Hands I Played.

In every session I play I make at least 20 bad errors.

2/5($2200 deep)

folded to me($2200) in the HJ I have 8c8s, I raise to 15.
Button Calls 15.

Flop Ad8d3h

I bet 25, button quickly calls.

Turn 4h

I bet 80, button quickly calls.

River 5h

I bet 160, Button shoves all in for 710 more.

Comments

• I probably check/call river.
  • So the fucker had A2 i take it?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I probably check/call river.

If we check river and villain shoves whole stack, are we calling still?
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    So the fucker had A2 i take it?

Maybe 67d? Shoves stack? well without a real good read, I'm folding, tough one though..
  • trigs wrote: »
    If we check river and villain shoves whole stack, are we calling still?

Can't remember the last time I saw someone open shove 700 into a 250 or so pot.
  • Depends on the villain but I'm pretty okay with bet/folding the river against most opponents.
  • It's great you're able to be as self-analytical as Barry Greenstein. Some results-oriented players think they "played perfectly" after a winning session.
    In every session I play I make at least 20 bad errors.
  • So he overbet shoves the river for $700 on top of $400... is it a monster disguised as a bluff or a bluff disguised as a monster?

A2, 67d, AA: all fit the betting of the hand and have you crushed. AA is less likely as he would have had to slowplay pre flop but its certainly possible (have you seen him slow play in previous hands?)

KQd QJd J10d 910d 34d: I think these are the types of hands that certain people will get attached to and then blow up on the end as they drool over the $400 in the pot. Has he made a big move like this in the past?

AK AQ AJ A10 33: fit the betting up until the river, but the all in on the end doesn't make sense. But its live and stranger things can happen - has he over valued top pair type hands in the past? Is he the type of player that automatically assumes you have a flush draw when two diamonds hit the flop?

So if you add the three together, folding becomes easier if you think he's playing ABC, and calling becomes totally read dependent. 2.5 winning hands he could have, backed up by a large bet... versus X number of hands that you can put in his range based on your read.

I think the check/call like Wetts mentioned avoids such a tough spot and makes for a much easier call down. I'm not sure I would have thought of that though - I think I still love my hand when the river hits and then get confused when he shoves over the top. The way this one played out, I'd say around half the time I would invent a bunch of hands he could have (like in the list above) and pay the guy off when he shows me AA.
  • Villain says, "I'll show you if you fold face up"
  • Ooh forgot about all the aces suited in hearts. AhKh all the way down to Ah 2h are a real possibility as well. More and more lean towards fold!
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I saw someone open shove 700 into a 250 or so pot.

Likely fold given this. Probably has a 2 or hit runner, runner flush. Call, call, shove is never a good sign.
  • I show the villain my set.

And fold.

He show Ah Qh for the nuts.
  • Wow, nice fold! I would have called probably.
  • and the bad error here is?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    and the bad error here is?

I didn't think about my river bet sizing. I could have done the same job with less. Compare this post with the next one I posted about TT on the 987 flop.
  • those are not comparable hands. here you are trying to extract value from a strong ace I hope. but you had to reevaluate. the other hand is all about enticing a shove and there is no need to reevaluate even though enticing a shove was probably not the best play. it does make you look like a genius though. or a fish.
  • and yes you could have saved 20 or 40 bucks here but at the same time you would be giving up value most often so it is not a bad bet size IMO.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    and the bad error here is?

In a vacuum nothing, because villain showed the hand.

Check calling river costs us relatively the same (I'm guessing villain bets roughly the same amount here), and we get a showdown 100 percent of the time. We also bluff catch a good portion of the time.