Reibs - Oct & Nov Brantford Tournaments

Hey guys, I am putting together a BAP for the Thursday deepstack tournies for the next few weeks. I plan to play them all, but if something comes up and I don't play it will obviously be refunded. I will not play if I do not feel 100% as I do not think that is fair to either of us. Also, there is a chance I decide to get a job again at some point, which would kill this action. I reserve the right to cancel any of these games and refund you all (including markup obviously).

I plan to sell 50% at 1.1 markup

Oct 23 - $125 deepstack
Oct 30 - $230 deepstack
Nov 6 - $125 deepstack
Nov 13 - $160 deepstack
Nov 20 - $230 deepstack

Total - $870 * 1.1 = $957

5% = $47.85
10% = $95.70

Will see how these five go and go from there... Would prefer if I didn't have to deal with less than 5% chunks, but will see based on demand I guess.

Live, I have played two of the $550 deepstacks at Brantford, chopped one HU for $12k, and 22nd in the other.

Sharkscope stats:
SharkScope - Online and Live Poker Statistics

Prefer emt or stars. I will message u details if you need them.

rwpkrplr - 5% paid
jdAA - 5% paid
Hobbes - 5% paid
Actyper - 20% paid
GTA - 10% paid
Milo - 5% paid

Sold Out. Thanks guys that was really quick! Much appreciated.

Comments

• 10...pm emt info
  • 5%. when do you need it by?
  • Sold Out....

Milo, whenever you can is fine. Be nice to have for the first event, but I trust you for the 5%, so whenever.
  • Oh no, nothing like that . . . just going to be busy as all hell for the next few days, but definitely before the weekend is over. No worries.
  • gl reibs!
  • Shipped.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Shipped.

thx!
  • I'll send on stars on Sunday or next time I logom
  • Shipped.... GL
  • busted bullet #1 today....

TLDR trip report for the fans:

First hand I played was 55, utg1 raised 3x, MP called, and I called from sb. Three of us to the flop, KT5cc, I check-raised, got one caller. 5 on the turn, I bet, he called. River was a blank, I bet like 1/5th pot, tanked for a min then called, and showed a T in disbelief that I had quads ???. That hand had me up to ~20k from 15k starting stack.

Folded for two levels practically after getting nothing but 26o and shit. Finally I decided to abuse my image a bit... I have 24s on the btn, utg raised (very active big stack), utg+2 called, and I squeezed. Obviously they both called. Flop AJJ, checked to me, I c-bet, utg folds and utg+2 calls. Turn A, goes check check because I picked up a flush draw and wanted to see the river, and I was basically giving up at this point anyways, figuring he had a J and wasn't going to fold no matter what. River brings my flush and thankfully he checks to me, so we see the showdown and he only had K high. Guess my read was off a bit.

Had a hand where I held AQo, vs a young-ish competent looking guy, on a runout of J8K48 with a flush draw on the flop. He checked flop, I cbet, he called. Turn went check-check, and he bets river... Felt like a missed draw, like QT, 9T, type thing. I figured he would have raised the flop with a FD though, so I ended up folding and told him to show the bluff. He did 9T, and I sighed.

Another hand vs same guy where I was in bb and 4 ppl limped in. Flop was A high, and I had A7. Young guy bets three streets and I believe the board was A24J6 with hearts completing a FD on turn and river. I folded river and he claimed to have A6 when I spoke w him later on. :bs:

Sat around 15k for the next level or two until the big hand happened, and I think I made a mistake...

Get dealt KK in the bb, blinds at 200/400/25 ante I believe. utg+1 active guy opens to 900, folds to sb (fairly tight middle aged guy) who flats. I raised to 2800 or so, utg folds, and sb calls. Flop 727r... he checks and I checked back, knowing there is really only one scare card for me, and he likely hit none of that board. Turn is a Td which puts two diamonds out there. He bets I think about 1/2 pot, which I really considered just jamming over, but in the end I got greedy and just called incase he was bluffing, this way he could bluff again on the river. River was a 9d and he bets again, another 4k or so.... I puked a bit when I called and he showed AJdd for the flush. Down to 4k stack and 10bb.

Shoved a few hands later and doubled A9hh>78cc up to 8k.

Few orbits go by with no spots, blinds go up and before I know it I am at 10bb again. I did manage to shove once or twice and pick up some blinds.

Then I shoved AKo over an ep limp with 11-12bb, he called with QJo. I flopped tptk, but when the turn gave me two pair and him a straight draw, I knew it was game over for me.... obv T on the river and I busted.

They were not updating board so I don't know what place I finished, prob something like 40th? / 61....

On to the next one next week.

Oh and btw, I had two headhunters contact me during this game by email, with job opportunities, so we will see where those lead me. Just an update so you are all up to speed on that.
  • GG...I play an overpair like that at times in a cash game, but I think in a tournament you want to play it more straight forward with your sized stack.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    GG...I play an overpair like that at times in a cash game, but I think in a tournament you want to play it more straight forward with your sized stack.

Yeah I think I agree. He said he would have folded to a turn shove, but that's just results oriented thinking, I believe.
  • reibs wrote: »
    Yeah I think I agree. He said he would have folded to a turn shove, but that's just results oriented thinking, I believe.

True. I feel that checking flop is for pot control with "just" an overpair when super deep (>300-500bb) in a cash game and to induce a full bluffing range on later streets. When relatively shallow in a tournament with an overpair! I believe that your chips are more valuable and, perhaps, you should protect them a bit by applying more pressure on the flop although this may decrease your chance of accumulating the maximum number of chips by inducing bluffs. I'm not sure what effective stacks were after the 3 bet but I think there are enough chips out there that a 3/4 pot sized bet on the flop in position is almost always indicated, especially when you think of his range being TT-QQ, AQ/AK (live poker again)...AJsooted is probably the very bottom of his range as you describe him, I imagine he delayed a bit before even calling your initial 3bet.

Also, in live pokers it is very rare for a player to bet turn and river with a pure bluff, but the way you played it you would have to call river as he has pairs (JJ, maybe QQ -- live poker) in his range. Betting turn and river live is a pretty strong line.

Or words to that effect, I just woke up.

I'm not a tournament player, maybe someone else will give their opinion.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    True. I feel that checking flop is for pot control with "just" an overpair when super deep (>300-500bb) in a cash game and to induce a full bluffing range on later streets. When relatively shallow in a tournament with an overpair! I believe that your chips are more valuable and, perhaps, you should protect them a bit by applying more pressure on the flop although this may decrease your chance of accumulating the maximum number of chips by inducing bluffs. I'm not sure what effective stacks were after the 3 bet but I think there are enough chips out there that a 3/4 pot sized bet on the flop in position is almost always indicated, especially when you think of his range being TT-QQ, AQ/AK (live poker again)...AJsooted is probably the very bottom of his range as you describe him, I imagine he delayed a bit before even calling your initial 3bet.

Also, in live pokers it is very rare for a player to bet turn and river with a pure bluff, but the way you played it you would have to call river as he has pairs (JJ, maybe QQ -- live poker) in his range. Betting turn and river live is a pretty strong line.

Or words to that effect, I just woke up.

I'm not a tournament player, maybe someone else will give their opinion.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, cash/mtt/whatever, good/bad... all opinions teach you something. I try to listen to it all. And obv you have much more live experience than I do.

The flop check was to let him catch up with his Ax hands, and also to induce bluffs on turn, which is did... I just have to work on getting the river to be a blank. Had a diff suit come up, I have no doubts he still bets as he knows he cannot win with A high.

If we bet the flop, I think he folds everything but pairs, say 88-QQ = 30 combos, which he may not even have those that much. I presume he doesn't call twice pre with QQ, maybe not even JJ. He might even fold 88 pre. In that case, we are betting for value vs a tiny tiny calling range, no?

His Ax hands (ATs+, AJo+) is 52 combos, of which I believe he plays this way almost always.
  • reibs wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's opinion, cash/mtt/whatever, good/bad... all opinions teach you something. I try to listen to it all. And obv you have much more live experience than I do.

The flop check was to let him catch up with his Ax hands, and also to induce bluffs on turn, which is did... I just have to work on getting the river to be a blank. Had a diff suit come up, I have no doubts he still bets as he knows he cannot win with A high.

If we bet the flop, I think he folds everything but pairs, say 88-QQ = 30 combos, which he may not even have those that much. I presume he doesn't call twice pre with QQ, maybe not even JJ. He might even fold 88 pre. In that case, we are betting for value vs a tiny tiny calling range, no?

His Ax hands (ATs+, AJo+) is 52 combos, of which I believe he plays this way almost always.

You are right with QQ...JJ/TT would play this way preflop live pretty often (if he's a tight player as you described). I think you fold out 88/99 pretty often vs. live players at this level.

I think that you got most of your value in preflop and aren't going to extract much more with the best hand after that vs. a tight live player unless he has JJ/TT/(99) in which case you should be betting the flop for value as there are lots of scare cards for him on the turn/river where he c/folds. IMO you cannot get a much better flop than that for trying to extract the only value you sill be getting post flop. I think I said to bet 3/4 pot, but I would probably actually bet closer to just over 1/2 pot in this situation to have it appear more of a Cbet.

I think a tight live player c/folds river to a blank with the played line and does not take a stab at it. If he were a thinking player he would have bet much larger with a backdoor flush on the river and that would be the same bet sizing as his bluffs. The fact that he only bet 4k makes me think he is most likely to c/fold blanks.
  • I agree with GTA on the KK hand. You have to play those fast at Brantford as most of the players will not fold pre-flop. I 3-bet to $3k here and expect two callers. On the flop, I lead out for $4k, or about half pot and wait for villain to spew.

They are putting you on A-K or A-Q and think you whiffed, or they have a pocket pair, and figure they are good.

On turn, there's 15k in the pot and you have $10k behind. After taking some tank time, I shove, again, it looks like A-K or A-Q trying to get them to fold, they call with their nut flush draw and you hope they don't hit.
  • as played on the KK hand, u need to jam over his open on turn all day (given stack sizes)

I like bettting out flop, as it makes it easier to get all the chips in on the turn
  • Yah like I said it was pretty obvious to me that I made a mistake not jamming turn. I can admit I make mistakes too, that's how we learn.

I still think betting flop is kinda meh tho if we are trying to win the max long term. If we know he has pairs then obv we bet but the majority of the time he will not have those.

Thanks tho guys. Appreciate all input. :)
  • Sorry I forgot about this.

Shipped via emt
  • hah I kinda forgot too. no prob.

thank you sir.

Gonna call and reg for Thursday shortly. glgl us.
  • So today was kinda frustrating... First of all my table was actually decent for a change. A few young guys who were pretty solid (other than the odd pot sized bet on dry boards), one or two tight older guys, and really only one or two real good spots, but even they were pretty tight-ish. I actually feel like my table was a lot tougher today than the 550 deepstack I chopped. Guess table draw is pretty important in any tournament though.

I played pretty tight early. Think I had AKs once, raised over the limpers pre, got a few callers, and didn't hit the flop, u know the story...

One hand w 99, couple limpers so I raised, two callers to a flop of 567. I bet, one caller. Turn 6, I bet, he calls. River Q we both check and he shows 68. Good thing he didn't bet cus I was gunna check-call.

A few other hands where I raised pre, and either got 3 bet or called and had to fold post when my hand was no where near the flop.

Was down to ~6-7k and I managed to get KJs to river a flush, and I got the guy who flopped trips to pay me off. :D Back up to starting stack of 15k.

Got AA once, I 3 bet an active guy, and he found the fold button for like the first time. Other than that, I was stuck opening hands like J9s, 9Ts, whenever I could.

Hovered around 13-14k for an hr or so...while the dealers gave me a steady dose of 83o, 34o, etc.

Shoved a few hands in LP when I got down to 10-12 bb... no callers.

The bust out hand.... I had ATo in the CO. Utg+2 was pretty active young guy, opened for 2.5x or something similar, maybe 2.25x.... I jammed my 11bb, and btn woke up with JJ. the flop gave him trips, and me a pair of tens plus some back door outs. Turn gave me a chance to hit straight and flush, but river blanked. Utg+2 told me he had KQ and would have called also if btn didn't. Would have lost to him also. :bs:

Sigh, bcc.
  • Was this the table in the farthest left corner of the room with the dealer facing the usual final table? If so, djgolfcan was in this table when I was moved here after somebody had busted out vs JJ, then I was later moved besides Mathers. :o Does anybody want a mini trip report and if so, where should I post it?
    reibs wrote: »
    ... First of all my table was actually decent for a change. A few young guys who were pretty solid (other than the odd pot sized bet on dry boards), one or two tight older guys, and really only one or two real good spots, but even they were pretty tight-ish. I actually feel like my table was a lot tougher today than the 550 deepstack I chopped. Guess table draw is pretty important in any tournament though.
  • dunno who mathers is, but pretty certain DJ was not at my table. I was table 5. on the left hand side when u are walkin in the room, second from the corner. But yes dealer faces the FT.

Feel free to post in here buddy.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Was this the table in the farthest left corner of the room with the dealer facing the usual final table? If so, djgolfcan was in this table when I was moved here after somebody had busted out vs JJ, then I was later moved besides Mathers. :o Does anybody want a mini trip report and if so, where should I post it?
    Sure put up a tr. Maybe on a poker forum somewhere?
  • Maybe give the results of your bap while you are at it?
  • Bit of a good news/bad news update folks...

Good news: I am reg'd for tomorrows $125 deepstack, and I am going to ship it.

Bad news: This will be the last tourney I can play in for this BAP, as I have accepted a temporary placement for the next three weeks for an afternoon shift at my old work. Unfortunately, guaranteed money wins in this case ;)

So, after I ship tomorrow, I will figure out refunds/payments and ship back to everyone on ~Friday at some point. Definitely will not be any later than Saturday though if by chance I do not get around to it on Friday.

Thanks everyone, and gl one last time!!