First real live tournament

I'm going to play my first real live tournament this weekend, 65 buy in + 10$ addon so 32k chips, starts at 100/200 with 30 minutes blind.

Is there a good general strategy to adopt live vs online? From what I've been told there's usually 50ish player and you can rebuy once in the first 2 hours.

Thanks

Comments

• I select a nice lube for live tourneys

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • As tempting as it may be to play tricky, try to keep it to a minimum. Play reasonable hands, value town value town, and position position position. GL!!
  • I may have seen a couple books on live play out there ;)

Stay calm and cool and think. My wife laughs when I say live poker is an exercise in meditation but it is.
  • Thanks for the tips, I'm kinda nit by nature so I guess it'll help :P
  • I wise player once told me, remember, you are young male lion, king of the room. There are many lioness out there who will do a lot of the killing for you. In the end stand up and show why you are the KING AND TAKE WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS!

Good Luck
  • Busted out mid-tourney.

Early on I didn't get much card, first big hand was KK > A10 he only had 8k behind but still gave me a decent stack.

Got JJ twice in a row made money the first time and lost some on a AK high flop

A lot of hand later I got QQ mid-pos raised 3BB and was only called by one person, flop was all low cards so I bet and he simply called, turn was another low card, bet again and he again just called, river was a J, I bet and AGAIN he called, I showed my queens and he showed KK and took the pot it was a massive hit to my stack.

I had 7k or so left and the blinds we're at 2k so I went all in on the BB with 75o someone called with K9 and I won with a straight on the river (woah)
    Won a few small pots including the next BB where I called with 73 and the flop was 456 rainbow.

a few hands later I got QJo, pushed all-in another small stack called with 88 and another small stack called with A10o I had them both covered and was left with 600 chips (wee) but I spiked a queen on the river to "stay alive".

They closed the table and I moved to another one where one guy kept playing every hand, when I got there he just doubled up with 63o vs AK he then proceeded to give most of his stack away with 75o vs AK again, he pushed all in a few hands later for 20kish I called with 77 someone else called with AJs we checked to the river and the shorty managed to spike 2 pairs with K9o and stay alive.

I lost half my stack on the SB with Q9s where I hit 2 pairs but the board flushed on the river and folded, got AK the very next hand, pushed and was snap called by a guy holding KK and that was the end of my adventure !

All in all I regret some hands I played poorly and some where I just didn't get lucky but that's all right, I'll go back next time and with the jitters gone will probably manage to do better!

Phew, long read :)
  • There is an art to live play. Don't give up on it! Listen, Learn, and Adapt. In the mean time come play the storm tomorrow.

Prophet22
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    I select a nice lube for live tourneys

All the guy had was a straight . . . sheesh.