strange footprints in my backyard

i'm officially creeped out this morning. i looked out the window into the backyard and noticed some footprints that weren't there yesterday. the prints come through my gate, they circle along the back of the house, all along the side and back fence, around the shed, right up to my compost and then back out through the gate (which they left partially open). literally, it traces the whole perimeter of my backyard. the snow back there is probably two feet deep as well so the prints are extremely obvious.

also, there appears to be some other track with the footprints like the person was dragging something along with them.

so strange and now i'm worried someone was casing my house or something like that. i feel uncomfortable thinking that someone could have been in our backyard at night while we were sleeping. pretty sure there's nothing i can do about it though.

Comments

• bear traps?

doesn't sound much like casing your house though... A little too obvious...
    A drunk perhaps, any bars close to you? I would report it, just in case..
  • no bars or anything like that in the area, but still could be a drunk i guess. i'm in the suburbs pretty much.

i was considering reporting it but i wasn't sure if it was worth it (i.e. they'd just look at me and be like, so what?).
  • REPORT IT !!! All that will happen is that a "suspicious activity" entry will be made in the daily log at your local station. If nothing comes of it, no worries . . . but if something develops, it will give them a starting point. It costs NOTHING to be prudent.
  • sasquatch? One of the reasons I have two cameras in my backyard. Caught someone on tape a couple years ago stealing a hanging basket from my front yard. People will steal anything. Fcuking crack heads!
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    sasquatch? One of the reasons I have two cameras in my backyard. Caught someone on tape a couple years ago stealing a hanging basket from my front yard. People will steal anything. Fcuking crack heads!

yeah, we've talked about getting some cameras but haven't gotten around to it yet. this might motivate us to get on it though.
  • and ffs i just cannot figure out what the hell the guy was dragging with him. it's like this long trail in the snow along side his footprints. it's not there all the time though. i was thinking a baseball bat maybe where the end would graze the top of the snow as he held it at his side. idk. doesn't look like a stick could have done it.

the gf suggested that maybe the marks were from his tail :D. better call the x-files.
  • Get a dog, problems solved. Please don't get a purse type dog though. I shouldn't say that, I guess they have their place in life as well.
  • Get a dog, problems solved. Please don't get a purse type dog though. I shouldn't say that, I guess they have their place in life as well.

i have a dog, but he's a "purse type" dog lol. technically it's the gf's dog and he's like 12lbs and scared of everything.
  • Just told the wife your story, she said to check the compost bin to make sure the person didn't stash something in there.

Oh, well, yeah... Either way the little beast should be at the window making a racket to let you know someone's there. However, if you get one of these types of dog (see below) you could open the back door and enjoy the show.

DSCF3302_zpsa9beb616.jpg
  • You mentioned the tracks go to your compost bin, have you checked in there ? Could be someone using your compost for their trash / dead pet, etc...

Could explain the dragging marks.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    sasquatch? One of the reasons I have two cameras in my backyard. Caught someone on tape a couple years ago stealing a hanging basket from my front yard. People will steal anything. Fcuking crack heads!

So you hunted them down and got your plant back?
  • What about some motion lights at least?
  • the compost bin wasn't touched. still covered with a layer of snow. maybe i should check behind it though and maybe behind the shed as well now that you mention it. never consider the guy leaving stuff behind. i was more concerned about him taking shit.

there is a motion light, but never noticed it go on.
  • Check behind composter for B&E kit. Behind shrubbery, etc.
  • Check behind composter for B&E kit. Behind shrubbery, etc.

yes, i will do this. i also added a pad lock on the gate latch.
  • moose wrote: »
    So you hunted them down and got your plant back?

The video of some guy stealing it was worth a lot more than the $10 plant. Also had a Blue Jay Christmas decor stolen over the holidays from the front door. Great neighbors eh.
  • This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I live in a small town sometimes. I know people that bought a house 20 yrs ago and never got a key for the front door, don't use the lock. Don't worry about it.

I can't do that myself. I'd go insane.

However, times change.
  • Maybe it was a cop looking for a crackhead/suspect in your backyard/neighbourhood....the drag marks could be his batton. I would also report it...can't be too vigilant.
    This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I live in a small town sometimes.

This reminded me of a time I was doing some work for a friend at his home in Tavistock. My partner and I pulled up in our van and let ourselves into the house which was unlocked. It was a small job, and as we were getting ready to leave the house two policeman came through the front door. They asked us what we were doing, and we explained and made a call to the guy that owned the house. As we went out of the house, I swear half of Tavistock were in the neighbouring yards watching the whole affair. The cops had blocked the van in with their vehicles. I wanted to walk out with my hands over my head and then make a quick dash for it...it would have been great to see people's expression. Anyway, guess a watchful neighbour had made the call after seeing two guys pull up in a strange van and enter the house.

I live near the methadone clinic in Kitchener - that's a whole other story....