Mass multi table poker is bad for your brain.

Dusty "Leatherass" Schimdt's blog.

Mass multi-table poker is bad for your brain.

This Is My Brain On Poker - Dusty 'leatherass' Schmidt Blog

Thoughts?

Comments

• Yep. My students say the exact same thing to me all the time - using your brain damages it.
  • I posted this Leatherass article before, and I agree with him. I couldn't figure out before why I sometimes became depressed for no reason despite being a winning VIP grinder.

What made it worse was the site with the terrible software did not have synchronized tournament breaks, so being a multi-table grinder is bad for your bladder too! By the end of a long grinding day, I felt that both my brain and bladder were going to explode like a Supernova.
  • Of course it is...it is the same as a data entry job
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Of course it is...it is the same as a data entry job

At least with a data entry job one makes minimum wage..
  • Data entry doesn't require any brains. I should know, :-[ since data entry was one of my early jobs. Carpal tunnel syndrome is the main problem for data entry. My brain never hurt, but my arms would hurt during the day.

Multi-tabling 8+ hours every day with no synchronized breaks is the toughest mental task I've ever done. Day trading when you have to make instant decisions that involves thousands of dollars has some similarities, but multi-tabling requires a LOT more decisions every minute. I had highly customized HUDs for different games, gigabytes of notes, colour coding, Windows calculator, ICM calculator, range calculator, charts, etc. Towards the end of each grinding session, I felt like I had CTS, bladder infection, depression, and my brain was going to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJjz0dUp3ew
    P.S. I'm not sure what the nurse or tests found out, but I've just been rejected for life insurance. :-\
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    Of course it is...it is the same as a data entry job
  • The Mark Hoke Show talks about the rampant depression and mental illness in the poker world - The Mark Hoke Show - 8/13/14 (Ryan Eriquezzo/Dr Tricia Cardner).
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    The Mark Hoke Show talks about the rampant depression and mental illness in the poker world - The Mark Hoke Show - 8/13/14 (Ryan Eriquezzo/Dr Tricia Cardner).

Andy Glazer comitted suicide?
  • Yes, along with Brandon King.
    http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poker/players/andy-glazer/
    Andy Glazer comitted suicide?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
  • I recently started multi-tabling again, and right away noticed changes,

Its almost like a depression where you withdraw mentally emtionally from engaging conversation with your wife etc...

I'd lay in bed and stair at the wall almost as if im in deep thought. about what?

very funny too see im not the only one noticing this change in pattern.
  • That can't be a positive thing for the rest of the family. How do they react to your emotional state when you're displaying these behaviours?

I don't multi table. Failing on one table's enough for me.
  • That's not good. What finally got rid of my online depression were going out in daylight to play live games, and Vitamin D supplement. My guess is that grinding too much poker changes your brain chemistry.
    lynx5 wrote: »
    I recently started multi-tabling again, and right away noticed changes,

Its almost like a depression where you withdraw mentally emtionally from engaging conversation with your wife etc...

I'd lay in bed and stair at the wall almost as if im in deep thought. about what?

very funny too see im not the only one noticing this change in pattern.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    That's not good. What finally got rid of my online depression were going out in daylight to play live games, and Vitamin D supplement. My guess is that grinding too much poker changes your brain chemistry.
    You must all read Poker Zen or is it The Zen Of poker and Golf.http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/Phillips_Zen_and_the_art_of_poker.pdf
  • Interesting article. I can see how multi table grinding can have a negative effect on a person. Not that I play to that level but I stopped playing for most of August and I have to say that I enjoy it more now after taking a break.