i suck vs. villain's good?

i don't have the specifics since i'm at work atm, but here's the basics.

zoom $0.50 big blind. effective stacks are around 120 BBs. i'm on the button and villain is CO. folds to villain who makes standard 3xBB raise. i look down at KhQh and 3bet to 9xBB. blinds fold and CO just calls.

flop comes J63 rainbow. villain checks and i cbet 2/3 pot. villain calls.

turn is 9x still all rainbow. villain checks again. i bet 2/3 pot again. villain calls.

river is another blank, i think a deuce. villain checks a third time. i have K high but i've been repping a big hand the whole way so i shove river for around another 3/4 pot. villain tanks for ever and calls off with 2 seconds left with TT and takes the pot.

terrible play by me? great call by him? both?

his weak line made me think he had exactly what he had, a pair lower than jacks. maybe he had paired the jack but had a weakish kicker. either way, i thought my best play was trying to force him to fold. i guess he could have had a set as well possibly, but i'd think he'd make a play at some point with a set. thoughts and comments please.

Comments

• Looks like he is a decent player who pegged you as a good player who could fire 3 streets even when you miss. You 3 bet preflop so most likely you missed that ugly flop or less likely you have a higher pair. If he's right he wins if he's wrong he loses the minimum.

Or he's a crappy play who can't fold a pair.

Usually a shove on the river makes your hand look weak. But I wouldn't say your shove looks weak since with what you have left you can't make a just a value bet.

I don't mind your play but I would consider balking the river bet. His call on the turn would cause me concern. If you check the river he probably checks.
  • Was your opponent's name bill?

It's a bit of a challenge to analyze zoom hands because it is basically a vacuum. is he loose, tight, good, bad. Who the fuck knows? Zoom is for guys that want to play a lot of hands, not make mystifying soul reads.

In your shoes I check behind. He called a 3 bet and 2 streets. Why would he fold now?

Remember, crappy poker talk >>>>>>>>>>> philosophy, Jian, home renovations and all the other shit ON THIS POKER SITE. ☺
  • If you check the river he probably checks.
    Qft
    Good read.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Qft
    Good read.

Lol, I need to stop and read and think before I reply :-[. At some point during my reply I lost track of position.
  • No worries. I was just having some fun. It's so nice to be talking about POKER again!
  • I agree with checking this river. Nothing wrong with a triple barrel, but I would probably save it for a better spot. If the board had more flop/turn draws, for example like JQ6 or J63ss, then I think you absolutley should fire the river if you fire the turn - but with this runout it definitley feels like hes got showdown value and isnt folding. Its almost like he has to have a J, or in this case TT.
  • thanks for comments guys.

yeah, maybe if the board ran out a bit differently it would have made a difference. i just knew that checking the river was giving up the hand and i was reluctant to do that, but that may have been the right play.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Remember, crappy poker talk >>>>>>>>>>> philosophy, Jian, home renovations and all the other shit ON THIS POKER SITE. ☺

...but can't we have both?

i know i clog up the off topic thread a lot of the time, but if you check you'll notice the last 6 threads in this section are all mine. i might be alone in keeping this forum going lol :D
  • No
    And thank you
  • As mentioned above I think it's a hard board to bluff given your 3-bet pre-flop, your hand is either being represent as AK/AQ or a higher pair, looks like he made a good read and call.

I'm Not sure how he did it given it's at a zoom table and he doesn't have a lot of info on you. Tbh I think checking behind on the river would have been the right play as there is a lot of hands in his range that could beat you in that position.