Fair way to divide season tickets

I just picked up a pair of Raptors season tickets and am considering splitting them with a buddy of mine. I think there's a few people here with season tickets to different teams. What have people found as a fair way to divide up the games? There's also the issues of freebies that they give out per pair throughout the season. I'm not sure what to do with those either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Draft?

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • I would agree with the draft idea. And an agreement that you both remain open to trades during the season if unexpected things arise. Assuming the trade works for both parties of course.

Remember to discuss playoffs as well. Nothing worse than getting to the playoffs and not being able to agree on how to split the tickets (or even whether you are buying them at all...they are not cheap!)
  • I would agree with everything Mike said. When I had season seats, I calculated the cost of an individual game ticket for by taking the total cost of the season and dividing it by the number of regular season games. That still means the tickets would cost less than what they would be if someone wanted to buy a single ticket. Then I gave away the preseason games to anyone who wanted them from those who shared tickets. Preseason games in general are awful to watch, and are not worth anywhere close to the face value of the ticket.

My situation was a bit different though since I took half the tickets myself, and had 4 people who bought 5 tickets each. When we did the draft, I had every other pick. If you are not dividing the tickets equally, you should weight the draft so that you get a fair number of picks each round based on the percentage of the season you have bought.

Do think carefully about the playoffs too. To guarantee you get any playoff tickets they probably expect you to buy the full package (4 rounds). This works out to close to the cost of a whole season, since the playoff ticket prices go up for each round.
  • I overthought it by thinking that we needed to divide up the tickets by price point (each ticket has a different face value based on the opponent they're playing) and doing a draft for each group of tickets so that the actual value of the tickets we each had were approximately the same. I agree that just a simple draft is probably the best idea.

Playoffs, we're guaranteed up to 6 tickets per game so I'm assuming we'd each take a pair and then take turns with the extra pair.
  • HU for tickets.
  • I have split Sabres tickets with a buddy for the last 7 years. Simple draft one year I go first next year he goes first. We have one extra game that we just go to together.