keeping your emotions in check

this is one of my major problems. it's not because it causes me to tilt (usually that is due to my impatience). however, any time i put a lot of chips in the middle, i can't stop myself from feeling nervous. even if i have the absolute nuts, my heart still starts pounding and i will literally start to sweat a little.

it's usually worse in cash games compared to tournaments, possibly because when i buy into a tournament i kind of feel like that money is already gone and spent. whereas in cash games, the money can be reloaded constantly and never runs out (well, more or less).

it really bothers me because i can't stop my body from reacting this way even though my mind is thinking i'm stupid for doing it. anybody have any tips or suggestions to help me out? how do you guys keep calm at the tables?

Comments

• Play more

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Play more

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU

i don't play as much as i'd like to, that's for sure. stupid real life and responsibilities always getting in the way. at least i have the summers off and can play almost as much as i like. i was actually just looking at my old stats and i've only had one losing summer ever! (that i've tracked at least)
  • play drunk?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    play drunk?

actually, i have and it does help lol.
  • You can do so by lets say you go all in on the flop, don't look at the turn and river just look away or look at the other table your are playing in. You did your job of getting it ahead and every thing in your control is done its in the hand of the poker gods now.

Also when i get sucked out on i'm like "yes now i have less chances to be sucked out on next time or suck out myself next time!"
  • Be more dead inside?

More seriously though, do you find it happening at all stakes, or just as you move up and care more about the amount of money risked? Def used to get this when playing under-rolled, have you tried just winning and then being better rolled?
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    Be more dead inside?

More seriously though, do you find it happening at all stakes, or just as you move up and care more about the amount of money risked? Def used to get this when playing under-rolled, have you tried just winning and then being better rolled?

it happens at all levels but it is worse when i move up. however, i rarely play at levels that i'm under-rolled for as it does stress me a bit.
  • With all the live cash game hands I have played, I find that if I take a few months off from playing that I am not initially as comfortable at the table and I actually feel my heartrate and blood pressure increase in big pots -- whether I am bluffing or have a big hand. This quickly goes away with some playing time. I won a 4k+ pot last night and felt dead inside:) during the hand.
  • Beta blockers. consult your local golf professional.
  • pkrfce9 nailed it in post # 2!
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    pkrfce9 nailed it in post # 2!

GTA complimented that in post #4. Combination thereof wins. Although I personally am a very sad example of this.

Don't do what I do.
  • Pick up the Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler, covers off a lot of understanding with types of tilt and how to combat it...
  • I had the same thing for the longest time. My heart would start pumping like crazy in my chest. Any time I looked down at AA - QQ, even playing online, my heart would beat really hard. Playing more solved the problem. My heart rate still goes up in big hands, but not as bad as before and I can tell it's getting better. More live poker. I host 2 games a month now so I'm at least playing an MTT's every other week which is helping to calm my nerves.
  • As was stated play more.

Study how to meditate.

I have also heard a little bit of weed goes a long way to suppress the fight/flight and emotional reatcions at the poker table.
  • some good suggestions. thanks guys.
  • start playing a lot of heads up turbos. hands are fast and furious and you don't have time to get nervous.
  • I like the tissues that have the lotion built in...I guess that was too easy
  • It seems like the money is affecting you even when they are really just chips. But you say you don't feel that way in a tournament since the money is already spent. All you have to do is treat cash games the same as a tournament. Whatever you bring with you is spent already.

It takes time to develop where the money does not mean anything when you play. Often times this is due to playing with a short poker bankroll. Maybe set more money aside for poker where it's money you can lose without affecting your lifestyle.

The day you stop feeling nervous is when you can lose thousands at the poker table and go home feeling just fine.
  • Get involved in the abortion or atheism discussions . . . if that doesn't help teach you patience, nothing will. Best part is, it works no matter which side of the debate you're on.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Get involved in the abortion or atheism discussions . . . if that doesn't help teach you patience, nothing will. Best part is, it works no matter which side of the debate you're on.

i've actually been trying to kind of keep mouth shut for a bit lately. figured that people can only handle my craziness in small amounts ;)[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • i use a strategy of play drunk + dead inside, works well.
  • Picture your grandmother in her underwear.
  • moose wrote: »
    Picture your grandmother in her underwear.

NOBODY wants to picture your Grandmother in her underwear, moose.
  • moose wrote: »
    Picture your grandmother in her underwear.
    LOL!
    I get real nervous when I play especialy live, I may try this. :-\

I'll lets you guys know if it works.