J9 sooooted on button

6 max table $1-$2 blinds. effective stacks are $300 for both hero and villain.

tight villain raises $8 UTG. folds to hero on button who calls with Js9s. blinds fold so heads up to flop of 8c7s6s. villain c-bets $15. hero raises $50 and villain calls.

turn is 2d and villain checks. hero? what do you do and why? bet or take the free card?

villain is tight and probably has a decent hand such as AQ+, TT+ perhaps. (i'm at work and can't run the numbers but i want to hear an explanation anyway.)

Comments

• trigs wrote: »
    tight villain raises $8 UTG. folds to hero on button who calls with Js9s. blinds fold so heads up to flop of 8c7s6s. villain c-bets $15. hero raises $50 and villain calls.
    What kind of hands you figure they raise pre and cbet?
  • What was your plan when you raised other than if he ships you call?
  • Startles wrote: »
    What kind of hands you figure they raise pre and cbet?

out of the range i put in OP, i'd imagine that they'd be c-betting almost all of them.
  • You think villain folds 99 and AJ preflop?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    What was your plan when you raised other than if he ships you call?

(i should have stipulated that i am not in this hand.)

if he ships flop i'm calling. blank on turn doesn't change much but i do feel better getting it all in on the flop with more chances to hit my outs.

as played, i'm assuming that hero has to bet the turn as well as checking behind can lead to a tough decision if the river is a brick and villain leads out.
  • Startles wrote: »
    You think villain folds 99 and AJ preflop?

he's been playing tight. he may have 99 in his range. i'm assuming he's folding AJ UTG.
  • I doubt many players fold AJ UTG at a 6max table.

This hand really depends on factors outside of the hand in question. Mainly, the UTG player's tendencies post flop and the overall softness of the table:

Saying that someone has a tight preflop range often times means that once they get an overpair they can never fold...other times it just means they are weak and can get blown off of hands with large bets. Have they been stacked recently, etc? What is their mindset as to the value and importance of their chips? Is this a spot that you want to commit to on the turn if the table is otherwise super soft?

Depends:) Most live players that are tight openers in EP do not fold big preflop hands even on scary boards (that is how you stack them). So I would take a free card and fold river if needed. Online, I have no idea these days.
  • ^^ Yes what Gutaw said.

Its difficult to have a read on a player that they can be so tight utg 6 max, unless its something specific like a bet size.

I suspect rather your base utg ranges are too tight for yourself, maybe...
  • no doubt my range could be off. AT+ 88+ better? i forgot to run the numbers at home last night and for some reason propokertools website doesn't work at my work.

thanks for the comments none the less.