Cannon Extraction - What is optimal re-raise?

Ok, I haven't posted a hand in decades so here it goes. I was playing at my favourite 2/5 'home game' on the weekend. The buy-in max is typically $1k but a player can rebuy for whatever they are down if they want.

Villain 1 is a really bad loose player who is down about $1.5k in about 1 hour of play. He will call any re-raise pre-flop with any two cards. He only has $280 behind. Villain 2 is a fairly tight aggressive player but he often tries to makes moves and typically has losing sessions (he has me covered).

Villain #1 has been raising probably 75% of the hands pre-flop $50+. He is first to act and makes it $40. It gets to Villain #2 and he re-raises to $280. His re-raise is basically to get heads up with V#1 as he knows he can have any two cards and he will likely call. I look down and have KK. I have about $800 behind and decide I want to get heads up with Villian #1 given the dead money in the pot. I don't think V#2 would bet $280 with AA given there are still players behind and he would want more action with this hand. So, I conclude that I must be ahead at this point.

I decide to push all-in and get heads up with V#1. V#1 calls (as expected), and V#2 folds.

Afterwards I realized that pushing may not have been the optimal play given V#2 likely had a decent starting hand (maybe big pair or AK/AQ). What would have been your play in this situation, trying to extract more money out of V#2? A call may have been alright as this player would typically come out betting on the flop anyways. Athough, I only have $520 behind with just a call so I may want to just get it all in the middle now.

After the hand, V#2 admitted he had pocket 10s and the flop came 9 high.

Comments

• ya. call or min raise would have looked very suspicious but in this case would have worked I guess.

or you could just be happy with the 280 in dead money
  • Fuck you.

Mark
  • That is honestly my first response..

Following that? Tell me any god damned poker strategy fucking thread / theory / masturbatory dream that is a better case scenario?

Mark
  • You know you are a big favourite against V1 and that he will call his remaining $240, after your shove, V2 has to put in another $520 to win $1080, getting more than 2:1, you should figure he's calling you as he will not be a 2:1 dog to most hands.
    Your shove was the correct way to get max value, V2 incorrectly folded, imo.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    That is honestly my first response..

Following that? Tell me any god damned poker strategy fucking thread / theory / masturbatory dream that is a better case scenario?

Mark

So you agree with the shove approach? Maybe playing too much lately at Woodbine has created an internal 45 second clock and I should have given the shove a little more thought.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    So you agree with the shove approach? Maybe playing too much lately at Woodbine has created an internal 45 second clock and I should have given the shove a little more thought.

Shoving is correct. You're skirting the line of FPS (fancy play syndrome).

Mark
  • I really misplayed this hand IMO. 5/5 club game and I do my usual limping in EP with the black devils. A couple callers and really aggressive player on the button makes it $50. He has been constantly reraising on his button every rOtation. Its folded to me and I reraise to $250 (wtf), with about $400 behind. He ponders and looks like he might shove. He eventually folds and I miss a chance to likely double up. Same night, another guy raises to $40 and I reraise to $120 with the red devils. He insta shoves his remaining $400 w AK. Better sizing with the second hand.
  • If
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    black devils

Are 78 soooooted.....and
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    red devils.
    are 87 soooooted......well played