Comments

• Thoughts on Ukraine/Crimea?
    it's fucked up...
  • Buy gold
  • Oh thought you wanted vacation tips...
  • moose wrote: »
    Oh thought you wanted vacation tips...

make sure to bring:
    • guns
    • ammo
    • bullet proof vests
    • gas masks
    • molotov cocktails are optional
  • Is it any good for March Break?

;)
  • Trip Report should be . . . "interesting".
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Is it any good for March Break?

;)

Similar to cc
  • Why do I get the feeling that Movowelling and I have a better chance of crossing into the war zone than being allowed to spend money in Las Vegas?
  • What about red rock...I've never been inside but seems like more of a relaxing vacation spot?
  • Red Rock Canyon is one of the many optional excursions I'm considering (along with the Grand Canyon Skywalk) to escape the horrors of sleeping in the Circus Circus multi-milliion dollar resort.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    What about red rock...I've never been inside but seems like more of a relaxing vacation spot?
  • Valley of Fire is a great place to get outdoors...look it up
  • red rock canyon is awesome...
  • It takes a while for people to forget how bad a big war is, Usually that time period is about 100 years. 5 generations.

30 years war.. really bad.

Bunches of small wars for 100 years

Napoleonic Wars.

100 years

WW I and II

100 years

Another big war.

So we are getting due for another big war soon. As soon as the veterans pass away and it's been 5 generations so people "forget" how bad big total wars are.
  • The country is pretty closely split between pro-West and pro-Russian factions. They elected a openly pro-Russian Prime Minister in 2010 in elections that were scrutinized and deemed to be fair. When this democratically elected leader, Yanukovych, decided to ally his country more closely with Russia, as per the mandate given to him by the voters, the pro-West faction took up arms to try and overthrow the government.

Who is in the wrong? The pro-West people lost the election. They didn't like the result and used force to try and topple the government. Do they think they can just keep having elections until they get the government they want? Do they think it's ok to use violence to further their political agenda?

I think Yanukovych just did what any Western leader would do in the same situation. Especially since he was very clearly at risk of getting killed or at least thrown in prison. Just look at what happened at the G20, a relatively peaceful demonstration.

And you know what else? In 2011, Harper sold Yanukovych $80K worth of small bore weapons. It's probable that some of these weapons were used on the rioters.

What I see happening is the Crimea will go back to Russia, along with Eastern Ukraine. And West Ukraine will side with the West. What happens to get to that point I don't know, probably just a civil war, but maybe a more regional war.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    The country is pretty closely split between pro-West and pro-Russian factions. They elected a openly pro-Russian Prime Minister in 2010 in elections that were scrutinized and deemed to be fair. When this democratically elected leader, Yanukovych, decided to ally his country more closely with Russia, as per the mandate given to him by the voters, the pro-West faction took up arms to try and overthrow the government.

Who is in the wrong? The pro-West people lost the election. They didn't like the result and used force to try and topple the government. Do they think they can just keep having elections until they get the government they want? Do they think it's ok to use violence to further their political agenda?

I think Yanukovych just did what any Western leader would do in the same situation. Especially since he was very clearly at risk of getting killed or at least thrown in prison. Just look at what happened at the G20, a relatively peaceful demonstration.

And you know what else? In 2011, Harper sold Yanukovych $80K worth of small bore weapons. It's probable that some of these weapons were used on the rioters.

What I see happening is the Crimea will go back to Russia, along with Eastern Ukraine. And West Ukraine will side with the West. What happens to get to that point I don't know, probably just a civil war, but maybe a more regional war.

I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

He was the one throwing people in jail including the former president.

20 questions: What's behind Ukraine's political crisis? - CNN.com
  • Yeah, maybe a little.

Hey, nice link. Seems that, like Harper, Yanukovych passed an anti-protest law that banned the wearing of helmets and masks during demonstrations. When the people rioted he repealed the law. Interesting.

Ukraine crisis deepens: commentary and analysis on Russia in Crimea | World news | theguardian.com
  • Any mention in that link of Russia subsidizing the cost of oil/gas in Ukraine? That debt is part of the mix in this mess, as well.
  • i'm sticking to my first post in this thread. this "war" is so complicated and i honestly do not know who is necessarily "right" or "wrong". although, i'm assuming putin is being a dick in some way obviously.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i'm sticking to my first post in this thread. this "war" is so complicated and i honestly do not know who is necessarily "right" or "wrong". although, i'm assuming putin is being a dick in some way obviously.

no more "dickish" than some of the folks on this side of the fence either.. It's all about $$$, never about the "common" folk...