Bias in poker reporting

This has come up here at times, and is really hitting the fan over the dealer tips thefts by a poker reporter at Foxwoods.

Too much to retype: Jay "Whojedi" Newnum Caught Stealing from Foxwoods - Page 71 - Poker News - News, Views and Gossip

Let's start our own discussion. Poker reporting is very affiliate driven period. Twice I decided to do stories that may be considered "investigative journalism" expose pieces and both times it was stressful. The first had all the experience of a previous National Enquire editor to make sure I didn't hang myself in liable or deframation, yet I was still threatened with legal action and Cease and Desist. I had to wonder if doing my "duty" was going to affect my family. I tried not to be bias and cover all angles, but barely made it. The second time, I didn't want to gamble and mearly contributed by giving the research to a senior writer with a legal background. It was read by many, I received a small shout out away from the piece but still wound up pissing of a competitor to the company I was smearing that could have cost me a huge opportunity in an indirect connection I would never guess....

The point is that though people are quick to want the shock awe and will call the reporter bias, they really don't care if it goes sideways and he/she loses everything. In this situation the reporters have an even deeper personal attachment. I have to argue that though by the letter we want things to be unbiased, it's simply unfair given risk vs reward. This is not the mainstream.

Go....

Comments

• I haven't read a poker article in maybe 8 years... But first
  • It's fitting you should be the first to comment. When you taught me the word "shill" it really seemed that if the shoe fits...so I'm wearing it and it's the line I took in this debate. It's not that there is a lack of journalistic integrity in poker, it's a lack of journalists period. It's above our pay grade and really not how the industry works anyway.

Let's not forget either that ESPN and others ran like little bitches when Black Friday hit...

The only analogy I can think of for this situation is that your on the phone with a guy you know and he says, "x mutual friend of yours" just left the poker room after a few too many and the idiot is driving. He's breaking a serious law that can directly affect the other people you know.

Do you hang up and immediately call the cops (community) on him?

Unless you've been directly affected, it's a gross spot and I'm sure honestly, most would wish they never heard it and hope it went away on its own. In many cases the reporters eventually made the call, but not without some real thought about how to talk to the cops. And since the cops had recieved the tip already, where does their obligation end?

Do all the pros that champained to have him hired for a possible position at Stars now owe a retraction an explanation if they are patched? Does it fall in their duties?

Some did, others are choosing to stay out of it and they aren't wrong
  • As you have already found out from the usual sarcastic useless one-liner, you are in the wrong forum if you want an intelligent poker discussion. :(

Coles Notes: As JohnnieH may already know, most poker players are more likely to tip after a small cash game pot than after a much bigger tournament cash, ??? so it's pretty scummy of reporter Jay "Whojedi" Newnum to steal at least $700 from the tournament dealers - using chopsticks and tape! Many of his reporter colleagues auto-defended him or even attacked the two people who posted the truth, instead of them following up or publishing the credible story, resulting in a huge backlash from Allen Kessler, Mason Malmuth and many others in the poker community including me.

The best poker media site, Pokerfuse (one of the few independent sites that chronicled the horrible decline of bwin.party) did its investigative journalism duties, dug up the court evidence and published the facts.

Newnum has since been fired from his upcoming gigs, and has tweeted that he will "step away from the poker world indefinitely."

I agree with jontm that it's not easy to be a writer/reporter in the poker industry which is a slave to affiliate and advertising revenue. As anybody can tell, I love writing, but rather than continue writing for Canadian Poker Player magazine, I'm glad that I'm free to write whatever and whenever I want instead of having to self-censor about what the advertising and affiliate masters may not like.

Players need to keep in mind that these affiliate-driven sites should not be relied upon for unbiased and truthful reporting, which includes Bluff, Pokernews, Card Player, Canada Poker, etc. The following are some of my favourite sites as having the best chance of finding the poker "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth":

1) Pokerfuse
    2) Other affiliate-free, independent sites such as Quadjacks and Flushdraw.net
    3) Poker forum sites such as 2+2: there are a lot of trolling and useless posts just like here, but there are also a lot of very knowledgeable poker posters, whom you can rely upon to stand up against the bad guys of poker such as UB, AP, FTP, bwin.party, etc. while most of the poker media ignores the problems.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As you have already found out from the usual sarcastic useless one-liner, you are in the wrong forum if you want an intelligent poker discussion. :(

Coles Notes: As JohnnieH may already know, most poker players are more likely to tip after a small cash game pot than after a much bigger tournament cash, ??? so it's pretty scummy of reporter Jay "Whojedi" Newnum to steal at least $700 from the tournament dealers - using chopsticks and tape! Many of his reporter colleagues auto-defended him or even attacked the two people who posted the truth, instead of them following up or publishing the credible story, resulting in a huge backlash from Allen Kessler, Mason Malmuth and many others in the poker community including me.

The best poker media site, Pokerfuse (one of the few independent sites that chronicled the horrible decline of bwin.party) did its investigative journalism duties, dug up the court evidence and published the facts.

I agree with jontm that it's not easy to be a writer/reporter in the poker industry which is a slave to affiliate and advertising revenue. Players need to keep in mind that these affiliate-driven sites should not be relied upon for unbiased and truthful reporting, which includes Bluff, Pokernews, Card Player, Canada Poker, etc. The following are some of my favourite sites as having the best chance of finding the poker "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth":

1) Pokerfuse
    3) Poker forum sites such as 2+2: there are a lot of trolling and useless posts just like here, but there are also a lot of very knowledgeable poker posters, whom you can rely upon to stand up against the bad guys of poker such as UB, AP, FTP, bwin.party, etc. while most of the poker media ignores the problems.

I can't argue and thanks for support. Just know who does what and that you'll never find Fallsview results or took down the Deerfoot on Flushdraw either as it does nothing for their sites.

Back with more
  • So it's clear, I don't want do defend the guy stealing tips nor do I think his friends are in the right to. I want to defend some of their rights not to comment immediately as Kevmath didn't or chose not too at all. I ended up commenting only on this debacle after Kessler began publicly calling him out on Twitter and FB for taking a week.
  • jontm wrote: »
    Just know who does what and that you'll never find Fallsview results or took down the Deerfoot on Flushdraw either as it does nothing for their sites.
    Agreed, Canada Poker is great for Canadian poker news and results. But if players want to know about any problems with poker sites, such as players organizing sit-outs against PartyPoker, etc., then they will need to check out independent sites such as Pokerfuse. If I was in the poker media business, I would subscribe to Pokerfuse Pro, but I'm just a player.
  • Poker. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

lol i laughed at this thread post
  • jontm wrote: »
    I want to defend some of their rights not to comment immediately as Kevmath didn't or chose not too at all. I ended up commenting only on this debacle after Kessler began publicly calling him out on Twitter and FB for taking a week.
    It may be a sign of the apocalypse, but I agree with you again! :o Two wrongs don't make a right, and chainsaw and others should not have specifically called out Kevin Mathers or BJ Nemeth, two of the best in poker media. I've met them both and hope that they will be at WPT Fallsview. Speaking of which, jontm, are you going to WPT Fallsview where we can continue this two-way conversation?

Any reporter that was perceived to be defending Newnum or poker media, such as Earl Burton and Jennifer Newell, were flamed. I prefer giving props to the poker media sites who did a good job of reporting the facts.
    Second, there is now a bigger story here, and it's much bigger in my opinion. It's simply are the people who can be referred to as poker journalists doing their jobs well? Are they true friends of poker players? Do they look out for what's right and wrong in our industry? Do they try to make the poker environment a better place? And most important, is this what they're suppose to be doing?

I know that at least one writer responded that he's not an investigative reporter. But does this mean that these people should always distance themselves from any sort of negativity that occurs in poker? and should the bad news always come out on sites like 2+2 and be ignored by other entities in the poker media? Therefore, it's my opinion that this is the real issue, and having the type of discussion that appears above is certainly positive for our industry.
    Unfortunately, I think jontm and I will agree again that the answers to Mason's questions about the affiliate-driven poker media is not good news for players. :(
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As you have already found out from the usual sarcastic useless one-liner, you are in the wrong forum if you want an intelligent poker discussion. :(

Newnum has since been fired from his upcoming gigs, and has tweeted that he will "step away from the poker world indefinitely."

I agree with jontm that it's not easy to be a writer/reporter in the poker industry which is a slave to affiliate and advertising revenue. As anybody can tell, I love writing, but rather than continue writing for Canadian Poker Player magazine, I'm glad that I'm free to write whatever and whenever I want instead of having to self-censor about what the advertising and affiliate masters may not like.

Players need to keep in mind that these affiliate-driven sites should not be relied upon for unbiased and truthful reporting, which includes Bluff, Pokernews, Card Player, Canada Poker, etc. The following are some of my favourite sites as having the best chance of finding the poker "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth":

1) Pokerfuse

I don't think I've ever see you post a hand or a strat thread on here. However, your writing of rake and how to save 3 cents a litre on gas by driving 20 minutes out of your way is always riveting. Are you wearing a Party Poker windbreaker and a Borgata Poker Open hat while you write these gems?

Perhaps the worst things about your posts is that you have made be agree with PokerJah that you should enjoy life...even if just a smidge.

Edit: how could I forget your creepy stalking-like behaviour of average looking poker models and your passive aggressive comments always followed with an emoticon:)
  • I'll agree there as well. Sometimes the reporters are going to have to look after themselves. Are the players going to pay the bills of the affiliate driven site if they get fired or sued, for "so called looking after the players?"

By the same logic as wanting to expose every scandal, shouldn't every upcoming event or neat new poker idea be allowed a thread? They temp bared Negreanu cause he stood to profit of promotional material most players would have found interesting. Funny thing though, unbiased as 2+2 is they weren't cut in and up in flames the threads went.

In the forums there are strength in numbers where as an article is pretty clear on the source. Hell, posters aren't even using their real names. I used those examples of past expose type articles where players had been ripped off. When the threat of legal trouble arises, even the victims are shy to be involved, let alone help get the reporter out of a squeeze.

So who's turning their back on who? Nobody really, the freelancer picks his/her battles

In a big media operation, there are legal teams and if the editor in chief wants to roll the dice and take something head on, he's not firing his guy if there are repercussions. In this industry even the most recognized are considered freelancers...so each smear story must be weighed heavily.

In the case of Newnum, how are we protecting players now? He's been fired and outed, the network is so small there is zero chance that he'll fill a similar position again. The WPT, WSOP, Stars etc all know so other than smearing his face in it a bit more, will 30 sites instead of 20 protect anyone any better? Once it hit 2+2, it was game over for the jedi
  • As for Fallsview Blondefish, it would be nice but haven't recieved an invite. My opinions that I have posted on the forums about scalping, not releasing results one year and blaming Party involvement for the last minute retraction a few years back didn't go unnoticed by many. Perhaps a perfect example of why sometimes tackling the controversial issues sometimes does zero good but costs the messenger. Scalping didn't change, but people pulling strings knew I was running my mouth. This forum has great SEO btw.

Seriously though, no idea why I wasn't invited but I have a session booked for my sleeve on the 25th I'd be waiting months to rebook. Want it done by Vegas and 40 hours is a lot of ink to get through. Have 3 weeks a year and two spoken for already, the gap between day job and blogging is way too big so prob skip anyway, though would do my damnedest to try to make it work at least once.
  • One last thought for now, it's not always negative bias either. I try my damnedest to give all Canadian players attention when writing, but I recently shit the bed big time. Blondefish, you posted the link from CP on Mike taking over the EPT list, thanks for that. Really, I had blinders on and this final table was about him. I almost forgot Pascal, even though he runnered up the WPT Montreal, finished 10th in WSOP main and has bracelet. I totally missed the other TO guy that finished better in both my PCA shorts.

I was following via mobile as I hit gym, cooked super etc and didn't have the flags as a cheat. A long time ago I stopped looking up every players name at the final table, especially since at the PCA "Canadians" qualify online, become Americans at Atlantis but revert to Canadians come SCOOPs...plus I'm ready making squat if it doesn't hit me in the face or I don't auto recognize...unintentional bias
  • Jon..how often are you out at the poker rooms around here? Just for major tournaments? I never see you around... Of course there are several rooms and I'm just playing a couple times a week
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever see you post a hand or a strat thread on here.
    Sigh, who do you think posted about hands at Fallsview, Brantford, Rama, PartyPoker, etc, along with starting many strategy topics here such as ICM, Patience Factor, Skill Level, how to maximize EV and ROI??
    Perhaps the worst things about your posts is that you have made be agree with PokerJah that you should enjoy life...even if just a smidge.
    Instead of resorting to personal attacks yet again in this poker forum, what about if you just try to avoid trolling poker threads with useless one-liners? I actually understand and like your sarcasm, but without any poker content from you in a poker thread, you scare and discourage the members and lurkers from contributing to this poker forum. BTW, you need to use emoticons because a lot of people don't know when you're being sarcastic.

P.S. pokerJAH and I may kid around with each other on the forum, but we are friends IRL and both enjoy life to the fullest with our families.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Jon..how often are you out at the poker rooms around here? Just for major tournaments? I never see you around... Of course there are several rooms and I'm just playing a couple times a week

Not very often anymore. I do show up at some majors (to see friends or sweat Bren) played Deerfoot daily about month back (posted my bust out hand here) and played cash daily about a month before that. I have 2 tables at home so usually just have people over unless it's a series. Last home game the stacks were 500 deep so it's not like missing out at our level. I've said many times I've kinda lost interest due to my getting into the writing. I spent less time playing and really became aware of how wide the gap between rec and pro is. My wife plays more often in the big events and it's more her forte. I'm too money scared which of course is dead money and I know it. I've been focused on working out and even my writing is next to nil now.

Plus with this sleeve I'm putting $700-$1000 in a month so if I win great, but if I lose it be impossible to keep up with getting it done and budget for Summer Vegas. That's how my priorities lie right now.

I'm planning on popping in for Grey Eagle and might put her in one, but it's not high on my list. The DFIC we like is the multi day $300 as well maybe.
  • I'll be playing at least day 1b at Deerfoot... Hope to see you there
  • I am not sure that "bias" is the correct term to use. I imagine that the incestuous nature of poker reporting leads many to avoid "biting the hand that feeds them", but any rational reader will be aware of that caveat going into any article, no? I forget which TD it was that Greenstein quoted when he wrote "We are selling the idea that these are the best players in the world." Same thing with poker reportage, in most cases . . . they are selling the idea that the circuit is a glamorous pursuit, and that gaming, in general, is strictly about winning lots of $$$. It is not true, and only a fool would buy into the concept, but that is why PT Barnum made so much money
  • It says T8 is viewing vvvvv
    *braces for shit storm*
  • Milo wrote: »
    PT Barnum

founder of PT4?
    Journalistic integrity is based on the principles of truth, accuracy and factual knowledge.