my poker tv show pitch

$1 Million Cash Game Tournament featuring 6 max $250-$500 blinds $100 antes tables with a $100K buy-in. We’re talking deep stacked, action-filled cash games!

The premise of the show is this: There are 12 contestants who compete against each other 6 players at a time (chosen randomly). Each round will consist of these 6 chosen players who are required to play for either a set amount of time or a set number of hands. Once the round is complete, players will be ranked based on their profit/loss for the round (and players keep all the money they win as in a normal cash game).With every round each player plays (maybe 3 to 5 rounds - as long as everyone plays an equal amount of times), their profit/loss is added to their previous rounds. Players are allowed to rebuy any time they want up to $100K. The top 6 players with the highest profits from this round robin scenario move onto the “final table”.

The “final table” plays the same as the round robin (maybe with increased blinds and buy-ins). The final 6 players will play 3 rounds with the same time limit or hand limit as in the round robin. Each round will use random seating. The winner is the player with the highest profit after the three rounds. The winner not only keeps the cash they won in all the rounds, but they also get the $1 million prize (maybe the whole final table can have payouts as well).

Some interesting dynamics: The time limit or hand limit will come into play for sure. A player with a huge stack may want to try to hold onto it and fold near the end (this would require a rule that players can take a break whenever they want but their stacks will be blinded out while they are away). Meanwhile, a player who is stuck may realize that the only way they can move on is to gamble it up and take a chance at a big pot near the end.

Certain things are obviously up for debate such as buy-in, blinds, time/hand limit, number of contestants, and number of rounds. One round could be formatted as a 1-hour show or maybe five 30 minute episodes to be shown Monday to Friday sort of thing.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Terrible idea? Any issues you can foresee?

Comments

• First in!
  • compuease wrote: »
    First in!

i should have mentioned that they are buying in with their own money. the freeroll awards only come in making the final table.
  • Rake free?
    Byob / byos?
  • trigs wrote: »
    i should have mentioned that they are buying in with their own money. the freeroll awards only come in making the final table.

oh...:-[
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Rake free?
    Byob / byos?

we're hopefully catering to the high rollers. no rake. food and booze provided (by the sponsor).
  • Tldr. Are there qualifiers and changing roles at the whim of the TD? I think I know a host.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Tldr. Are there qualifiers and changing roles at the whim of the TD? I think I know a host.

should have read it. it's genius.
  • It would be more challenging this way. Might save you a million...
  • Even if its their own money, playing for a set number of hands will only lead to numerous all ins.
  • JimmyHo wrote: »
    Even if its their own money, playing for a set number of hands will only lead to numerous all ins.

do you really think so? there are certain situations that may lead to a few people doing this, but i don't think it will be "as bad as" you think.

first of all, they still have to consider their total profits over all the rounds. for example, if there are 5 rounds and it's only round 2 or 3, i don't think the chance of numerous all ins will be a big issue.

now, if it's the last round and the player is very close to making the cut, they may play more aggressively and take some chances, but i don't think they'll just start pushing all in like mad. there will obviously be some sort of cut off. if they are down $300K overall for example, it may already be too late for them since they can only buy in for $100K and can only win as much based on the money in front of them.

also, the first place prize is $1 million, so at some point the player isn't going to keep risking money to win that prize. i mean, are they really going to risk $600K, $700K, $800K just to have the chance to hopefully go on a huge upswing just to have the chance to possibly win $1 million total on the final table? maybe some will be willing but i don't think it'll be as big an issue as you may think.

maybe i'm wrong though so i'd be interested in hearing why you think this would happen.

also, i'm interested in why you think this would be a bad thing even if a few people did end up playing like this. i'm assuming it is bad because "it's not really playing properly" and therefore it is "not real poker" or something along those lines. maybe that is true, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining for some. for example, i'm sure there are some people who enjoyed watching sahamies doing $200K flips against whoever just for the hell of it.
  • here's another idea. how about a televised live cash game where the players have to show their hands every time they see a flop no matter if they win or lose. no mucking allowed.

for example, you fold to a flop cbet against one opponent and you both still have to flip over your own cards to show the table. could be kind of fun to watch the crazy dynamics that may arise.
  • I do kind of miss High Stakes Poker.
  • I do kind of miss High Stakes Poker.

i read an article the other day that said it may be coming back. i really miss HSP too.
  • I'm in if there is a spinning wheel at the start of each hand...spinnnnnnnnnnn
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm in if there is a spinning wheel at the start of each hand...spinnnnnnnnnnn

spinning wheels are fun, i agree. we can try to incorporate one somehow.