selling your own house

Anyone done this? It seems like the right thing to do in a good market now that the mls monopoly in Canada is over?

Comments

• Still some risks you need a lawyer to look over in order to cover your ass.
  • Sure, I would get a lawyer which would cost less than 2k or so but is there any need for a Realtor in the Calgary market? I already have a local business owner who has been asking me to sell him my house if I end up moving to BC.
  • On the move again...could be the next True Detective mini series....I'm on to you!

The issues that most sellers overlook when selling a house privately is the exposure. Although the Calgary market may be 'hot', this is just more reason to have it listed on MLS so it gets the proper exposure necessary to get the best price. Also, a good agent will get you top dollar in the negotiation process which will more than cover their commission.

I tried to sell a condo privately and you get people showing interest but it is too easy for them to walk away from a private deal, even if they have made a deposit.

What I would do is list it on MLS but make an exclusion for the person that has shown an interest. That way you ensure you receive full value for the property, and maybe you can work out a price that works for you and the interested purchaser, that is better for you than selling it on MLS net of commissions.

Another option is to use a low commission MLS listing with comfree.com etc. You still get the MLS exposure without having to pay 5% commission.
  • Tried selling mine myself through duproprio.com , it,s not quite "by myself" but close enough.
    All in all, got 3 visits. No offer.
    After 5-6 months of waiting I decided to take a realtor and thing started moving. Suer I'm going to lose a boatload of money but at least I'm going to sell at some point in the near future.
  • I would still list on mls but not through a Realtor.
  • i'm not an expert but i'm pretty certain that there are ways that you can sell privately but still advertise on mls. i don't know about BC, but in ontario there's "property guys" and one other one that i can't remember the name of. if you go through them, they will post on mls for you.
  • yea i used property guys and we got tons of hits from people just checking it out. you will save so much money its worth the smallish hit in traffic.
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    yea i used property guys and we got tons of hits from people just checking it out. you will save so much money its worth the smallish hit in traffic.

so the process was just listing with Property Guys on MLS and then getting a lawyer to do the paperwork, correct?
  • Don't forget the couch movers . . . got to keep them happy.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    so the process was just listing with Property Guys on MLS and then getting a lawyer to do the paperwork, correct?

Some sites will assist with the negotiations for a small fee. I'm pretty sure if you list on MLS you are likely still looking at the 2.5% commission to the purchaser's agent, not unless you find a buyer who contacts you directly through the site. Most prospective buyers will be finding your property on MLS through an agent.
  • I won't even quote the last part of that post because it's quite possibly the most insensitive, inappropriate, idiotic comment I've ever heard you make.

Show some class man and edit that out.
  • JimmyHo wrote: »

Any chance the sister in law may sue you for not adequately fencing off the pond on your property and almost drowning her son??

Is this an attempt an humour?
  • Classless Jim, classless... Humour is fine but that is just classless. Please fix or I will..
  • Lots of crazy bitchz out there. No blame intended. People get sued all the time for accidents on their property.
  • I love MLS.

Im going to go browse on it right now
  • I did that when I lived in Vancouver, but it just made me depressed. When I moved here it seemed much less depressing.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Classless Jim, classless... Humour is fine but that is just classless. Please fix or I will..
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of editing others, but in this case I think you should also delete the quote that preserves the comment.

I'm going to forgo a rant on how disgusted I am and leave it to your discretion.
  • MsBlue wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of editing others, but in this case I think you should also delete the quote that preserves the comment.

I'm going to forgo a rant on how disgusted I am and leave it to your discretion.

I corrected the wording but you would never know that now since my reword was deleted. Any lawsuits may prevent your ability to sell a property.
  • Just as with scamming threads, when an individual's character is displayed in a quote it should remain for future reference.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Just as with scamming threads, when an individual's character is displayed in a quote it should remain for future reference.

Agreed