TT against tight villain

villain has been playing relatively tight. stats are something around 18/16 but not many hands played so far.

PokerStars Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25 USD)
Table 'Quintilla II' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: BB ($20.30 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG ($43.94 in chips)
Seat 3: VILLAIN ($25.35 in chips)
Seat 4: CO ($32.55 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO ($28.93 in chips)
Seat 6: SB ($25.10 in chips)
SB: posts small blind $0.10
BB: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ts Td]
UTG: folds
VILLAIN: raises $0.50 to $0.75
CO: folds
HERO: calls $0.75 <- was looking to just set mine but i am on button so raise is possible too i'd think
SB: folds
BB: folds
*** FLOP *** [9h Jh 9s]
VILLAIN: bets $1.32
HERO: calls $1.32
*** TURN *** [9h Jh 9s] [Ah]
VILLAIN: checks <- this check is what throws me off i think.
HERO: checks
*** RIVER *** [9h Jh 9s Ah] [3s]
VILLAIN: bets $2.75
HERO: ?

please help me put villain on a range here. i'm thinking he could have paired his J on the flop and slowed down when the A hit the turn. although, i guess it's possible that he hit a flush on the turn and was checking hoping i'd fall for the bait. i don't think a 9 is slowing down as there's a good chance that me hitting the A will keep me calling.

my check behind on the turn continues to show some weakness (after just calling the flop as well).

by river, is this an easy fold? is there a play to be made here on this hand? raise flop maybe? represent the A on the turn maybe? any thoughts?

Comments

• My gut says nut flush or better. He threw you a noose to hang yourself on the turn which you turned down so he made a value bet on the river. Don't ask me why.

Could be a J, could be any pocket pair really once you don't bet the A. The pair is more likely than not decent given his early position bet and tight play. Could also be a good A fearing the 3rd heart and two 9s. Could be a 9 hoping you just hit your A and will bet it. But I find tight passive players often check flopped trips when first to act (the better ones can bet... wish I knew more about him). Could easily be a good flush and maybe a boat.

Your check of the turn pretty much madates a river bet by villian. The size of the river bet doesn't say much. So the action on the river tells you diddly sqwat.

There's not too much you are beating here (maybe low pocket or KQs) so I would probably fold to the river bet.

You could have tried to rep the A on the turn hoping he had a high pocket pair or a J but you might have been walking into a trap.
  • no other comments at all? i switched from zoom to regular 6 max cash just for pkrfce9 so i can supply some history on the villain and then he doesn't even show up to comment :mad: :D
  • i feel like i could have raised the flop and had a chance to take it down there. however, if villain calls and Ah hits the turn i'm shutting down.

i also feel that as played, i could have made a play on the turn when the Ah hits. if i'm raised it's an easy fold. if i'm called i'm probably again shutting it down and looking to get to showdown.

as played, on river i think it's an easy fold to his bet, but i feel like i played it way too passively and there are a lot of hands that villain is betting river with. i'm probably still behind most of his value range though i think.
  • Lol, when there are no other replies after mine it makes me feel like mine was so idiotic no one else wants to touch the thread :D
  • Lol, when there are no other replies after mine it makes me feel like mine was so idiotic no one else wants to touch the thread :D

lol or it's perfect and no more need to comment.
  • trigs wrote: »
    no other comments at all? i switched from zoom to regular 6 max cash just for pkrfce9 so i can supply some history on the villain and then he doesn't even show up to comment :mad: :D
    Your tt is no good on the turn. He checked to induce.

Raise pf.

P. S. FK U TRIGS!
  • i would play in a higher stakes game with better players if you really want to test your game skills.
  • chaimr1924 wrote: »
    i would play in a higher stakes game with better players if you really want to test your game skills.

want to bankroll me?
    want to bankroll me?
    You are in my wiil.Hang in there.^-^
  • I'm going to take a different tack here.

He raised pre-flop, which means he has to continue on the flop, especially on a paired board.

Calling flop is fine, you don't want to let him stop bluffing if he doesn't have it and you want to keep the pot small if he does have it.

The Ace on the turn is ugly. Chances are that hits a lot of his pre-flop raising range. Checking is good, again, you are either way ahead or way behind.

River is a blank. And now he decides to bet. I call river.

Your hand has showdown value, he could have been betting anything on the flop and now, thinks you are scared of the Ace and can only win if he bets. Plus, you are gaining some very valuable info from seeing how he played what he had.

TT is too strong to let it go for 5.5 BBs.
  • I don't think you can call the river in this situation. I think your biggest mistake was calling PF, you should have 3-bet to gain more information depending on if he calls/4-bets.

As for the river play, I think you need to fold as there are way to many hands that beat you... AQ/AKs, AA,KK,QQ,JJ....With his 3xBB in such early position I am almost certain he had one of those given he is actually a tight player.
  • I don't think villain has a flush. The board was paired so giving you a free card would be a bad idea and potentially lose villain value in the long run. I don't think he has a nine either. Not to many hands in his mp open range that contain a nine and with two of them being otf and the fact that villain checks turn is another good indicator he probably doesn't have a nine. But there is a small chance. I doubt he has a jack he's chopping with all other jacks beside AJ so him making a thin value bet otr is unlikely.

I do however think it's possible he has an ace. He ranges bet flop hoping to take it down maybe fold out small pp's and hands with equity. When he's called and the turns a ace he then decides to pot control. He's only getting one more street of value if you have a jack anyways,you may decide to bluff turn with hands like KQ which would fold if he bet, your pp's that called otf have very little equity vs him so he's not giving up much especially if he has a heart and you aren't checking back your draws. The hands that beat him however like flushes and 9x he's way behind so x/c and letting you bluff your draws or potentially spiking another ace or a heart and jumping ahead make sense. So when the turn goes check,check and the rivers a blank it's a clear value bet.

He could be bluffing with hands like Q10+,KQ ect but you block all the 10x in his range and he checked turn oop usually oop you want to continue to play your draws aggressively. I would rather bluff catch 88 than 1010. Regardless Vs an unknown I am folding.

As for trying any crazy plays otr. This is definitely one of the hands you could turn into a bluff although it would be nice to have a heart it's not mandatory. You block a lot of villains bluffs so he probably has a value hand and since it's unlikely he has a nutted hand(flush,fullhouse) he's probably near the bottom of his value betting range (thin value betting) he could even have QQ or KK as well. That being said I think it's a good spot to put in a raise, even his 9x that checked the turn would be in a tough spot.
    villain has been playing relatively tight. stats are something around 18/16 but not many hands played so far.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to HERO [Ts Td]
    HERO: calls $0.75 <- was looking to just set mine but i am on button so raise is possible too i'd think
    *** FLOP *** [9h Jh 9s]

please help me put villain on a range here. i'm thinking he could have paired his J on the flop and slowed down when the A hit the turn. although, i guess it's possible that he hit a flush on the turn and was checking hoping i'd fall for the bait. i don't think a 9 is slowing down as there's a good chance that me hitting the A will keep me calling.

my check behind on the turn continues to show some weakness (after just calling the flop as well).

by river, is this an easy fold? is there a play to be made here on this hand? raise flop maybe? represent the A on the turn maybe? any thoughts?

Calling pf with TT is fine.
    by the river you beat 88, and KQ, K8.
    Fold
  • A 9 yr old post...? Trigs, you still play TT this way? That's only 2 cards, never thought you would play anything less than 4.
    trigs

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to HERO [Ts Td]
    *** FLOP *** [9h Jh 9s]

Calling pf with TT is fine.
    by the river you beat 88, and KQ, K8.
    Fold

Reef! You're alive! When are you coming to the next game?
  • compuease wrote: »
    A 9 yr old post...? Trigs, you still play TT this way? That's only 2 cards, never thought you would play anything less than 4.

What is this two-card game? No idea how I'd play it anymore lol.
  • Anymore? When did you know how to play poker?
  • moose wrote: »
    Anymore? When did you know how to play poker?

Fair enough.