after that verdict.

So trigs, obviously you don't agree with the grand jury's findings. Can you give us the results of your investigation? Were they different?>:D
  • I never understood the logic of rioting. Maybe that's my problem.

Pissed off at the police/government? Loot and burn down some innocent entrepreneurs business.

#logic
  • compuease wrote: »
    So trigs, obviously you don't agree with the grand jury's findings. Can you give us the results of your investigation? Were they different?>:D

Actually he said he wasn't surprised there were riots. Neither was I and, based on what I had read, I was not surprised that the Grand Jury did not indict the Officer.

Too many activists/race baiters in Ferguson for anything OTHER than a riot to occur when they read the GJ report.
  • compuease wrote: »

I really didn't follow the trial or whatever. I just meant I knew that if he got off people would riot.
  • Crowd source a private prosecution instead of crowd sourcing a riot.
    I really didn't follow the trial or whatever. I just meant I knew that if he got off people would riot.

Apologize, thought you had a different agenda..;)
  • I dont know if you young people are aware of the big Hockey Fans Riot in montreal when maurice Richard was banned for some infraction.I do not remember the details but a lot of damage was done in downtown montreali Ie anyone is interested Wikipedia has the whole with a video.circa 1955
  • chaimr1924 wrote: »
    I dont know if you young people are aware of the big Hockey Fans Riot in montreal when maurice Richard was banned for some infraction.I do not remember the details but a lot of damage was done in downtown montreali Ie anyone is interested Wikipedia has the whole with a video.circa 1955

That was a legitimate beef. :o
  • Seems like some of you think this grand jury was on the up and up. However, think of the movie Sleepers, where Brad Pitt deliberately fucks up the trial so his buddy goes free.
  • Or, think of the possibility that the evidence that was shown to the Grand Jury did not merit charging the Officer.

Here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPUcA7yrErg
  • For what it's worth..

Rioting was going to happen, everyone knew this. THe problem with rioting is that on some level, everyone knows that some people just want a reason to riot, and claiming racism is an easy jumping off point. The end result of riots is that it gives people a reason to dismiss the rioter's point because their actions are barbaric, and we can now simply make a mental disconnect from ourselves and them (and their problems).

In this case, whether the evidence suggests the officer should have been charged or not, whether the people rioted or not, none of this mitigates the fact that there is a problem. It simply gives those with privilege the excuse to not have to acknowledge or feel responsible in any way.

Mark
  • There is an underlying issue that white police often racially profile and sometimes get away with simple murder. People deserve the right to stand up and demand that this change. The conditions were right here to finally get the blood boiling enough to stand up for what is right and to make change.

But it could be that this is not actually one of those cases.

The overall cause is still just and right but the pillar everyone was climbing in this particular case just turned out to be made of sand not stone and it is collapsing.

So now what? We are already past the point of emotion overtaking reason. How does this resolve? I really have no clue.

The even larger picture is that this may just be one of many tremors that result when an over reaching government/society decides to extend it's powers without impunity or oversight. The further they reach the closer the people come to the boiling point conciously or not. Triggers will then set them off on escalating scales of backlash. So as our governments (or police) continue to take our rights away to keep us 'safe' there will be an escaliting counter movement on an unorganized random appearing front. One day that could become organized and the governments will need to control the internets in order to detect and combat this. So really they are creating what they fear by trying to prevent it at the expense of the rights of the people.
  • all police officers must have an active camera and microphone attached to them at all times while on duty. problem solved.
  • How about teachers? ;)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    How about teachers? ;)

Might keep them from slacking off and posting on internet forums tho.
  • Both protected by unions... good luck.
  • Mark: Are rabble rousers like Sharpton part of your "privileged few"?

Awesome: Agree with the need to "fix" the colour issues that divide many areas of US life (hell, Canadian too, to a lesser extent). The problem starts when the black/white issues get used in a less than sympathetic instance. Trayvon Martin was a MUCH BETTER jumping off point for a race discussion than this one.

But, a bigger issue might be the whole BLUE / Non-blue colour issue, ESPECIALLY in the US. That is to say, Cops v. non cops.

And yes, body cams for all cops with direct feed to the web 24/7.
  • The Ferguson grand jury was never intended to bring an*indictment
    Lining up witnesses who contradicted Wilson's testimony, only to discredit them, was clearly the prosecutors' modus operandi in this investigative grand jury. That's the kind of procedure that should have been reserved for a courtroom in a criminal trial.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/ferguson-grand-jury-purpose-not-indictment
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    How about teachers? ;)

i'm fine with that. one school i worked at in south korea had cameras in all the classrooms. they were shown on tvs in the front room so parents could sit and watch the classes.
  • St. Louis Prosecutor's Organization Raised Money For Darren Wilson | Crooks and Liars
    In addition to his duties as the county prosecutor, Robert McCulloch is also the president of The Backstoppers, Inc., an organization used to fundraise for the men and women in uniform in both Missouri and Illinois. And, in August, his organization was affiliated with a t-shirt drive featuring a picture of Missouri and the statement “I SUPPORT OFFICER D. WILSON” which was set up to raise money for the Darren Wilson Defense Fund as well as The Backstoppers.

I'm sure 'Ol Bob was completely impartial tho.

The BackStoppers Inc.
  • Ted Nugent said it best.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Mark: Are rabble rousers like Sharpton part of your "privileged few"?

Tell ya what, I'll let you figure out who's the privileged ones overall and who's not... but here's a hint....

Not: Trayvon Martin, Sammy Yatin, and Tamir Rice

Mark
  • Any group with power that no longer feels associated with those they have power over will abuse that power. Be it a white police force and minorities who live in thier town or politicians and the general public.
    all police officers must have an active camera and microphone attached to them at all times while on duty. problem solved.

NYPD's New Body Cameras May Help Catch Crooked Cops in the Act