donk misread... lesson learned

So who else has done something stupid like this??.... lesson in double checking your hole cards *before* putting the money in....

Woodbine 1-2NL, 7 Handed

MP player makes it $5 to go, 4 call including Maniac on the SB. This guy has been going nuts, and I am a bit surprised he didn't raise this hand - as he's been making it 25 pre flop every hand for 5-6 in a row.

Bfillmaff wakes up with a monster A-6 s00ted on the BB and calls the extra 3.

Flop 6 K 4 w/ 2 spades (not my suit)

Maniac makes it $5, Bfillmaff calls, others fold.

Turn 6

Maniac makes it $25

Amazing, I hit trips and he's betting into me! Bfillmaff decides to represent the flush draw, and make a big "bluff" on the river if the draw doesn't get there. Bfillmaff thinks he's a god damned genius as he calls $25.

River blank.

If everything went according to plan Maniac has to be thinking "This donk will bet his busted flush draw, I should check to him". Maniac checks.

Bfillmaff throws out a $50 river bet hoping to look like a bluff. Hopefully Maniac has a K, but he might call with any pair the way this hand played out.

Sure enough Maniac INSTA calls with A4 for a pair of 4's. My plan worked perfectly, I thought...

And then it happened:

Bfillmaff shows down A 9 ... not A 6 ...

oops....

Still feel gross from that. Lesson learned, double check your cards!

Anyone else have a misread story to make me feel like less of a retard?

Comments

• nope. I got nothing
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    nope. I got nothing
    Dick.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Anyone else have a misread story to make me feel like less of a retard?

My group of poker friends hold a trophy tournament twice a year. Winner gets their name immortalized on the trophy, the cash and all kinds of bragging rights. This format was partners. My partner and I have the chip lead heads up. I don't recall the exact specifics of the betting and flop cards but forumer djgolfcan shoves all in after flop and I couldn't get my chips in fast enough for the knockout and the trophy glory. Much to me and my partner's horror I turned over a rendonkulous K-6 offsuit with no pair and no draw.We lose the hand leaving us crippled and our opponents go on to take it down in quick order.

Losing like that is one thing but losing it for someone else like that is much worse. So ya, I learned my lesson about double checking hole cards before opening my yapper.
  • I've done this and worse things.

Multiple times.
  • Heh, good stuff... Thanks guys.
  • I hallucinated a couple of hands at full tilt montreal main event. I thought I had two pair J7 on a J7364 board. I kept calling the initial bettors bets until showdown and when I flipped over my cards I had K5 something totally different. The guy to my left asked me why I didnt raise on the river and I just sat there with my mouth wide open. I told him and the whole table what had happened and everyone started laughing. The guy to my right was talking about mdma the night before...I think he may have put something in my drink lol. Totally weird situation.
  • i've personally done the "thought i had AA" when i actually had A4. at least i rechecked on turn though and saved myself some money/embarrassment.

EDIT: pretty sure there's a clip of phil ivey not rechecking his hand and folding a flush during the main event last year or the previous one. even the best make mistakes.

EDIT 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTfcnyHtz88
  • its happened to all of us....but.....imo....a6 sooted is not a monster, unless you are being facitious..;)