Weeknight Tournament format suggestions

I was thinking about having a small $20 tournament, and Tuesday night happens to work best for me since my wife will be out of town :D

So I am looking for suggestions on the number of chips at the start and the blind and payout schedule.
I plan on having two tables so min 14 players, max 20.
I have tonnes of chips, so chip counts and colouring up won't be an issue.
And since it is a weeknight, I want to be done in about 4 hours (so my friends aren't in trouble with their wives).

Thanks!

Comments

• Would like to play and can bring people.
    Post here. Thanks
  • I was thinking about having a small $20 tournament, and Tuesday night happens to work best for me since my wife will be out of town :D

So I am looking for suggestions on the number of chips at the start and the blind and payout schedule.
    I plan on having two tables so min 14 players, max 20.
    I have tonnes of chips, so chip counts and colouring up won't be an issue.
    And since it is a weeknight, I want to be done in about 4 hours (so my friends aren't in trouble with their wives).

Thanks!
    Wait, I dont have to host? I think Im in!

Send me some details pokercave@gmail.com

If you want suggestions for blinds etc ask away, you
    can also look up www.homepokertourneys.com
  • Redington wrote:
    Wait, I dont have to host? I think Im in!

Patience grasshopper ... I don't think I am up to WPC standards yet (although I haven't made it there in person to date).

I think I need a couple practice tourney with the boys from work just to figure out what it takes to host successfully. I also don't think that my work buddies are at your (speaking metaphorically towards all of the wonderful posters on this forum) level of play yet. Terms like EV, pot-odds and even "fold" are above most of these players. We have been playing $2 games at lunch to make sure everyone at least knows the game rules and how to post blinds.

You mentioned tournament director in another post, I was wondering if you had a link for it, I was getting job postings for softball tournament directors in the states when I ran it through google :tongue:

Thanks for all of the interest! Actaully, response rate is a little slow, so check back Tuesday morning, I might make this a public tournament.
  • It is now a little short notice for me, but I would be interested in another one if you have it.
  • Patience grasshopper ... I don't think I am up to WPC standards yet (although I haven't made it there in person to date).

I think I need a couple practice tourney with the boys from work just to figure out what it takes to host successfully. I also don't think that my work buddies are at your (speaking metaphorically towards all of the wonderful posters on this forum) level of play yet. Terms like EV, pot-odds and even "fold" are above most of these players. We have been playing $2 games at lunch to make sure everyone at least knows the game rules and how to post blinds.

You mentioned tournament director in another post, I was wondering if you had a link for it, I was getting job postings for softball tournament directors in the states when I ran it through google :tongue:

Thanks for all of the interest! Actaully, response rate is a little slow, so check back Tuesday morning, I might make this a public tournament.

Here's the link:

http://www.homepokertourney.com/downloads.htm

There is tonnes of info there,

As for blinds, it kinda depends on the chips you have. If you enough, I would suggest you go 20 minutes each blind to make it a 4 hour tourney. If you don't use the software then go ahead and use a microwave otr a kitchen timer.

Here's a blind sched that I use, and without rebuys it ends up being about 4 1/2 hours for 32 players.

10/20, 20/40, 25/50
    40/80, 50/100, 75/150
    100/200, 150/300, 200/400
    300/600, 400/800, 500/1000
    750/1500, 1000/2000 and double every twenty minutes from there.

I would imagine that this tourney would be over by 3 hours, (it takes alot of folding and patience to get to 4 hours :) )

Email if you have any questions
  • Patience grasshopper ... I don't think I am up to WPC standards yet (although I haven't made it there in person to date).

BTW, thanks for this. Im sure alot of people would say we have NO standards!

:tongue::D