Made a stupid check on the turn & paid him off...

Not a bad beat, I put my money in as a 0% favourite... My own fault for letting him catch up on the river. I suppose the money was going in either way, but I would have rather had it in as a favorite that dead on the river.

I don't check often there on the turn, but I thought I could convince him I was weak if I gambled against the 4th heart coming. After I show that weakness and he reraise-shoves me on the river I have to pay him off right?? ... anyone getting away from this 3 handed?

....bah... I may be just justifying my stupid call... I probably should have folded it.

discuss? (both the turn check and the river call?)

PokerStars Hand #109605043247: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25 USD) - 2014/01/04 19:30:28 ET
Table 'Zaragoza II' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 5: d0nkSTRIKER ($45.09 in chips)
Seat 6: FishWithCash ($72.14 in chips)
Seat 9: RedShark22 ($42.97 in chips)
RedShark22: posts small blind $0.10
d0nkSTRIKER: posts big blind $0.25
d0nkSTRIKER: posts the ante $0.05
FishWithCash: posts the ante $0.05
RedShark22: posts the ante $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to d0nkSTRIKER [Th 5h]
FishWithCash: raises $0.50 to $0.75
RedShark22: calls $0.65
d0nkSTRIKER: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [Qh 5d Ah]
RedShark22: checks
d0nkSTRIKER: bets $1.60
FishWithCash: folds
RedShark22: calls $1.60
*** TURN *** [Qh 5d Ah] [8h]
RedShark22: checks
d0nkSTRIKER: checks
*** RIVER *** [Qh 5d Ah 8h] [5c]
RedShark22: bets $4.75
d0nkSTRIKER: raises $8.95 to $13.70
RedShark22: raises $26.87 to $40.57 and is all-in
d0nkSTRIKER: calls $26.87
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RedShark22: shows [Qs 5s] (a full house, Fives full of Queens)
d0nkSTRIKER: shows COLOR="Red"]Th 5h[/COLOR (a flush, Ace high)

RedShark22 collected $85.74 from pot

Comments

• hard to discuss without any reads but wow. <20 bb going to the river and >160bb on the river? at this level it is either an aggrotard or something close to nuts.
  • So you explained what you were trying to rep, but bigger question is what range of hands were you putting HIM on? It seems like you put him on a hand like AxKh, which is much too narrow a range 3-handed.

With this being a very wet board, there really aren't that many safe cards on the river, and your hand can't really improve, so the turn check is just playing with fire. And you also lose the opportunity to extract information about the strength of his hand.

When the board pairs on the river and he bets out, you gotta re-think the range you put him on. What are you beating that he can call with? It's really only AQ and a smaller flush, everything else he folds to a re-raise, or has you beat. And once there's no 4th heart, he can't bet out with just an A - he likely just check-calls.

I think you got so focussed on your hand that you forgot that he has a hand also. Either that, or you've seen him play like a donk for an hour and the blind squirrel found a nut.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    I think you got so focussed on your hand that you forgot that he has a hand also. Either that, or you've seen him play like a donk for an hour and the blind squirrel found a nut.

I think that sums it up perfectly... I wish I could say this guy was pushing every flop and I had to snap him off... but no, he had pretty much just sat down and I got so caught up in trying to be fancy with my "big hand" that I forgot the golden rule: big river bets from unknown players usually mean what they mean.

So gross.. watching myself re-raise on the river makes me sicker than the calling down does. At the end of the day its just another lesson learned, toss another $40 into the poker education fund!

And no more 3 handed deep games!!!!!
  • [ ] ten high flush is thenuts, I try to call off my entire stack with it everytime against a river 3 bet
    [x] fold preflop
  • [ ] what's really great about 10 5 is that you can make every possible straight
    [x] except 9 high
    [x] none of them are the nuts, except Broadway.
  • [ ] make an equally snarky comment about moose and his nit-like behavior
    [x] thanks for the advice hellmuth
  • I would of folded to the raise pre flop.