ROI in MTTs

While playing at Fallsview WPT satellite, there was a middle age decent player talking about ROI at my table. He was saying that very good players make a ROI of 100% in MTTs. I told him this is not possible because this technically means they double their money in every MTT they play. Good players usually have around 20% ROI. He said: No, What i mean is that in the long run if they invest 300$ playing tournaments in the long run its 600$. It didn't make sense for me and i thought that was wrong, but i just said okay because i wasn't 100% sure.

May someone give me the right definition of ROI and a simple example?

Thank you.

Comments

• he is an idiot.

total profits/total buy ins

mine is 0
  • and don't talk to idiots at the table. unless you are Jah and having fun
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    and don't talk to idiots at the table. unless you are Jah and having fun

Don't agree, reinforce their misbeliefs and profit! re ROI, is it possible to be -? If so that's me..
  • so if someone played 10 $1 tournaments and cashed for $20 total (profited $10). so 10/10 *100% so this player has 100% ROI? Damn i feel smart hehe

Does it matter how many tournaments is played or only the $buy-in?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Don't agree, reinforce their misbeliefs and profit! re ROI, is it possible to be -? If so that's me..

I think it is possible, now if you played 10 1$ tournaments and cashed for 5$ (loss of -$5). -5/10*100% your roi is -50%.
  • Yes you should track by buy in. I expect roi at 1 is different than roi at 2500.

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • And I hope your sample sizes and variance are quite different too

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    I think it is possible, now if you played 10 1$ tournaments and cashed for 5$ (loss of -$5). -5/10*100% your roi is -50%.

Not sure I'm clear on it either.

Is ROI profit/buyins expressed as a % OR is it Winnings-Buyins/buyins? One way means you can't go negative whereas the 2nd way means you can go negative.

eg supposed I have total buyins of $1000. and winnings of $800. (therefore 0 profit) my ROI is also 0 calculated the 1st way or 800-1000/1000 or -20% the 2nd way.

If I had the same buyins and winnings of $1200. then my ROI is (1200-1000)/1000 an ROI of +20% either way

At least this is my understanding.
    Is ROI profit/buyins expressed as a % OR is it Winnings-Buyins/buyins?

trick question... both forumlas are the same!

profit = winnings-buyins

therefore profit/buyins = winnings-buyins/buyins
    compuease wrote: »
    One way means you can't go negative whereas the 2nd way means you can go negative.

damn right you can go into the negative... this is poker!! The profit can go both ways so you have to include all losses in ROI, you cant just use 0.

buyins = 100
    winnings = 110
    profit = 10
    ROI = 10%

buyins = 100
    winnings = 95
    profit = -5
    ROI = -5%
  • semantics, semantics... Profit by definition is on the plus side. If it's on the negative side it's called loss..
  • yeah i meant to put "profit" in quotes. What I am trying to say is that yes you must account for both profit and loss. To answer your question though go with your second example!
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    yeah i meant to put "profit" in quotes. What I am trying to say is that yes you must account for both profit and loss. To answer your question though go with your second example!

lol, oh I agree we need to show a negative ROI if it is there... Just wondering why we never see anyone with a -neg ROI.. Selective formulae's perhaps?;)
    lol, oh I agree we need to show a negative ROI if it is there... Just wondering why we never see anyone with a -neg ROI.. Selective formulae's perhaps?;)

Have you seen my 2013 live poker spreadsheet? thats a big negative number!

2014 gonna make up for it tho.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Have you seen my 2013 live poker spreadsheet? thats a big negative number!

2014 gonna make up for it tho.

Was this the one that resulted in a ladies wear shopping trip? ;)

You are the one of the few people on here whom I trust to accurately reflect your results if you so chose to publish them... At some point I would love to have a chance to play at your table again.... Your poker style is something I can only aspire to...
    semantics, semantics... Profit by definition is on the plus side. If it's on the negative side it's called loss..
    i agree with the old guy, im old too, either im up or down..same with betting horses, i either leave the track a winner or a loser..............ROI, term prolly invented by some 30 something bean counter..lol..:)
  • While some will never understand, ROI, rake, EV and other calculations are very important in poker. The ROI formula I use is
    Return on investment (%) = (Net profit / Total buy-ins) × 100.

Only the buy-ins are put in the formula, but the number of tourneys or sample size is very important. Looking at my OPR, my ROI is -100% in Limit tourneys, i.e., I did not cash in only SIX Limit tourneys that I mistakenly played due to the bad software. My ROI in Omaha tourneys is +205%, since I cashed in 1 out 3 Omaha tourneys I played. For NLHE, my ROI is 99% with 24% ITM.
    sn1perb0y wrote: »
    so if someone played 10 $1 tournaments and cashed for $20 total (profited $10). so 10/10 *100% so this player has 100% ROI? Damn i feel smart hehe

Does it matter how many tournaments is played or only the $buy-in?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    While some will never understand, ROI, rake, EV and other calculations are very important in poker. The ROI formula I use is
    Return on investment (%) = (Net profit / Total buy-ins) × 100.

Only the buy-ins are put in the formula, but the number of tourneys or sample size is very important. Looking at my OPR, my ROI is -100% in Limit tourneys, i.e., I did not cash in only SIX Limit tourneys that I mistakenly played due to the bad bad software. My ROI in Omaha tourneys is +205%, since I cashed in 1 out 3 Omaha tourneys I played. For NLHE, my ROI is 99% with 24% ITM.
    what the heck does all that mean?

regards, Mathtard..???
  • marban wrote: »

regards, Mathtard..???

it's called a (not so) subtle brag >:D
  • yep, i get very confused when someone tries to communicate with me, using alphabet soup,

regards. i am the fish at the table:)
  • It means: don't bet on the horses unless you want negative ROI!
    marban wrote: »
    regards, Mathtard..???
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    It means: don't bet on the horses unless you want negative ROI!
    stick to poker advice:biggrin2:
  • Hey nothing wrong with betting horses if you enjoy it... Just don't try to call it an "investment" , as your Return On Investment will be negative in the long haul.

Its the same reason we don't see BAP threads for blackjack :)
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Hey nothing wrong with betting horses if you enjoy it... Just don't try to call it an "investment" , as your Return On Investment will be negative in the long haul.

Its the same reason we don't see BAP threads for blackjack :)

I'd like to see a rake calculation on the ponies
  • I had a look at my live ROI stats on MTT and satty's:

With buy-ins of <$200: My ROI over 145 tourneys in the last 3 years is 80%

With buy-ins of >$200: My ROI over 43 tourneys in the last 3 years is -35%

This is without what I would call any 'binks' at the bigger buy-ins.

The problem is, with one bink, your ROI can go from -35 to +50

Bottom line.....binks are needed
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    there was a middle age decent player talking about ROI at my table. He was saying that very good players make a ROI of 100% in MTTs.

May someone give me the right definition of ROI and a simple example?

Thank you.

Return on Investment...

For example the old guy was right if ...

Phil Ivy: $2,000,000 loss walking past a craps table to a $4,000,000 Poker win in a fully sponsored tournament.

100% ROI.
  • Return on Investment...

For example the old guy was right if ...

Russ Hamilton:Spends $1 on bus fare to go steal candy from babies and gets at $2 bullet in the head.
    100% ROI.