Halloween!

I love/go crazy on ALL holidays, but I think Halloween has gotta be the best! :)

Decorations, games, kid's EPIC imaginations, adult dress-up, the right to try to scare anyone, no gifts to buy, no boring, routine, holiday meal plan...every food group is candied, and kid-friendly.

I even like pumpkin guts. :h:

Here is Phase 1 of our Halloween Activities: Early decorations..these are the cheap ones that will last from now until then. More to come!

image-8.jpg

image-6.jpg

Phase 2: Gift boxes and bags for the special kids (friends) that come Trick or Treating at our house.

image-9.jpg

Phase 3: Pumpkin Patch for the little ones, then this Haunted Ship, and the Field of Screams for the big kids

Phase 4: FOOD!

roasted-pumpkin-seeds11.jpg

and

caramel-apples.jpg

and

Pumpkin/Walnut Cheesecake

7d154-pumpkin-walnut-cheesecake.jpg

are on the menu this year.

Phase 5: Pumpkin Carving bet: The two adults and two teenage kids are competing for facebook humiliation...I've pretty much got this in the bag. ;)

Phase 6: More Decorations
a) I have an animated, winged reaper type guy that is getting strung up near the door.
b) I have 40 white paper lanterns that are being turned into ghosts and strung up in the yard
c) creepy eyes in the lilac bush behind the cemetery...I have been saving rolls for this for a while, hopefully enough to fill it!

121029_010.JPG

121029_018.JPG

d) Switch porchlight for black light and add tunnel of black light glowing cobwebs

Phase 7: Convince GW to tone down his zombie act, so he doesn't scare the little Trick or Treaters this year.

Phase 8: Make our 500 chocolate bars stretch until at least 7:00pm, then send teenager to store frantically (we give 2/kid)

Phase 9: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!>:D

Comments

• Lol...I got so excited about my plans I forgot the point.

I wanna know:

Are you dressing up?
    --As what?

For the parents:
    --What are your kids going as?

Do you decorate?
    --Pics of decorations or GTFO

Post pics of your carved pumpkin

Post activities and/or food brags/beats
  • Last year, wife and I did a big Zombie walk here in town with a bunch of people. I was pretty surprised at how ghoulish some of the kids were. I thought they would have freaked out.

I'm pretty sure we posted last years decorations on here somewhere. I'll try and refind them. Wife loves doing the front of the house up.

Our Ravens we cut out of plywood (that was fun, 10 jigsaw blades later).
    PA310409.jpg
  • Last year, wife and I did a big Zombie walk here in town with a bunch of people. I was pretty surprised at how ghoulish some of the kids were. I thought they would have freaked out.

I'm not sure if this was ever posted on PFC, but here is a Zombie walk I did a few years ago with two forum members: DrTyore and 8ball (I think that was Ty's forum name, right?)

We are the characters from the video game Left4dead

zombie.jpg

Left_4_Dead_Revised_Cast.jpg
  • Also, I did this to DrTyore's dining room while he was at work one year...

75796_10150300653130542_1878978_n.jpg?oh=449ac5466877f419eab997af54e6183e&oe=54F2D332&__gda__=1420764153_9a595d06e3b4e245626418608ef6caab
  • We hadn't fully bloodied ourselves yet in this pic. Wife made the blood out of corn syrup, food colouring and something else. It was actually really yummy. I seem to remember we made the front page of the local rag.

zombiewalk2_zps86edccb7.jpg

Zombiewalk_zpsa8dd55d1.jpg
  • Awesome!
  • I think there were about 50 of us. We had a little parade down the main drag in town, trolled some local shops then gathered at a local heritage museum with a bar (we do heritage museums the way they should be around here) and got loaded. Hope we do it again this year.
  • Daughter is crushed that the store she works at is mandating minion costumes for employees that wish to dress up at work on Hallowe'en. Might let her turn me into a Walking Dead zombie to ease her pain. Will post pics if she does.
  • zombie minion!
  • Kristy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was ever posted on PFC, but here is a Zombie walk I did a few years ago with two forum members: DrTyore and 8ball (I think that was Ty's forum name, right?)

We are the characters from the video game Left4dead

zombie.jpg

Left_4_Dead_Revised_Cast.jpg
    Louis, Zoey, Bill, and Francis. I love that game, and Left 4 Dead 2 is even better. There's been a ton of rummors about Left 4 Dead 3 being released soon, but who knows if they're true.
  • the gf and i love halloween (although i just love it because i get to watch all the halloween themed movies in october!)

she's been decorating a little bit but nothing crazy. she's pretty good at pumpkin carving and has made some really good ones over the years. if i can find some pics i'll post them.
  • The thing I hate about pumpkin carving is the smell. Absolutely can't stand it. Makes me want to go out to the van and get my chem respirator, then my wife calls me a drama queen. I can deal with denatured alcohol shellac based primer, but pumpkin gut makes me want to puke. Plus, the primer at least gives you a little buzz which is nice. Pumpkin gut, not so much buzz.
  • Louis, Zoey, Bill, and Francis. I love that game, and Left 4 Dead 2 is even better. There's been a ton of rummors about Left 4 Dead 3 being released soon, but who knows if they're true.

Did you notice the pain pills and pipe bomb (that actually lit up) on my hips? We also made health packs. Also our "Bill" is a zombie since he dies between one and two. Geeks gotta geek.

For team playing, I really liked L4D better than L4D2.
    The thing I hate about pumpkin carving is the smell. Absolutely can't stand it. Makes me want to go out to the van and get my chem respirator, then my wife calls me a drama queen. I can deal with denatured alcohol shellac based primer, but pumpkin gut makes me want to puke. Plus, the primer at least gives you a little buzz which is nice. Pumpkin gut, not so much buzz.

Pro tip: leave pumpkin on step overnight and carve somewhere cool. It will help with the smell.
    Did you notice the pain pills and pipe bomb (that actually lit up) on my hips? We also made health packs. Also our "Bill" is a zombie since he dies between one and two. Geeks gotta geek.

For team playing, I really liked L4D better than L4D2.

That pipe bomb looks identicle to the one in the game. Nice job on everything!
  • trigs wrote: »
    the gf and i love halloween (although i just love it because i get to watch all the halloween themed movies in october!)

she's been decorating a little bit but nothing crazy. she's pretty good at pumpkin carving and has made some really good ones over the years. if i can find some pics i'll post them.

Bump for pumpkin pics.
    I tried to see if I could find mine--no luck so far. I bought nicer carving tools the week after Halloween last year and I'm pumped to get going, but when I went to buy a practice pumpkin...they wanted $6 EACH from my local grocery store!?!?
    Sigh...now I have to wait a week until the pumpkin patch. :/
  • Btw Bill, if you haven't invested in a pumpkin scraper yet--you should. It makes cleaning out the pumpkin completely a 3 min job. Less exposure to moist, stinky, guts
  • Kristy, do you get the feeling you and I are the only ones actively participating in this thread?
    Kristy wrote: »
    Btw Bill, if you haven't invested in a pumpkin scraper yet--you should. It makes cleaning out the pumpkin completely a 3 min job. Less exposure to moist, stinky, guts

Never heard of a pumpkin scraper before. Might have to look into that. Wife's already bought a big pumpkin. A single pumpkin. Don't think I'm included in the pumpkin carving this year. Must have complained too much last year.

PA310414.jpg
  • I have high hopes that Trigs and PiggyPie will get photographically involved. I've always felt that creativity makes a good poker player great, so I'm hopeful that some of the others have potential. ;)

You can buy a cheap scraper/carving set at a box store for about $5...unless you plan on doing a really complicated partial carve/relief type pumpkin these are totally sufficient. More than enough to be the best damned pumpkin on your block, and something I bet your artistic wife would seriously enjoy!
    Bump for pumpkin pics.
    I tried to see if I could find mine--no luck so far. I bought nicer carving tools the week after Halloween last year and I'm pumped to get going, but when I went to buy a practice pumpkin...they wanted $6 EACH from my local grocery store!?!?
    Sigh...now I have to wait a week until the pumpkin patch. :/

these are the only ones i could find. these are from a couple years ago. they are three different michael myers masks from the halloween movies.

btw, i totally want to steal your idea of the creepy eyes in the bushes.

EDIT: um...why upside down? i'll try to fix it.

EDIT 2: fuck it. no idea why it's upside down. doesn't matter how it's saved on my comp so idk.
  • got it working :)

DSC_0071_zps6ed05b49.jpg
  • For some reason, I think the following will have a sad ending at some point:

Wasco Clown: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
  • trigs wrote: »
    got it working :)

DSC_0071_zps6ed05b49.jpg

Those are amazing!
  • found another pic of a pumpkin my gf made. this one is the leprechaun from those horror movies.

IMG_0617_zpsc8f211a1.jpg

this year she's in the middle of making two halloween "dolls" for decorations. she's making annabel from "the conjuring" (i haven't actually seen the new annabel movie so i'm not sure if it's the same doll or not). it's so creepy and she's not even done yet.

the other is "sam" from "trick r treat" (i strongly suggest watching this movie for halloween - it's pretty awesome). i put dolls in quotations because sam is practically life size and will require a frame so he can stand and be positioned.
  • annabel doll (from "the conjuring") is complete. not sure if we'll have time to get the sam doll done though :(

i'm just waiting for this thing to turn it's head and stare at me...

annabeldoll_zps40139747.jpg
  • Great job

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk