What is the correct play here?

With no other information, what is the 'universaly accepted correct play' here. Call, raise, fold?

BTN: 23.21 BB (VPIP: 19.35, PFR: 12.90, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
SB: 11.9 BB (VPIP: 40.63, PFR: 22.58, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
Hero (BB): 17.63 BB
UTG: 13.17 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 9.68, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 32)
UTG+1: 8.67 BB (VPIP: 18.75, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
MP: 9.27 BB (VPIP: 18.75, PFR: 17.24, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
CO: 6.15 BB (VPIP: 9.38, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Js Jc
fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, fold, Hero ???

Comments

• Ercules wrote: »
    what is the 'universaly accepted correct play' here.

Ercules wrote: »
    Hero has Js Jc

Heh.
  • but on a serious note, you are obviously looking to get it in here and you can do that two ways - one is to shove pre and hope to get called, the other is to call to induce a cbet and then check shove a non-paint flop.

Button range against the blinds could literally be any two cards, so I think I would resist my urge to shove it pre and instead try to get it in on the flop, but that's far from "universally accepted." Add to that there are other factors such as payouts, players remaining, etc that you haven't listed.

So my official answer is still "Heh."
  • since most people have a wide range from the button, i think a 3 bet is effective with jj vs a button range
  • Nash Equilibrium WTF is that??? I will Google that
    With no other information, what is the 'universaly accepted correct play' here.
    BlondeFish wrote: »
    the Nash Equilibrium play
    In the deep dark expanse, this is what's known as a "boom pickles"
    Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Js Jc ???

There are several ways a decent player can play pocket Jacks . . .

all of them are incorrect.
  • It's what I will unleash when we go to your tournaments! ;)
    chaimr1924 wrote: »
    Nash Equilibrium WTF is that???
  • chaimr1924 wrote: »
    Nash Equilibrium WTF is that??? I will Google that

BlondeFish wrote: »
    It's what I will unleash when we go to your tournaments! ;)

Not exactly sticking to strict Nash theorems myself but never the less, the Rock principles, if applied correctly, work equally well..
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I googled it and it is all Greek and confusing for me.I just like playig poker old school and have some fun.I am not trying to make livung from it.I dont think Doyle knows that system either.I will check today if their is a tournament tomorrow and let you know.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I can hardly wait for our winning $9000
  • compuease wrote: »
    Not exactly sticking to strict Nash theorems myself but never the less, the Rock principles, if applied correctly, work equally well..
    Is thay similar to Rock n Roll??
  • Nash equilibrium is like the ultimate baseline, we might choose to use it vs complete unknowns or vs the most elite type players. It's inherently "unexploitable" which makes it a great place to start, and a great place to end the strategy race (I know that you know that I know that you know etc.).

It is also a great place to start considering your adjustments from, like the fulcrum on a scale.

As for the OP, this is a question I see a lot but it usually has the bb 3betting and facing a 4bet. We generally say we should have a plan when we 3 bet yet it doesn't help us know what that plan should be. I've come to the belief players, especially cash, should have preflop worked out to 4betting for up 100bbs poker before they really start to take the game seriously (or invest a lot of money).

The 3bet/4bet game is really a matter of thinking about what amount of bluffs we should add to our range and what kinds of hands we should use for bluffs.

We then just need to consider our villains possible 4bet responses which generally should mostly include folding, flatting, 4betting to x amount, and 4betting all in (which is really just x = allin or '4 betting to 'allin')

Generally people get uneasy in this spot because they aren't thinking about how to use the bluffing aspect of their range and so they tend to not take note on how villains respond to 3bets.

If we have been, or are known to, or are planning on adding bluffs to our range then 3betting JJ and getting it in preflop bb vs button is quite standard. If villain was super tight pre we might consider flatting JJ but we cannot assume people are tight on the button. If villain was super tight with 4betting and never flatted 3bets then we also might consider flatting JJ, and 3betting with offsuit blocker type hands.

Here we might have "some" form of a read that villain is weaker and might flat a lot of 3bets, and if that is the case we should generally 3bet the top of our range decently wide (maybe most suited BW, many suited aces, pairs, some BW). The only downside being if villain 4bets and specifically 4bets wide we are forced to fold decent hands we "could" have flatted and seen a flop with. But its a risk we should likely take against randoms since in general, in these spots, they will be inclined to flat speculative hands.

Don't be afraid to play postflop (and in general just cbet always). If villain flats your 3bet with KJo, and the flop comes KKJ and you lose your stack you know in the long run you win.

So in this spot I'm thinking regardless of what nash equilibrium would be (poker isn't fully solved int his way anyways), we should 3bet JJ and get it in, and consider 3betting hands like TT and 99 and even fold them to a 4bet and not worry about tossing good hands until we have better reads.

Anytime we feel villains 4bet range is so tight that we are worried about hands like JJ, we might also consider how often villain must be folding or flatting medium hands and air. And so we should be attacking that aspect of their straight with "bluffs" and hands that play well post if they flat "non-nutted" hands often to 3bets..
  • Startles wrote: »

Don't be afraid to play postflop (and in general just cbet always). If villain flats your 3bet with KJo, and the flop comes KKJ and you lose your stack you know in the long run you win.

QUOTE]

Basically, this is what happened. I 3 bet, he flat called, the flop came 8 8 5. I bet, he came over the top and I was committed. He of course had 8 5. I just wanted to get a feel that technically it was the right play and just got unlucky.
    Startles wrote: »

Basically, this is what happened. I 3 bet, he flat called, the flop came 8 8 5. I bet, he came over the top and I was committed. He of course had 8 5. I just wanted to get a feel that technically it was the right play and just got unlucky.
    a good example then...so what can we deduce then? How might we exploit this behavior now that we've seen them sd 85 in this way and what would our strategy be in respect to our ranges?