Ball Games in Cleveland & Pittsburg July 4-5

My wife and I are baseball fans and have always wanted to visit other stadium for ball games.

Outside of Toronto I have traveled to see the Expos and she has seen the Cubs. With the kids getting older we decided to book a trip on memorial day weekend to Cleveland for a July 4th game, then off to Pittsburg for a July 5th game.

Its a 5.5 hr drive to Cleveland the 2 hr to Pitt and 5.5 hr back home. It should be a great weekend.

Detroit was a consideration and may save it for next year.

Has anyone been to either of these stadiums and have suggestions of places to eat or things to must see or do.

Montreal is always a blast as well was her trip to Chicago. I will provide a TR when completed and I sober up.

Comments

• gl

I always enjoy visiting other stadiums. Haven't been to those however.

So far for me:
    Braves
    White Sox
    Brewers (old stadium)
    Red Sox
    Athletics
    Giants
  • Both GREAT ballparks. PNC is definitely my favourite park thus far, the view of the skyline in the OF is gorgeous. Walking across one of the bridges to the park is also a highlight...

As for food, Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh.

Btw..July 4/5 is Independence Day, Memorable was this past Monday.
  • Thanks for the feedback. A buddy just game back from PNC and said it is his favorite park with SF a close second.

If Primanti brothers is close to PNC I will try my best to check it out.

Btw Moose, what's your favorite park of those you listed?
  • Atlanta - the transit system is excellent, so easy to get to the stadium and out again after the game. For example they will have 20+ buses lined up waiting for the end of the game so they can shuttle you efficiently to the subway. TTC - not so much. Nice stadium

White Sox - best tailgaiting by far. Even the Sox website gives very clear and specific instructions about where to park, when the lots open, what to do with your used charcoal etc. Everyone going to the game is absolutely bombed before the gates even open. Great atmosphere, awesome food inside - but it would have to be to compete with the tailgaiters.

Brewers - had super friendly fans. As soon as they notice you are out of town, they come right up to you and ask you where you are from, how you got there, reccy's on the best food, beer etc. Would love to go back and try the new stadium. Brewers also had tailgaiting but IDK about the new park.

Red Sox - awesome atmosphere. Considering the cost of the tickets/beers/etc the fans are super chill, none of the 'where's my sushi', I don't arrive until the 3rd inning and leave by 6th, attitude you get from the spendy seats in TO. Great atmosphere outside the park before/post the game but no tailgaiting. Transit system is doable if you use google map transit but for some reason no Boston fans use it - even though traffic is terrible. I honestly have no idea how the fans get to the game. Afterwards we walked to the Subway, which is about 3 blocks/5 min away (closer than Union/Skydome) and there was literally about 10 fans waiting. Food inside is terrible - the Dome has better. Eat outside before game or after. Lots of vendors/restaurants outside the stadium.

Athletics - it is a disgusting pit. Nobody goes to the games even though they are perennially playoff bound. Tons of tickets to be had on stub hub. It is one of the last combo football/baseball stadiums so the seating arrangement sucks. Imagine going to a baseball game at old Exhibition stadium and add the piss troughs from old MLG. We drove and there were so few people there, even though we got the game 20 min late, we literally parked about a 60 sec walk from the front gate.

Giants - the new stadium is nice, though no tailgaiting and SF is so terrible for traffic, everyone takes the transit, so the lines are long and the trolleys/subways are super packed. The food is ok but nothing super special.
  • I concur with Moose's points about Chicago. I went to WS game vs the Jays in '05. Even though it was a Wednesday night, almost everybody in the stands was gacked. The beer vendors would carry a full tray down to Row 1 and need a refill by Row 3. Highly recommend.