thoughts on a poker "shot clock"

currently, the WPT is discussing the inclusion of a 30 second shot clock for televised MTTs in order to keep the game running smoothly and to curb the issue of players tanking forever and just wasting time. the argument is that it is unnecessary for them to take up so much time, and it makes for boring television.

the WPT is also considering the use of "time buttons" which add an extra 60 seconds of time to think. it may also be possible that you can gain extra time buttons and accumulate them and use more than one at a time if need be.

so what do you guys think about this change?

the one issue i've read is that new players will be intimidated by the time limit and that will deter them from playing in the MTTs. i don't think i believe that will happen. just sit there and count out 30 seconds. it's a decent amount of time to make your decision. also, most new players probably don't have the knowledge anyway so it's not like they really "need" more than 30 seconds to contemplate their action anyway.

personally, i'm for the shot clock for televised MTTs.

Comments

• or they can just edit for TV.

I am against it as there is already a mechanism in place to deal with chronic abusers. Just call "CLOCK".
  • I am strongly against a 30 second shot clock... I would agree if it was 90-120 seconds though! 30 seconds goes by way to fast in important situations with a lot of money on the line.
  • I'll take 2

only for televised? lolz
  • Colin408 wrote: »
    I am strongly against a 30 second shot clock... I would agree if it was 90-120 seconds though! 30 seconds goes by way to fast in important situations with a lot of money on the line.

You can call an extra 60 second time if needed, could be "refreshed" every few levels so unless you're always involved in important hands you should always have 90 seconds available which is ALOT of time when you think about it.
  • Colin408 wrote: »
    I am strongly against a 30 second shot clock... I would agree if it was 90-120 seconds though! 30 seconds goes by way to fast in important situations with a lot of money on the line.

I really disagree.

30 seconds is really a long time and very few decisions should take more than this allotment.

There is a set amount of exceptions one can request during the course of a game, which can be used in significant situations.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I really disagree.

30 seconds is really a long time and very few decisions should take more than this allotment.

There is a set amount of exceptions one can request during the course of a game, which can be used in significant situations.

And that's why we have these discussions :p... Personally I rarely take over 15 seconds to make my decision, but I also know a few players that take 30-45 seconds on a regular basis.. Depends on the type of player I guess.
  • i'm going to say it again for those who think it isn't a long time. stop right now and count out a legitimate 30 seconds and think about the time passing by. i know none of you are going to do it (because 30 fucking seconds is pretty long and you aren't going to waste all that time just to attempt to understand my point!)

EDIT: would you change your mind and be okay if it was 45 seconds? 60 seconds? what is enough time? what is too much time?
  • I call clock on this discussion

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • Would be great for cash games...20 seconds max
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    I call clock on this discussion

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU

so, 60 more posts max?
  • 30 second "clock" for each decision, players get one 60 second extension per level, use it or lose it.
  • If you can't make a decision in 60 seconds.....
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Would be great for cash games...20 seconds max

that's called online poker; would like some players to make their decisions a little faster in a cash game. Especially when they are calling off their last $40 and your stack is > $1k.
  • I can't do a structured hand analysis in 30 seconds.
  • I can't do a structured hand analysis in 30 seconds.

There arent that many times in a tournament where you need to do a structured hand analysis.
  • I just shove my chips in, is that the same thing?
    I just shove my chips in, is that the same thing?

Depends on how you stack them.
    I just shove my chips in, is that the same thing?

lol, nothing about you is structured...