Deep Live 2/5/10 PLO Hand WWYD?

The game was especially deep and super soft last night...probably 4-5 deep players that I've never played PLO with and they were not good...the deep players in this hand were (except the short stack) competent but have a few big holes in their games)

Here is the hand...I'm too lazy at the moment to do the entire math...results will be posted in a few days.

2/5 PLO with $10 button straddle.

The players of relevance:

GTA (that's me!...hi there) -- $1700 (in for 2k but that's not very relevant) in SB or BB can't recall.
Tight reg player that makes some bad plays in big spots to my left -- $1300ish
UTG +2 terrible reg player who loses lots -- $300-400.
MP super lag player that I had not played with for a while and I forgot he was so aggro in PLO -- $10,000

I call the straddle with QQxxhh (don't recall the other cards but they were not good.

It gets back to me at $30 or so and I call...4-5 to flop.

Flop: QJ8hh...I bet out 70ish (I rarely bet pot for many reasons and a 1/2 pot bet does not mean I'm weak) into 120-150.

LEFT (1300) raises (I cannot recall amounts only the stack sizes really matter here)
UTG +2 (300-400) calls
AGGRO (10k) pots to 700? not really relevant
GTA (1700) tanks a bit which I rarely do...tough spot math wise 4 ways with only 1 stack effective to mine...as I am thinking LEFT shoves the rest, UTG +2 shoves the rest...no doubt aggro is shoving when back to him

My play? Your play? Reads? Ranges? E'splain?

Comments

• Easy fold for me . . . Top set is all you got, likely flush draw is probably better than yours, straight draws possible. Just too many ways you get beat without you hit your boat.
  • never folding top set against marks.. just get there imo

re pot, gii
  • It's ugly, but I'm hoping your against a small set and a few draws. You hold or fill up your getting shit tons back and if you re-pot and lose main it looks like you might be close to freerolling anyway against Argo 10k in side pot.

I hate folding best hand as you might get outdrawn, not sure if it's correct. Watched a similar board where hero did make straight but savy player floated to bluff draw. It was a tank situation but hero called after flush card hit and was good.

So what happened?
  • i probably fold here. T9 has you beat at the moment. suited Ah hands are probably not folding either. definitely possible that there is an AKTx hand out there or something similar with lots of outs. also, you lead out into 4-5 opponents and the tight player raises you with still more to act behind, not a good sign. furthermore, like you said, even if you pot it it's unlikely opponents are folding. i think the flop is too coordinated to go with top set even with the Q high flush draw. my biggest deterrent is the 4-5 guys in the pot i think. too many hands to beat with just top set.
  • OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    never folding top set against marks.. just get there imo

re pot, gii

If it was stars you know the flush is coming. Live his set might win, or he makes the fullhouse. If it is truly as soft as you say isn't best to get it in with what you think is the best hand?
  • I think with the LaG seemingly in this hand for stackzzzz....get it in.

LAG's range is AXhh at min, and possible straight draw / flush draw combos, and the best case scenario a set.

1300 stack likely has straight and likely flush draw....shorty could have anything.

I think you're sufficiently ahead of LAG to make the side pot worth a gamboool here.
  • without a read I'm folding in that spot. but you said this:
    Tight reg player that makes some bad plays in big spots to my left -- $1300ish

so if you think this is one of his moves then you can add a lot more hands to his range and as a result must get it in. aggro is nothing to worry about, for the same reason. both of those players sound prone to thinking they can steal on that board.

so what happened?
  • Ima nit and I wanna get it in here against all 3 stacks.
  • Something else you said in the OP would make me want to fold in this spot. You have a HUGE edge against the players at the table, why gamble for stacks against that many opponents when you don't need to, you will still take their money eventually.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    without a read I'm folding in that spot. but you said this:

so if you think this is one of his moves then you can add a lot more hands to his range and as a result must get it in. aggro is nothing to worry about, for the same reason. both of those players sound prone to thinking they can steal on that board.

so what happened?

you're 2 days short of a few
  • I would fold. Somebody probably has T9 straight or A/K-high flush draw, which both have higher all-in equity than your top set. I estimate that I have < 20% equity four-way, so I save my $1,600 for a +EV spot.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I would fold. Somebody probably has T9 straight or A/K-high flush draw, which both have higher all-in equity than your top set. I estimate that I have < 20% equity four-way, so I save my $1,600 for a +EV spot.

Q72rb boards don't come around with 4 way all ins too often, decisions like this in PLO are often.....if you keep folding consistently waiting for better spots, you are -ev in PLO.
  • I will guess your up against a straight, wrap and a nut flush draw, I get it in. As T8 mentioned you don't get4 way action like this. Looking forward to the results.
  • I'm not an expert PLO player, I'm trying to learn preflop PLO.

Is QQxxhh a good hand to limp and then call a raise?

Or are you just making a preflop mistake because you play better post flop with droolers.
  • I'm not an expert PLO player, I'm trying to learn preflop PLO.

Is QQxxhh a good hands to limp and then call a raise?

Or are you just making a preflop mistake because you play better post flop with droolers.

It's not a great hand and I honestly cannot recall what the xx were...but I know they didn't matter on this board so they could not have been very good. There were some TERRIBLE players (not the deep ones that are significant in this hand) at the table so I am playing a wider range. Plus, the raise size is very small for this game so it is not a big call preflop.
  • Spit it out you fuckin tease
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    It's not a great hand and I honestly cannot recall what the xx were...but I know they didn't matter on this board so they could not have been very good. There were some TERRIBLE players (not the deep ones that are significant in this hand) at the table so I am playing a wider range. Plus, the raise size is very small for this game so it is not a big call preflop.

Want to add this and see if you agree...in hold'em raising pre-flop is usually for the purpose to limit the players in a hand, steal blinds, hopefully get heads up...in PLO it seems more to build a pot as players pretty much plan to make a hand every time..reason why suited wraps work so well and almost only hands I raise.

You still want to isolate with AA of you can, but it's almost face up most of the time since so many players only raise the big pairs...all this to say I think it's pointless to raise queens most of the time since basically they are nice to set mine with, but the raise will make it easier for other players to read the board and fold big top two pair type hands. Any j+ they can easily assume set because of raise

Clearly if your balanced in your opening hand (whatever the kids call it these days) it's less, but a soft opponent doesn't remember 5 minutes ago anyway...

Put another way, unless it qqAx suited or qq10j or some other coordinated hand, without a dangler it's going in the muck a ton after the flop. IMO You want to set mine with qq but saving some money and concealing high pair by limp calling is best play. Thinking like Fixed Limit.
  • Bump to see if we ever get to read how this played out? GTA can be such a tease
  • Hard to fold top set drawing to boat with four other players in the hand (even if they don't have you fully covered), assuming big stack has straight already. Most players wouldn't fold, even if heads up in this situation.

I'm not worried about a bigger flush draw (I hope this is the case). I get my money in the middle faster than BF can say fold.
  • I folded.

I think that >90% of the time my flush draw is dead and that at least 2 of my pair outs are dead. This leaves me at around 33% getting almost exactly 2:1 on my money. For me, there are better spots to get $1700 in during cash sessions.

As it turned out, my hand was in the best case scenario. Both big stacks had the straight with no hearts in their hands and the short stack had 3hi hearts. I think maybe 1-2 of my pair outs were dead. This put me at over 60% to win the hand. This was the absolute best case scenario for my hand and probably would only occur around 5% of the time in this spot.

Board came running hearts that did not pair the board. Having done the math during the hand I liked my fold based on the most likely scenarios. Huge stack binks his only redraw to the K hi straight and gets the side pot.

1-2 orbits later I doubled through the huge stack with QT97ccdd on the button in a pot rasied to 60 preflop and 5 players to the flop of 5x8d2d. Checked around and the turn of 5x8d2d6d gave me the nuts with a straight flush redraw. Checked to me and I bet 225, SB calls, huge stack goes 1200, I shove my 1700 behind, sb folds and huge stack calls. Brick ace on the river, and to my surprise I scoop the pot...he said he had a set with K hi diamonds.

Better spot.
  • Well that was a fun little game. Keep em coming
  • did the fact that u block the heart outs even cross your mind?

awful fold.
    did the fact that u block the heart outs even cross your mind?

awful fold.

Odd way to think of a hand when you are not the made hand. Great analysis though.
    Odd way to think of a hand when you are not the made hand. Great analysis though.

...but...i has 2 heartz...
  • 1390816108519.png

u have top set in a multi way pot, and fold? lol

u brag about playing trash in NL and stacking people, and when you get in a high equity scenario in a multi way pot and can scoop a biggun, you fold?

lol nice theory, i suggest not playing online.
  • Great fold. I agree 100% with GTA's analysis.
    1390816108519.png

u have top set in a multi way pot, and fold? lol

u brag about playing trash in NL and stacking people, and when you get in a high equity scenario in a multi way pot and can scoop a biggun, you fold?

how is this high equity? cuz lots of shiny chips in pot?

u can math?

I'm getting 2:1 with likely 2:1 to win...there are much better spots in cash games...and there is no stack size equity since the BI is uncapped
    Hi everyone.
    I received a poker set and a book for xmas, and I am looking to get into poker.
    OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    Where should I start to look WildBill7145?
    I have looked up the rules, but I don't really know much else unfortunately.
    Wow, how did a poker newbie a few months ago suddenly become the Phil Galfond of PLO??
    :bs:
    OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    :