malaysia jet disappears with 200+ onboard

so strange that there was no distress call. no one saw anything on radar. no explosions seen. no wreckage from the plane (yet). doesn't anyone on the plane have a cell phone? not a single call/text either?

Malaysia Airlines jet search widens as stolen passports probed - World - CBC News

Comments

• Leprechauns
  • moose wrote: »
    Leprechauns

airplane gnomes.
  • moose wrote: »
    Leprechauns
    trigs wrote: »
    airplane gnomes.

Gremlins . . .

The longer this goes without a claim of responsibility, the less likely I think it is that this was a terrorist attack. The 777 had issues in the recent past, and there is some speculation that the aircraft simply "broke up" in the air. They think they have found a debris field today, so it will be interesting to see if they can find the "black boxes".
  • Tribbles...

not much weirder than the story already
  • Milo wrote: »
    Gremlins . . .

twilight-zone.jpg
  • Yeah . . . heard about these . . . would love to have a cellie where the battery holds a charge that long.
  • Most aircraft accidents are mysterious but this one seems to be a doozy. The NTSB is now involved so I sure they will figure it out eventually, although it may take a few years.
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »

wow that is messed up. with multiple phones working and ringing that definitely suggests that the plane didn't just explode or crash as i'm assuming the phones would not be in working order. at least not multiple ones.

so strange. i withdraw my airplane gnomes suggestion. i'm sticking to aliens or terrorists.
  • BB's are big in Malaysia so that would explain so many still working..>:D
  • just had another thought. if it really is terrorists, and they took everyone's cell phones so no one could make any calls, you would think that they'd destroy the phones just in case so no one could triangulate them (or whatever it is they do). at the very least you'd think they'd turn the phones off. so strange.
  • If the phone is ringing on your end and you can hear it, on the other receiving end it doesn't mean that their phone is functioning and ringing. They mention in the article. That article is just people hearing the ring and thinking it means something positive but being completely wrong.

"This does not mean the phone you are calling is ringing yet," wrote wireless analyst Jeff Kagan in an email to NBC News.

"The network is searching for the phone. First based on where it last was, then it expands. Then if the network can't find the phone, the call terminates."
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    If the phone is ringing on your end and you can hear it, on the other receiving end it doesn't mean that their phone is functioning and ringing. They mention in the article. That article is just people hearing the ring and thinking it means something positive but being completely wrong.

"This does not mean the phone you are calling is ringing yet," wrote wireless analyst Jeff Kagan in an email to NBC News.

"The network is searching for the phone. First based on where it last was, then it expands. Then if the network can't find the phone, the call terminates."

ah okay. that makes sense.
  • Would anybody be surprised that perhaps in the next couple of days a passenger jet filled with explosives crashes into a building, 9/11 all over again?

Then the spin will be that it was the Russians...
  • Foxrod wrote: »
    Would anybody be surprised that perhaps in the next couple of days a passenger jet filled with explosives crashes into a building, 9/11 all over again?

Then the spin will be that it was the Russians...

VH-35vufo.jpg
  • Well the latest item is that Boeing is supposedly stating that data downloads from the engines continued for 4 hours AFTER the jet "disappeared". These downloads occur every half hour that the engines are operating and go directly from the engine computers to Boeing.
  • This story is nuts, here is some more linked below.

Apparently someone tried to mask its location.

TBH, I really don't know what to believe. The obvious is that its at the bottom of the ocean but who knows.

https://www.inside.com/mh370/u2kc0/evidence-indicates-someone-on-malaysia-airlines-pl
  • Just saw this on twitter, confirmed hijack.

Global National ‏@GlobalNational 3m . #BREAKING: Missing Flight #MH370 - Investigators conclude missing Malaysia Airlines jet was hijacked http://ow.ly/uC3Cq
  • hotshott74 wrote: »
    confirmed hijack.
    I had thought they were all on an island having Sex on the Beach, but the hijacking theory seems far from confirmed besides one anonymous official.
    Milo wrote: »
    I like the first comment:
    "By the way, alien abductions or quantum tunnelling could also be the culprit here. Do I think that's what happened? No, but it's still consistent with all the evidence we have thus far."
  • apparently this happens more often that i thought. although, usually with much smaller planes.

All the aircraft that have mysteriously vanished since 1948
  • Don't think that is it a curious stat that DC-3's have the highest number of disappearances given that they have been around since 1936 and continue to fly today.
  • I am sure it has nothing to do with comp designing the original computers for those birds, either.

My first flight was in a DC-3 . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    I am sure it has nothing to do with comp designing the original computers for those birds, either.

My first flight was in a DC-3 . . .

Hell no, EVERY plane that has a computer in it that I designed is still flying today... Not one exception...