Why Most Pros Go Broke

Why most players who "throw everything away and go pro" go broke.

why-do-winning-poker-players-go-broke.jpg

For example, a friend who has gone pro MAY have the MTT skills and is fine with factors 2-5, but having a mortgage and other debt that has to be paid monthly will be a HUGE challenge.
"If poker is your main source of income it’s a good idea to have a year of expenses saved up to feel secure."

Comments

• that's article is a list for 20 somethings that don't have the maturity to handle large sums of money

Being "pro" is so much more than just being good at cards.

I look at my friends that are good pro's, and they are the ones that are always grinding, take scheduled days off, plan travel accordingly, are smart with money, and treat poker like a business.

Being "pro" and being broke, dont belong in the same sentence.
  • OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    that's article is a list for 20 somethings that don't have the maturity to handle large sums of money

Being "pro" is so much more than just being good at cards.

I look at my friends that are good pro's, and they are the ones that are always grinding, take scheduled days off, plan travel accordingly, are smart with money, and treat poker like a business.

Being "pro" and being broke, dont belong in the same sentence.

This, without a doubt, is the smartest thing you have ever said on here.. And I'm not being facetious..
  • the problem is most people don't have a safety net + savings.
    If you have a steady job, you should have at least 3 months of full expenses in a safety nest + your saving+rrsp

So for a poker player you should have your bankroll ,money paying your monthly expenses, 6 months of full expenses as a safety net , a Saving account where you save money for project X ....
  • project X. fun movie.
  • You mean I should stop saving up for one drop?
  • nonononono . . . But maybe throw a BAP out there for the next one, too. Gotta minimize your swings, right?

With respect to that article, why would you expect poker players to be any different than other "pros"? An overwhelming majority of professional athletes are broke within a decade of retirement, and their variance is nothing compared to a poker players.

It is all about self discipline and planning. Always has been.
  • Milo wrote: »
    It is all about self discipline and planning. Always has been.
    in life tho....

damn, wish I had some..
  • Get a decent education, a six figure job and play all the poker you want in your spare time....ez game!
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Why most players who "throw everything away and go pro" go broke.

why-do-winning-poker-players-go-broke.jpg

For example, a friend who has gone pro MAY have the MTT skills and is fine with factors 2-5, but having a mortgage and other debt that has to be paid monthly will be a HUGE challenge.
    "If poker is your main source of income it’s a good idea to have a year of expenses saved up to feel secure."

One year is not anywhere near enough.

For example:

If you play 50, 10K MTT's a year, you need enough $ to last until you die saved up. You may never bink another one.
  • I have actually put some thought into this, not to say 10k MTT's are good EV and such, but the smaller buy-ins depending on your skill level as in the side events at a big 10k event, if you say enter them all, FT 3 of them or more (yes it sounds like a lot but more amatuers probably not always) your ROI would be far higher than taking your chances at 50-10k events just based on more tournaments and how far you travel, so on and so forth based on where you live.

Just IMO
  • Many of the previous MTT winners like Dan Harrington concede that the they can't beat
    getem76 wrote: »
    I have actually put some thought into this, not to say 10k MTT's are good EV and such, but the smaller buy-ins depending on your skill level as in the side events at a big 10k event, if you say enter them all, FT 3 of them or more (yes it sounds like a lot but more amatuers probably not always) your ROI would be far higher than taking your chances at 50-10k events just based on more tournaments and how far you travel, so on and so forth based on where you live.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk